Texas Hunting Forum

Duck boat question

Posted By: RDunlevy

Duck boat question - 11/03/16 09:45 PM

I have a 16 foot flat bottom lowe open bow boat. I am buying a 22hp long tail motor this weekend so my outboard can go on my other duck boat. My question is, how necessary is a hand rail when operating a longtail motor? If necessary, any ideas on how to build one or where to buy the accessory? This will be my first mud motor of sorts and Im new to the way it handles etc. I have always used a tiller steer outboard. I appreciate your feedback and advice.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 10:50 PM

very. I have tried to drive one without it and it is very, very dangerous. I would not recommend driving a longtail without a grab bar... just think, you hit a stump running wide open that is just under the lilly pad, where do you think you are gonna go? Me and a buddy of mine both bought 4 man gator hides about 6 years ago. we both have hd7000 surface drives, but he cut the inside of his out and made it an open hulled boat, built a blind on it. we would carry decoys and brush in my boat and use his to hunt out of. well he cut out his grab bar, hit a stump came flying forward and knocked out his 2 front teeth. now we are talking about 2 totally different boat and motors and speeds at which they operate, but ive had a longtail and just take it from someone who has been there before.

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 10:52 PM

your motor should come with a grab bar or at least a purchase option... also buy the 360 swivel so you can swing your motor into the boat while you are pulling it.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 10:57 PM

If you can sit and drive you are ok, but standing you need a grab bar.

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 10:57 PM

who are you buying the motor from?

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
If you can sit and drive you are ok, but standing you need a grab bar.
I wouldn't sit and drive a longtail, the handle is the same height as your head.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 11:11 PM

Even sitting I hold on to the old grab bar.

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Even sitting I hold on to the old grab bar.
yeah I do too even with my surface drive
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck boat question - 11/03/16 11:52 PM

I got a long tail on my momarsh I sit and it works fine. So depends on the rig. I use my grab bar as well on my surface drive when I sit, because it is there, but I would be ok without it, sitting. My point tho, if you stand you need a grab bar, sitting you can get away with out one.
Posted By: RDunlevy

Re: Duck boat question - 11/04/16 07:06 PM

Im buying it from a guy I found on another forum. The motor only has 5 hours on it. Any suggestions where I can find an affordable after market option for a hand rail? I appreciate the feedback. Im looking forward to being able to take my boat back to my hunting spots rather than walk and pull my boat along with me!

Re: Duck boat question - 11/04/16 08:52 PM

Backwater performance systems or call mudbuddy and speak to Michah and tell him what you're looking for.
Posted By: Deerslayer94

Re: Duck boat question - 11/04/16 09:30 PM

Its vital, I built mine, bent a steel pipe into a rectangle, and welded it to a flat sheet then bolted to the floor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum