Texas Hunting Forum

Youth Duck Gun

Posted By: js4242

Youth Duck Gun - 01/09/17 07:43 PM

Question for folks that have been in a simialr situation - My son is 11 5' 93lbs and is getting into wing shooting. We borrowed a Rem 21" 20 gauge semi auto from a friend and he was able to knock down his first duck two weeks ago. He was able to handle the gun just fine, but it looked like he could handle a longer barrel. Researching youth and compact guns, they are either really small (21") which I think he might already have outgrown or models such as the A300 which can get LOP down to 13" but only come in 28" barrels. My question is this - What is the shortest barrel you would use for duck hunting? There are 24" and 26" options out there as well. I am leaning towards a Browning Silver Hunter Micro 20 gauge in 26". My thought process is the following - he has a little sister that is chomping at the bit to start hunting (she is still too young by a couple of years), once he grows into a 12 gauge she can take over that gun, he can get my AL391 and I can get a new one. I can also get a larger stock to have it fit me or him if my younger one decides its not for her. I would like to stick with a gas operated gun as I am familiar with them.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Youth Duck Gun - 01/09/17 08:00 PM

Get a 28 gauge 26 lenght

You will probably ending up using the gun more than him, since its just a sweet caliber
Posted By: rickym

Re: Youth Duck Gun - 01/09/17 08:11 PM

26" 20 gauge is a good idea. I personally think its best to learn with a pump as it helps to slow the kid down some, usually results are better shots
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Youth Duck Gun - 01/09/17 08:12 PM

My son is pretty close to yours is size, age, and weight. We have great success shooting the youth model Remington 1187.
Posted By: Leonardo

20ga
Posted By: RayB

Since you seam to like Beretta, try the A-400 I have a xplor in 20 that I took teal hunting and it was great 26" barrel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum