Texas Hunting Forum

Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February

Posted By: Hopedale

Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 01:34 PM

popcorn
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 01:38 PM

I'm for it....
Posted By: pervis

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 01:58 PM

I think that's a better idea for sure. I'm in Arkansas right now. Every feild was covered up 2 yrs ago w ducks, it was crazy. Last yr not so much this yr not so much. Today I've only seen just a handful of ducks on ponds or feild.
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 02:49 PM

Just take out the split and open a week later and I'd be happy. 5 day split is just plain stupid.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Just take out the split and open a week later and I'd be happy. 5 day split is just plain stupid.
agree with you
Posted By: smirly22

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 03:29 PM

Ya, i really dont understand the 5 day split. Unless we get a big freeze up north, we're still going to hunting stale birds. Im all for opening mid/ late November and running into February.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 04:35 PM

I always heard the reason it ends in January was because the biologists said they really started to pair up in February. And that it was a federal regulation.

That definitely seems to be when Texas starts seeing bigger numbers, though. I agree with FowlDreams, though. That sounds ideal.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/27/16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I always heard the reason it ends in January was because the biologists said they really started to pair up in February. And that it was a federal regulation.

That definitely seems to be when Texas starts seeing bigger numbers, though. I agree with FowlDreams, though. That sounds ideal.

I believe that's correct. Federal mandate
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 01:20 AM

Better yet they should start at Jan 31 and go backwards 74 days(Feds only allow seasons to go till Jan 31 and central flyway is 74 days excluding hpmmu). Whatever date that lands on is opening day regardless of the day of the week and end on Jan 31 regardless of the day as well.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 02:11 AM

Better yet they should start at Jan 31 and go backwards 74 days(Feds only allow seasons to go till Jan 31 and central flyway is 74 days excluding hpmmu). Whatever date that lands on is opening day regardless of the day of the week and end on Jan 31 regardless of the day as well.

That makes way too much sense.

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler

That's what they say but I still don't see what difference it makes if I kill a duck in January or in February. That's still one less duck to breed either way.
Posted By: smirly22

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 03:15 AM

Always kills me to see huge numbers of ducks after close. But i always tell myself, "next year will be even better." The last couple yesrs, thats been a lie.

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 03:25 AM

That makes way too much sense.

Or add 5 days (split) to the starting day- 12th or 14th whatever it was. That would put u starting on a week day so it would require some type of split...... hammer maybe that's what they did already?

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

That's what they say but I still don't see what difference it makes if I kill a duck in January or in February. That's still one less duck to breed either way.

Or if you take 2 mallard hens, your done for the day! Geez they had the old point system which I understand was rediculous to remember, and changed from year to year?

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 03:40 AM

Or if you take 2 mallard hens, your done for the day! Geez they had the old point system which I understand was rediculous to remember, and changed from year to year?

Speaking of mallards....why is it that the most populated duck on the continent has a lower limit and is the only one with a hen restriction???
Posted By: john paul

Re: Cuz its slow - lets talk about why the season should open mid November and extend to mid February - 11/28/16 08:19 PM

Speaking of mallards....why is it that the most populated duck on the continent has a lower limit and is the only one with a hen restriction???

I kinda was wondering the same thing the other day. Why do some people make a big deal out of shooting hen mallards but not other ducks that have a much lower population
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum