Texas Hunting Forum

Skyblasters

Posted By: ntxaviator

Skyblasters - 11/15/16 05:30 PM

Went and hunted one of our coves Saturday morning, left the boat ramp at 0400, got all set up and hidden by 0500. 30 minutes before LST, another boat rolls in and after shining them off with every light we had, they proceeded to set up less than 100 yds from our spot. 15 minutes before LST, they were blasting away, scaring off the 15 wood ducks already in our spread. As the morning progressed they continued to skyblast birds WAAY out of range and had their dekes packed up and leaving the cove by 0800. We continued hunting and scratched out 2 teal and a greenhead. The most crucial time for our spot right during the first hour or so was wrecked. I love duck hunting and love the challenge of the weather/ water/ other people but GEEZ! Anybody else have similar trouble last weekend?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 05:45 PM

Sunday my hunting buddy sky busted all morning, it's ok, I enjoyed giving him crap.
Posted By: Centurion

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 05:49 PM

Yep, Got to the ramp right before shooting time. No place to park so we just left the truck on the ramp. Running down the lake we had some guys in a cove signal us. Looked like they were pointing their lights at a point right by them. We thought this was nice of them so we set up. We had ducks in the decoys early and smoked them. Had a great shoot. Burned lots of shells. At Cracker Barrel by 8:45 for breakfast. Not having to back the truck down the ramp saved us a bunch of time. Think we will hit it again next weekend.
Posted By: triggerbowtx

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Centurion
Yep, Got to the ramp right before shooting time. No place to park so we just left the truck on the ramp. Running down the lake we had some guys in a cove signal us. Looked like they were pointing their lights at a point right by them. We thought this was nice of them so we set up. We had ducks in the decoys early and smoked them. Had a great shoot. Burned lots of shells. At Cracker Barrel by 8:45 for breakfast. Not having to back the truck down the ramp saved us a bunch of time. Think we will hit it again next weekend.

haha roflmao
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 06:04 PM

Thats the reason I dont hunt public
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 06:34 PM

Setup two hunting spots and they will have go further down. As as you see them heading your way everyone split up with lights flashing like crazy. grin banana
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 07:24 PM

We were in the mix. Lots of wayyyyy early shooting too.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 07:43 PM

If they're blasting before LST, I call the local Game Warden immediately. I'll guarantee he will respond. But yes, I've had many a public duck hunt ruined by skyblasters who haven't a clue.

Called on a group shooting doves after sundown several years ago. They kept shooting 'til dark, about 10 minutes AFTER the GW arrived at my location roflmao . Turned into a really good call as multiple citations were issued plus a couple arrested for drugs and outstanding warrants.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 07:51 PM

underrated post.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 08:24 PM

Just buy some land with a small lake on it....problem solved.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 09:09 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 10:41 PM

you win the internet today, roflmao
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Skyblasters - 11/15/16 11:51 PM

Meh...

First morning below 40 degrees will start shaking out the barneys so the rest of us can get it on.

I've had people setup 25-30 yards from me before within 15 minutes of LST after I had 3 dozen blocks out. Upwind from me with 6 hot buy mallard. Challenge me at the boat ramp afterwards for shooting ducks heading to their spread.

Takes all kinds.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 12:34 AM

Yep, had the same experience this weekend..

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Windrider
Meh...

First morning below 40 degrees will start shaking out the barneys so the rest of us can get it on.

I've had people setup 25-30 yards from me before within 15 minutes of LST after I had 3 dozen blocks out. Upwind from me with 6 hot buy mallard. Challenge me at the boat ramp afterwards for shooting ducks heading to their spread.

Takes all kinds.

A boat launch challenge? Screw that Ida had that one settled way before we headed in
Posted By: creeksidelc

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 03:08 AM

Nothing worse than skyblasters and people that set up on you. Everyone would kill more ducks if we spread out and only shoot at ducks with their feet down. Anyone can go shoot passing ducks but you might as well just go shoot skeet. The real fun and challenge in duck hunting is decoying the birds and we can all do more of that if we put more space between us and less skyblasting.
Posted By: smirly22

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 03:14 AM

Had a similar issue Sunday. Got set up at 5am, 2 guys set up about 125 yds away, that didnt bother me. I figured it may be crowded but hoped everyone would be considerate. No such luck... about 10min before LST they started blowing a "duck call". Im no pro duck caller by any means, but man... it was rough listening to someone call like that every minute alllllll morning long. They shot at a group of 3 mallards coming into our spread that were at least 80yds away from them. Those mallards scooted away fast as they could. Then they proceeded to shoot impossible shots. They even called and shot at cormorants, and they were over 100yds off, no exaggeration. Pretty aggravating morning. Could have been worse of course, but I just wish people would show a little common sense or at least learn what they are shooting at.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 04:50 PM

I rarely see other hunters and we hunt public every hunt. confused2
Posted By: dsw1000

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: smirly22
Had a similar issue Sunday. Got set up at 5am, 2 guys set up about 125 yds away, that didnt bother me. I figured it may be crowded but hoped everyone would be considerate. No such luck... about 10min before LST they started blowing a "duck call". Im no pro duck caller by any means, but man... it was rough listening to someone call like that every minute alllllll morning long. They shot at a group of 3 mallards coming into our spread that were at least 80yds away from them. Those mallards scooted away fast as they could. Then they proceeded to shoot impossible shots. They even called and shot at cormorants, and they were over 100yds off, no exaggeration. Pretty aggravating morning. Could have been worse of course, but I just wish people would show a little common sense or at least learn what they are shooting at.

Man we had the worst ever calling and skybusting last weekend, exactly like you describe. We were there at 4am, and they came rolling in late and were so close we could not just hear talking, we could hear what they were saying. One bad caller was telling the other bad caller he was getting the hang of it, sounded like the national anthem played with a kazoo.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 09:31 PM

Posted By: Guy

Re: Skyblasters - 11/16/16 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben Lilly
I rarely see other hunters and we hunt public every hunt. confused2

Luck maybe? Thought I would tee that up for you. grin
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Skyblasters - 11/17/16 03:53 AM

I'll find out in the morning. I'm feeling lucky.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Skyblasters - 11/18/16 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Windrider
Meh...

Takes all kinds.

The GW is your friend. Pity the fool that tries to pull that sh1t.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum