Texas Hunting Forum

What's your favorite waterfowl gun?

Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 08:44 PM

Be it the one you have now or one you used to have and wish you had back....let us know why you like the particular gun over others.....
Posted By: sallysue

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 09:09 PM

Benelli Cordoba tough as a boot
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 09:22 PM

Benelli SBE 2
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 09:28 PM

My Maxus

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 09:39 PM

Any of you want to elaborate as to why you like these particular guns? I'm shooting an M2 and like it so far (3 years). Bought this due to all the shooting we do while chasing snow geese for weeks on end. Was shooting an 870 prior and it ain't fun to shoot 500 rounds of 3 1/2 in a week! The M2 is much easier on the shoulder. However just this year I've had two occasions when the bolt did not close all the way and not allowing me to make a follow up shot. Not sure why this is as I've cleaned it and it happened again. Replaced both springs so I'm going to call Benelli and see what they say. Could be just something small
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 09:53 PM

I like my new A5 but have shot the SBE2 and really liked it. I'll be getting one at some point but it's on a long list of toys I want..haha

My new A5 has been good and I only had one issue that was my fault. The cap on the tube is somewhat hard to get screwed back on correctly and I unknowingly cross threaded it. I shot it on a duck hunt and blew the cap, tube cap, plug and spring out of it in the water never to be seen again. The barrel of course came detached from the receiver and when I pushed it back down another shell fired off scaring the crap out of me. I sent it back with letter explaining what happened. Even though it was my fault..they went through it, replaced the parts needed, sent it back cleaned and in working order free of charge. It has been shooting flawlessly ever since.

So make sure you get your cap screwed back on good and tight.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 10:05 PM

I've had my Benelli for 15 years. Short answer is it fits me and I've shot it a lot.

1.I like inertia- it's super easy to clean and reliable. I spray a dry lube/cleaner spray on the action and run a quick bore snake and you're done. I've shot light loads and magnum loads through it with no problem.
2.It's light for a 12 gauge.
3. I like the recoil system- the rubber cheek pad really reduces felt recoil.
4. I like the slightly raised rib.
Negatives
1. Shooting straight up at geese with 3.5 shells will beat the crap out of your finger. Squared off trigger guard.
2. Trigger and shoulder strap attachments will rust if hunting on the coast. I don't know why they didn't use a better coating. (They might have corrected this. Mine is 15 years old)
3. You have to make sure the bolt locks if you close it quietly.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 10:53 PM

aim
Any gun,I can lay my hand on,,
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 11:24 PM

Benelli SBE2

Having said that...if Winchester would get on the ball and offer a lefty Super X3, there would be a Benelli for sale immediately.
Posted By: Centurion

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/18/16 11:25 PM

My Pre War Double trigger Browning Superposed.

Posted By: Kilo11

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 12:16 AM

Either an old school A5 or an SBEII.

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 12:27 AM

Adchunts, I have shot a few of the SX3's that a few buds shoot and have already been pricing them out....
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 01:09 AM

I've been shooting a 28ga ultralight this season. About half our hunts are pretty far walk ins and it weighs just right at 5lbs. Downside is you have to take your shots fairly close and cripples can get expensive.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 02:33 AM

MODB 3.5 Cynergy. It fits me well and it always goes bang. No worry about it jamming up regardless of how dirty or wet it gets. Plus, it's dead sexy...
Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 03:06 AM

Winchester Model 12 Black Diamond Trap
Posted By: Caviel

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 03:55 AM

Benelli super vinci, light weight
Posted By: elGato

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 05:03 PM

I hunt with the Benelli M2. Super Light and can shoot and shoot well all day long. But my favorite is my Grandpa's Winchester 1200 pump. I actually shoot better with it and enjoy shooting the pump.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 05:17 PM

My two favorite

A500G and 870

Posted By: DeerBeAfraid

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/19/16 06:00 PM

Mossberg 835 pump. Only has like 5 moving parts so strippable and cleanable anywhere anytime
Posted By: CarolinaPete

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/23/16 03:36 PM

another vote for the Benelli SBE II
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/23/16 04:10 PM

I LOVE my Winchester SXP waterfowl.
Posted By: texasballs12

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 05:46 AM

I know there has been a lot of votes for the SBE II, but after finally owning one, I hated it. I switched to a Beretta Urika and LOVE it.
Posted By: BDB

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: texasballs12
I know there has been a lot of votes for the SBE II, but after finally owning one, I hated it. I switched to a Beretta Urika and LOVE it.

I'm beginning to agree. I love the SBE II for dove and any other game that takes lighter loads (never jams) but with duck loads MY SBE II is quiet sensitive. If I mount it perfectly it will do its job but there are times we get in awkward shooting positions. It jams up frequently. And sense I got me a browning citori 20g for dove this past year the SBE II is on the chopping block!
Posted By: texasballs12

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 06:10 AM

I'm beginning to agree. I love the SBE II for dove and any other game that takes lighter loads (never jams) but with duck loads MY SBE II is quiet sensitive. If I mount it perfectly it will do its job but there are times we get in awkward shooting positions. It jams up frequently. And sense I got me a browning citori 20g for dove this past year the SBE II is on the chopping block!
[/quote]

You took the words out of my mouth. I had so many issues with my SBE II that I sold it after one season. I wanted to love it so badly because of how much everyone talks it up, but I was so disappointed. After switching to my Urika, I do not even see a necessity in a gun chambered for 3 1/2" shells, I do more than ok with my 3" shells.

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 12:41 PM

I think you can get a lemon with any brand/model. One gun you don't typically hear anything bad about is the Berreta A400 Exteme. I've shot it several times and it just feels funny to me. It has a different feel to it and sound. My friend has put everything down his A400 from the cheapest dove loads to the best steel with no issues so I may just have to get one a get used it.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
I think you can get a lemon with any brand/model. One gun you don't typically hear anything bad about is the Berreta A400 Exteme. I've shot it several times and it just feels funny to me. It has a different feel to it and sound. My friend has put everything down his A400 from the cheapest dove loads to the best steel with no issues so I may just have to get one a get used it.

Have had them all. A400 extreme is flawless out of box. Shot dozen 3.5 shells to break it in. Hung up on first cycle and never after that. I am also left handed and the shims can accommodate all. Make sure you pattern your guns at 15, 20, 30, 40 yards. My pattern was 80% above the x. Dropped the stock (I like low gun for hunting) were the barrel is basically not visible on tight mount. Used it last 2 days and really stoning ducks dead up to about 35 yards.

I always make sure my target guns fit- neglected duck guns lately and it can be very frustrating. Make sure any gun you are shooting patterns were it is supposed to. Especially the sub gauges

For all the inertia driven guns- remember, they tend to run better a little dirty/ oiled up. these gas versions run better on the clean side
Posted By: txmudder

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 03:32 PM

Shotgun
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 03:39 PM

My Browning Maxus
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 04:45 PM

Beretta 3901 is what I shoot now. I have never really had any issues with it. I just bought an SX3 and am looking forward to shooting that. I have shot both the SBE2 and the Maxus and liked the Maxus best of all however heard that the SX3 is a lot like it but cheaper. I hope so.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 04:48 PM

Winchester sx3. Never a single jam for me in 8 years of use in all three length shells
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 07:11 PM

Benelli Córdoba. Decided I really didn't need to shoot 3 1/2" shells.

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/24/16 10:35 PM

Anyone able to pick up the new SX4? I saw just three places that have them in stock....I want one
Posted By: creeksidelc

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/25/16 03:35 AM

Mossberg 835. Abused one for 10 years and it was a champ. Everyone screams how good beneli are so I bought a nova last year. Absolutely hate it and have had many problems. Back to the old mossberg I go and as soon as I can sell the nova or trade it I will have a second 835. They are simple dependable guns and that's all it takes to kill ducks.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/25/16 06:35 AM

My favorite is my Berreta a-400 becuase I do a lot of shooting ( hunting plus take clients and family and friends to shoot clays) so the recoil system is a big bonus to me plus I like that I can shoot 3.5s for when geese or Sandhills are the target
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/26/16 11:19 AM

Browning Silver 3.5" 12 gauge. I also have a new model A5. I like the Silver better.
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/27/16 03:59 AM

Been very happy with my new Remington V3.
Posted By: Erny

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/27/16 04:03 AM

12 Gauge 870 Remington

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/27/16 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Bluesea112
Browning Silver 3.5" 12 gauge. I also have a new model A5. I like the Silver better.

I have both also but like my A5 for waterfowl and my silver for dove.

If you are thinking about the silver you might as well just get the Maxus or SX3 they are just about the same gun.
Posted By: Greg

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/27/16 05:04 AM

Can't say anything bad about my M1super90. Main reasons I like it is because it always goes boom and it fits me great. I bought it about 15 yrs ago specifically for a duck gun. Knowing I was going to be shooting mag loads through it, I also bought the mercury filled recoil reducer that screws into the butt of the gun. It adds a little weight, but man it tames those 3" Hevi-shot that I like to shoot. I give it up up
Posted By: Misfire

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/27/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg
Can't say anything bad about my M1super90. Main reasons I like it is because it always goes boom and it fits me great. I bought it about 15 yrs ago specifically for a duck gun. Knowing I was going to be shooting mag loads through it, I also bought the mercury filled recoil reducer that screws into the butt of the gun. It adds a little weight, but man it tames those 3" Hevi-shot that I like to shoot. I give it up up

Yup, I couldn't agree more. My M1 Super 90 has been on 3-Gun duty for about 5 years and after MANY thousands of rounds, it is still going strong.

Posted By: smirly22

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/29/16 01:01 PM

Remington 870 express magnum. Accurate, affordable, and always goes bang...unless I forget to put shells in it. A couple years back I stripped it down and painted it with a rough camo pattern. I've been shooting the stock modified choke until this week. I bought a carlsons long range choke, so far I like it even better. With my budget, I have a hard time justifying spending top dollar on a waterfowl gun that I know will get wet, and muddy.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/29/16 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Kilo11
....an old school A5.

Mine is a Belgian made in 1965.

It emerged from its original box in October 2016. I have yet to christen my Citori White Lightning, hopefully sooner than the A5.
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/29/16 05:43 PM

I like the way you guys share what you use for hunting without putting down other brands and just enjoy what you have and respect what others have . Another shotgun forum I'm on are mostly trap/skeet shooters and worry more about recoil than what load you use . Some of those are ridiculous !
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/29/16 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ronlhodges
I like the way you guys share what you use for hunting without putting down other brands and just enjoy what you have and respect what others have .

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

I can respect others use of what I consider to be an inferior product without criticizing them. What I usually do say is, "If you buy cheap you get cheap."
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/30/16 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
Originally Posted By: ronlhodges
I like the way you guys share what you use for hunting without putting down other brands and just enjoy what you have and respect what others have .

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

I can respect others use of what I consider to be an inferior product without criticizing them. What I usually do say is, "If you buy cheap you get cheap."

I can repect that and know it as a fact but I also know you buy what you can afford . But a BIG FACT is all brands have their share of .... Lemons ... wink .
Posted By: Razzorduck

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 12/31/16 11:34 AM

Still shooting my Browning Gold Hunter black matte 12g. No failures for going on 20 years now.
Posted By: cactusflyr

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/01/17 03:26 AM

M1 super 90 or browning a5 magnum 12....depending on my mood
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/01/17 05:37 PM

Remington 870, 12 gauge, 3" shells, 28" barrel, Rem-Chokes, Ventilated Rib, dual beads, wood stocks, and parkerized. I have been using this gun for 20+ years.
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/01/17 07:02 PM

Beretta -- ES100 Pintail 12g Auto
Posted By: Imaguide

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/01/17 07:43 PM

Beretta 391 Urika hunted it 15 seasons been to Saskatchewan Canada 12 times, Arkansas timber, Utah mallards, and 90 days of hunting on the costal prairie of Texas each year. The most dependable auto on the planet, except the Beretta 303 which have 2 in retirement.
Posted By: progolferv1

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/01/17 09:53 PM

benelli SBE
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/02/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: progolferv1
benelli SBE

welcome
Posted By: hensonjd

Re: What's your favorite waterfowl gun? - 01/02/17 02:20 PM

Been using the Winchester sx3 for 5 years without a single problem.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum