Texas Hunting Forum

European Duck Mount?

Posted By: wrensunrise

European Duck Mount? - 01/12/17 02:00 AM

So my friend recently got my gears turning... Have any of yall seen a Euro duck. We were talking about how neat a shadow box or something similar would look in a man cave with all the different breeds we've shot in it. Ideally we'd like to keep the color of the bill so you could distinguish them. Problem is that its basically a membrane and wouldn't make it through the boiling water. I was thinking of maybe coating the bill in an epoxy first? Anyways was wondering if any of you taxidermy guys have any suggestions or if i should give up on this endeavor.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: European Duck Mount? - 01/12/17 02:20 AM

worthless
Posted By: wrensunrise

Re: European Duck Mount? - 01/12/17 02:38 AM

Haha well if I had pictures I would post them. I'm just looking for some advice. I'll post with my finished product whenever i decide how to do it
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: European Duck Mount? - 01/12/17 03:30 AM

Taxidermists throw away the bill along with the rest of the skull and replace it with a cast replica. See this link:

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Waterfowl-Heads-C966.aspx
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: European Duck Mount? - 01/12/17 03:47 AM

Look up Whitebone taxidermy on YouTube. He has done some pheasant, etc. Best way to do it would probably be to skin the head before boiling and maybe even cut the entire bill off and epoxy that to keep it preserved (or soak it in a solution of alcohol and glycerin). One the rest of the skull was bleached you could reattach the bill.

Otherwise, boil it all and then paint the bill to match what the duck used to be.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum