Texas Hunting Forum

Flock of flickers review

Posted By: skyshark

Flock of flickers review - 10/29/16 08:51 PM

Look really cool on TV. Put two of them out today. One fell over as the dog swam by. Also each one takes three aa batteries. For a six pack of them you need 18 aa batteries. Yikes. In conclusion if you do not have a dog, a bunch of money for batteries, and no wind to knock them over they would be really cool.
Posted By: bentman

Re: Flock of flickers review - 10/30/16 02:54 PM

They work great for dove. Starting Nov 13th I will be using them in SD corn fields. I think they will work better on dry ground.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Flock of flickers review - 10/31/16 03:40 PM

I'm making some flickers out of these motors, old roofing yard signs (wings), 2 liter pop bottles & styrofoam for the body, 2 inch nuts (ballast), and on/off switches from rat shack. I've got some old rechargable NiMH sub-c cells from my RC heli's, I'm gonna bust up the packs and make 3 or 4 cell packs to power them.

http://hobbymasters.com/stevens-1-5-to-4-5v-dc-small-round-can-electric-motor/

I'll spend roughly $4 to make each one plus my time, about an hour for two. I'll let you know how they work.
Posted By: erv

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/01/16 05:48 PM

aerangis can you post pics of your completed product?

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/01/16 08:34 PM

I'll post pics when I get it finished.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/01/16 08:36 PM

You should name yours something better than Flock of F****ers

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/03/16 01:49 PM

I'm naming mine nojo's.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/03/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
I'm making some flickers out of these motors, old roofing yard signs (wings), 2 liter pop bottles & styrofoam for the body, 2 inch nuts (ballast), and on/off switches from rat shack. I've got some old rechargable NiMH sub-c cells from my RC heli's, I'm gonna bust up the packs and make 3 or 4 cell packs to power them.

I'll spend roughly $4 to make each one plus my time, about an hour for two. I'll let you know how they work.

what do you value your time at? Curious how you come out once you figure time that could have been spent on something else.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/03/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

what do you value your time at? Curious how you come out once you figure time that could have been spent on something else.

If its something you enjoy doing then it really doesn't matter.....I tinker with lots of thing that use time I could have been doing something (or nothing) else......

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/03/16 06:24 PM

Using that rationale, I take it you get paid 24/7/365.

I don't.

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/03/16 06:27 PM

Using that rationale, I take it you get paid 24/7/365.

I don't.

I deal in man hour counts and overall costs all day long, I guess these thoughts just come natural to me when trying to figure out if something is worth doing yourself or subbing it out.

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/03/16 06:40 PM

I deal with a lot of BS when I'm on the clock. I don't watch tv or sports, don't party, don't........ It's nice to spend a few hours farting around the shop and tinkering, at least until phone rings and it's back to the salt mines.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/04/16 02:47 AM

If Garrett budgeted 2 hours of his time those things would be worth more than hand carved decoys.

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/04/16 03:00 AM

This is true, I consider my billable time at a much higher rate than most
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/04/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
If Garrett budgeted 2 hours of his time those things would be worth more than hand carved decoys.

I once sold Garrett a decoy for $3 an hour. He tried to get me down to $2 but I held my ground! Learned a good lesson there, I don't work for $3/hr anymore laugh
Posted By: RayB

Re: Flock of flickers review - 11/04/16 06:24 PM

To prevent them from flipping over have you thought about hole sawing the back of an old decoy and setting in the hole and anchor the decoy?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum