Texas Hunting Forum

Migration

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Migration - 11/08/16 02:04 PM

In the 11 years that we lived in Ivanhoe TX and had our wetlands property, we could almost always predict the initial migration arrival within a few days. It was preceded by the sudden appearance of Robins and Blackbirds, often in large groups. While sitting on our back porch last night, we realized that the pecan and cedar trees had dozens and dozens of Robins on the branches, with more appearing in the next 15 minutes or so. Even the two dogs noticed it and were looking up towards the chirping sound. Hope that equates to a lot of new ducks and geese arriving for you guys this coming weekend.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Migration - 11/08/16 02:47 PM

This past weekend was the first time this year seeing Ducks and Sandhills headed south. This is the latest I've ever seen, usually it's mid Oct. Still haven't seen any Geese moving south.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Migration - 11/08/16 03:10 PM

We heard geese the other night....first of the year....
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Migration - 11/08/16 06:50 PM

Was in SD this weekend- saw big groups of sandhill moving south
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Migration - 11/09/16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
In the 11 years that we lived in Ivanhoe TX and had our wetlands property, we could almost always predict the initial migration arrival within a few days. It was preceded by the sudden appearance of Robins and Blackbirds, often in large groups. While sitting on our back porch last night, we realized that the pecan and cedar trees had dozens and dozens of Robins on the branches, with more appearing in the next 15 minutes or so. Even the two dogs noticed it and were looking up towards the chirping sound. Hope that equates to a lot of new ducks and geese arriving for you guys this coming weekend.

Great observation. Never thought about it really, but we did have a large group of robins fly in southern Fannin county Monday and a flock of geese flew over late yesterday afternoon as I was walking the big dog(130+ lbs Anatolian Mix). Geese were so loud the dog watched them fly until nearly out of sight. Haven't seen big flocks of blackbirds yet.

I've noticed a lot of shovelers & wigeons, a few gadwalls and even six redheads and ruddys have arrived. Still waiting for the ring-necks and scaup. It is much later than in years past.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Migration - 11/09/16 01:12 PM

Mallards just showed up in ND last weekend
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Migration - 11/11/16 01:01 AM

Saw groups of geese flying low in Freeport today , and a large group flew over me in Trinity wednesday morning..
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Migration - 11/11/16 01:43 AM

Saw today on the weather channel a storm is hitting the north next week!
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Migration - 11/11/16 03:28 AM

I hope it still works as an indicator Cappy.

I'm just glad I'm getting to go this weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum