Texas Hunting Forum

Dog vests

Posted By: Jobst

Dog vests - 10/19/16 09:22 PM

What is the best dog vest in your opinion? I have seen a bunch from several companies but need to decide.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Dog vests - 10/19/16 09:24 PM

I run the avery vest on my GSP - no complaints yet

Re: Dog vests - 10/19/16 10:06 PM

Thanks hold.
How do you like the handles? I prob won't be using them a whole lot since I don't hu t out of a boat right now but the area I train her sometimes I would need it. Do you feel it is pretty sturdy?

In Plano too so it doesn't get too too cold so I assume the neoprene works well for you on warmth.

Re: Dog vests - 10/19/16 10:08 PM

I have a golden btw so she has a decent coat but is still young.
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Dog vests - 10/19/16 10:42 PM

Avery Boater Vest as well for me and I've never had/nor heard of a complaint. The handles (which I do actually use hauling my dog into the boat) are sturdy and the seams are reinforced.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Dog vests - 10/19/16 10:59 PM

I use an Avery's Boater and one from Cabelas. The zipper on the Avery can be a pain in the butt sometimes. The Cabelas is just velcro.

Re: Dog vests - 10/19/16 11:53 PM

Thanks Zach and foosh
Posted By: teal.slayer14

Re: Dog vests - 10/20/16 02:10 PM

Avery Boater is a great vest. Handles work great for pulling the dog back in the boat.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Dog vests - 10/20/16 02:20 PM

The Avery Boater is my favorite vest, but the newer versions I have seen don't have the flotation on them like the old version. I've used the Cabela's version with flotation and its a pretty good vest. If you hunt ice and cold it makes a huge difference to have a little flotation. Nothing scarier than having a dog get tired/cold on long retrieves when it's below freezing.
Posted By: js4242

Re: Dog vests - 10/20/16 02:44 PM

Cabelas w/ flotation here and no complaints. Never used Avery.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Dog vests - 10/20/16 07:40 PM

Avery works best for me. I put a zip tie on the zipper and it makes it easier to use.
Also I've got a medium that my dog outgrew, free if you want it.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Dog vests - 10/20/16 07:50 PM

I've had the banded brand for 4 seasons now. Originally not super impressed, but after 4 tough years I have no complaints
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Dog vests - 10/20/16 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jobst
Thanks hold.
How do you like the handles? I prob won't be using them a whole lot since I don't hu t out of a boat right now but the area I train her sometimes I would need it. Do you feel it is pretty sturdy?

In Plano too so it doesn't get too too cold so I assume the neoprene works well for you on warmth.

like others have said - handles are solid. I use them from time to time to held load dog up when tired or drag over the side of a boat. The whole thing seems very well built. Doesn't seem to rub my dog raw like some of the other velcro ones I've used. The zipper can be a pain if your dog won't sit still long enough to get the damn thing on like mine but no biggie. Warmth wise it seems to help him retain some core heat. He aint got much coat to work with so anything helps! I'm still convinced he's the dumbest smartest dog I've ever owned. He'll kill himself one day from trying too hard if I let him.
Posted By: Laser123

Re: Dog vests - 10/21/16 05:13 AM

I've been thru a bunch of em.
The Avery Boater is by far the best. Be prepared to do some cutting around the front legs to keep it from rubbing an making sores.
Have a great season
Nothing like watching a good dog work, that's why I go.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Dog vests - 10/23/16 05:38 AM

I run a banded brand on my gsp. Had a tailor cut it restitch it for a better fit. I use the handles hauling her back in the boat. It's been a good one
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum