Texas Hunting Forum

Indicater lake ?

Posted By: BDB

Indicater lake ? - 11/28/16 02:42 PM

Anybody know if the small lake between the north end of runway at Meacham and 820 is an indicator lake? That thing was loaded yesterday while coming back into town. Could have been loaded with coots though.
Posted By: NativeTxn

Re: Indicater lake ? - 11/28/16 03:48 PM

I don't know if it is an indicator lake or not but it was loaded with ducks last weekend also. My guess is they know they are safe there so they are just hanging out.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Indicater lake ? - 11/28/16 04:32 PM

There is a small lake in a shopping center that I fish a lot. It always has birds on it. Drove by it yesterday for the first time this season and it had 100-120 ducks on it. Hoping that's an indicator.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Indicater lake ? - 11/28/16 05:47 PM

There is a lake to the north side of 820 just west of Meacham field prior to Old Decatur down in the quarry, it usually draws a ton of birds too.
Posted By: creeksidelc

Re: Indicater lake ? - 11/29/16 01:52 AM

For a list of indicator lakes check out the tpwd website for their locations. If the lake isn't on that list it doesn't mean anything even if is got birds on it. Haha. Just playing. If it's covered up in birds it's indicating that ducks are in the area. It seems like here they don't necesarilly use the same lakes year in and out but when we start seeing lakes with a bunch of birds it means hey are here.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Indicater lake ? - 11/29/16 05:35 AM

Both the quarry and the mecham lake we pass once a week, they've been loaded up for a while now. The ducks are here and there around the metroplex and out west we ve seen a few places absolutely covered then some places have none. Travel all over for work. So we see places from Texas to Philadelphia 2 to 3 times a week.
Posted By: smirly22

Re: Indicater lake ? - 11/29/16 12:21 PM

Im a little north of the metroplex. There's one farm pond that i pass daily. The last 2 years i never did too well until it held ducks. Yesterday was the first day ducks have been on it so i am hoping for a good 2nd split!
Posted By: gitthanet

Re: Indicater lake ? - 12/02/16 04:44 PM

I live near said lake and yes I do cosider it an "indicator lake". The old pit across 820 too. When it's really windy, watch the ducks leave "cement creek res" (name of said lake) and move to the old pit. It's mostly coots and divers though. The lake is big with bird watchers. I know because they looked like hunters.... But had just cameras. They caught my attention laying in camo....i monitor both bodies of water with binoculars almost daily.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum