Texas Hunting Forum

Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy

Posted By: yakinthebox

Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 03:48 PM

Hey guys, There is a spot that I hunt on public that is basically several coves that make up a much larger cove. There is one small cove in particular that is adjacent to a neighborhood. I've already spoken to the local game warden who told me it is fine to hunt this area just not the first cove since it is within 200ish yards of the houses.

Last year I had a problem where ducks would slowly trickle into this first cove and then more and more would follow into that cove and completely bypass where I am hunting. Hard to compete with the real thing ya know.

Here is my question. Have any of you guys ever used a bird of prey type decoy to keep the ducks out of a certain area? I was thinking I could get a couple of those owl decoys that people put on roofs and decks and place them on posts out in that cove and maybe that would deter the ducks from going up in there. But I also don't want to completely spook them out of the larger area.

Anyone ever had a similar situation? I know, I'm overthinking but it is frustrating to watch dozens and dozens of ducks pile into an area that is just 100 yards out of range...

~yakinthebox
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 03:52 PM

If it's not to far of a walk then park the boat in that first cove. It will flair birds out of there. Never heard of the "bird of prey" approach but I think it'd be worth a shot. I've heard of crazier things working

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 03:54 PM

We use kayaks to hunt this area but that is actually a great idea. Not sure why that didn't cross my mind...
Posted By: Cbog34

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 04:10 PM

We have set up orange streamers in fields to keep ducks and geese out works great if there is a little wind blowing, much cheaper and easier to haul in than 4 or 5 owl decoys.
Posted By: Migillicutty

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 04:10 PM

Swan decoys. Ducks hate big swans.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 04:48 PM

Mirrors on floats on top of the water will work on a sunny day I've heard. The glare is supposed to flare them. parking your kayak in the hole will be much easier though and just as effective.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 05:18 PM

This is brilliant. Why do I spend all this time hiding my boat and then get frustrated that birds are landing right next to it?
Posted By: Blake E.

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 07:40 PM

Swans. Just takes two in the middle close to each other. Paint you two geese decoys solid white. It will work like a champ. Swans kill ducklings, so i heard. I have to run them off of my tank sometimes. Next day, ducks.

Re: Owl/hawk/falcon Decoy - 01/12/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Blake E.
Swans. Just takes two in the middle close to each other. Paint you two geese decoys solid white. It will work like a champ. Swans kill ducklings, so i heard. I have to run them off of my tank sometimes. Next day, ducks.

So I guess that explains the ugly duckling then. They'd of killed his a$$ if he wasn't a swan. Lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum