Texas Hunting Forum

Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters

Posted By: Hopedale

Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 12/31/16 05:22 PM

Does this look about right?

Posted By: sallysue

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 12/31/16 05:47 PM

yes they sure aint here good
Posted By: Kilo11

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 12/31/16 06:39 PM

I keep seeing how bad the ducks hunting is in Central Texas, but I've hunted in the area 11 times this month (same hole) and gotten limits all but once...and that one time was because we got 11 and then started letting ducks go so that we could see if anything cool came in.

A month ago, it was almost nothing but Wigeon. Now it's Greys and GWT.

Now, I'll admit that I may just be in the right spot, but for a hole to be hunted every 3rd day and still be a consistent limit-producer (up to 3-man) means that there are plenty of ducks in the area. If they were just local ducks using that hole, it would have been shot out the first week.

I also see hundreds of ducks on private lakes/ponds driving in and out too. I'm talking covered up.

confused2
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 12/31/16 07:53 PM

Go ride around in East Bell and you won't see maybe 10 or so in all the ponds

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/01/17 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Kilo11
I keep seeing how bad the ducks hunting is in Central Texas, but I've hunted in the area 11 times this month (same hole) and gotten limits all but once...and that one time was because we got 11 and then started letting ducks go so that we could see if anything cool came in.

Now, I'll admit that I may just be in the right spot, but for a hole to be hunted every 3rd day and still be a consistent limit-producer (up to 3-man) means that there are plenty of ducks in the area. If they were just local ducks using that hole, it would have been shot out the first week.

I also see hundreds of ducks on private lakes/ponds driving in and out too. I'm talking covered up.

confused2

Glad you're on them. I've only seen a few birds here and there, and that's been on different days.

I've driven to Lake Whitney and back and only saw one group on a private tank.

What's frustrating is there are folks that don't post on the forum that hunt different areas and they've said the same thing. The birds just aren't here.

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/01/17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Originally Posted By: Kilo11

confused2

Glad you're on them. I've only seen a few birds here and there, and that's been on different days.

I've driven to Lake Whitney and back and only saw one group on a private tank.

What's frustrating is there are folks that don't post on the forum that hunt different areas and they've said the same thing. The birds just aren't here.

The honey hole I've been wearing out is east of I-35, west of I-45. Maybe they're just real concentrated in that corridor and I may just be lucky enough to be in the right spot. I'm sure it's been frustrating for some folks, no doubt.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/01/17 01:43 AM

All my indicator ponds in easter McLennan county had ducks on them the day before yesterday and today. Some ponds that normally don't have ducks even had them.

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/01/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: bull279
All my indicator ponds in easter McLennan county had ducks on them the day before yesterday and today. Some ponds that normally don't have ducks even had them.

That's encouraging.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/01/17 05:48 PM

Bonham area- unless you have good water has been mediocre all year. Severe drought since summer.

We have been wacking them pretty good in Van Zandt Co. all about water in N Tx. Too much isn't good in certain areas- not enough in others.

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/02/17 11:51 PM

Well riding around a little yesterday I found a few birds, but not located where you can hunt them.

Hope this front pushes some down and freezes up some water north of us.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/03/17 03:54 AM

Nothing on my tank, nothing at all. Crazy year for sure

Re: Treebass, Sallysue, Deckhand, and other Central Texas Hunters - 01/04/17 05:34 PM

Still got limits this morning on the honey hole, but only saw a dozen or so birds on each of the ponds/lakes that are usually covered up.

The birds this morning acted like fresh birds, worked and decoyed very well. We didn't see nearly as much traffic as usual, but they decoyed within face-shooting range so it was a high-percentage hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum