Texas Hunting Forum

Boat Led head Lights...

Posted By: Guy

Boat Led head Lights... - 10/15/16 09:53 PM

Want to replace these lights with new led lights. And recommendations?

24 inch across is good. I would like to find two 12 inch lights center mount, that way I can adjust each out, or in. I can find any 12 inch center mount, found these 9 inch ones...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8U...YBJ0NFDD097DWPD

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/15/16 10:24 PM

If I flip the bracket around, looks like this...That is 19 inches across...

I think this 20 inch curve light would easily mount...
https://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Driving...ight+bar+curved
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/15/16 10:51 PM

Rigid /thread

Barney Who put a set on his Pro-Drive, holy cow they are bright. I am having Rick Acouin build me a boat and that is what I am going to use, nothing else to consider.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: David Maas
Rigid /thread

Barney Who put a set on his Pro-Drive, holy cow they are bright. I am having Rick Acouin build me a boat and that is what I am going to use, nothing else to consider.

This 20" light would be good...But $1K for lights? eek2

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/87221
Posted By: pervis

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 04:07 AM

Guy get a rigid spot flood combo light. Use bull bar clamps to mount it. I've got on my Excel a 20in spot flood facing front a 10in spot flood facing front and right and two duallys facing front and left. Shoot me a pm and il tell u some tips.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 04:09 AM

Don't even waste your money on anything other than rigid
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 01:41 PM

Ridgid. However since you have a mudbuddy you are used to replacing stuff, so go with the Chinese crap.

FYI, you want a spot/flood combo
Posted By: Houghtonic

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 02:13 PM

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo...t-bar-54w/1520/

Never had a problem with them on my rig. Had to build the enclosure around for protection from timber.

I did a ton of research to find those lights and would recommend them. At that price it's hard to go wrong as long as they last. I hunted all winter with them and they are very, very bright...haven't had any issues. I chose the two lights instead of one bar so I could slightly angle them out and get wider coverage. I have them fastened tight enough so they won't move, but I can adjust if I put enough force on them. They are switched on my accessory panel via my trolling motor plug. I bought the amber covers in thoughts it would help in deep fog. The jury is out on if it helps or not. The amber covers do act as good dust and road debris protectors. cool2

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Ridgid. However since you have a mudbuddy you are used to replacing stuff, so go with the Chinese crap.

I don't have Judd type money like you to throw at lights, just something else for someone to steal. You realize you could have had 2 yetis for those lights? grin
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 03:15 PM

I paid 150 bucks for this one. It was damaged while being shipped. I called and told them the box was smashed and a bracket was broken. They sent me a brand new bracket and a brand new light bar as well. I couldn't be happier with both of them. My new Polaris came with the 54 inch curved and it is the shizzle.
This is the 150 dollar one.
https://youtu.be/9bZLdSgmdLU

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 05:28 PM

A pair of Rigid spot or flood are $150 on Amazon
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 09:24 PM

I have the new Prodrive 12" 120 watt LED light kit and it is awesome. It's a spot/flood light and is everything I need for a bow mounted stand alone light. It is pricey but comes as a kit with everything needed to install.. light, mount, wire, connectors, switch, qd plugs, hardware, etc.. I also have a bunch of Seelite LEDs for bowfishing and Seelite interior LEDs that are fantastic. I'd recommend anything Seelite.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 10:47 PM

You need a rigid e series 20in spot flood. The pair of lights on amazon are the duallys I use those as my side lighting.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/16/16 10:51 PM

A step above the end series would be the e2 hyperspot, no need for it, the normal entries is plenty. I will have a used pair of duallys soon as I get the time to swap another pair of lights out with a 6in bar
Posted By: Judd

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/17/16 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy

I don't have Judd type money like you to throw at lights, just something else for someone to steal. You realize you could have had 2 yetis for those lights? grin

I have Plashlights.com cubes on my Ranger and they've been good ones. I bought the cheap 22" curved bar for the ProDrive. I'm going to try a $50 light of Amazon before I spend Guy money on a more expensive bar. wink
Posted By: firefightnjoey

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/17/16 04:52 AM

Guy, I bought one of the rigid knock offs on ebay about 3 years ago. Paid like $80 for a 22 inch led bar. Works perfect. They are even cheaper now. Came with plastic mount, so I upgraded it. I have had no problems. I've used them on my boat in floods, rescues, hunting, rain, sleet, you name it.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/17/16 04:51 PM

I went the cheaper amazon way for my light also. No problems yet. I researched it to death and the consensus was.....yes the top name brands are superior but for what were using them for the knockoff stuff we can get from amazon works GREAT. Mine came with a nice aluminum frame to mount it with. I took the glass off and sealed the glass to the frame with sealant. Just get the size you need for what your doing.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/17/16 06:53 PM

I also went the cheap route.. $40 for the 24" spot/flood combo on my 15' duck boat, $60 for the 24" with 4D lense on my 22' mako. Both work great for what I need. The one on the duck boat has been in perfect working order for 2 years now, going on 3 with some serious neglect in the saltwater and elements. I figure If I have to replace it every year for the next 9 years I'd still be coming out ahead.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/18/16 03:35 AM

Ask your buddy mohunter. His turned out very nice.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/18/16 09:33 AM

Just go buy the cheap camo ones at Tractor Supply, they come with a DD sticker, guaranteed limits every time out, provided you don't crash on the way to the hole.

The lights will probably be the cheapest investment on a duck boat, why scrimp on safety?
Posted By: BDB

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:32 AM

Just go buy the cheap camo ones at Tractor Supply, they come with a DD sticker, guaranteed limits every time out, provided you don't crash on the way to the hole.

The lights will probably be the cheapest investment on a duck boat, why scrimp on safety?

If money is no option then I would buy the best money could buy. But money sometimes is an option...and there is plenty of support from guys using the cheaper stuff that you do not have to spend top dollar for a boat light....and that safety was/is not compromised. Or do you have evidence/proof that cheaper lights are a safety issue?
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:39 AM

Plashlights is located here in Texas (League City I believe) and puts out a quality product. I have a 12" mounted on my duck boat and after 3 seasons of abuse, it's still working perfectly. I would never spend the kind of money that Rigid wants for their lights, but that's just me. You can get lights as good as rigid, or very close to it, for less than half the cost and most of them include a great warranty as well. The market is plenty saturated, you have many options!
Posted By: garrett

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:42 AM

Rigid is the yeti of the light world is the conclusion I've drawn from this thread
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 02:20 AM

I mounted a rigid on my yeti!

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: garrett
Rigid is the yeti of the light world is the conclusion I've drawn from this thread

Well hell, why didn't you tell me that a long time ago. Rigid is ordered.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 02:47 AM

Well that's what you get for staying in meetings all day and not returning messages
Posted By: Astater

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: firefightnjoey
Guy, I bought one of the rigid knock offs on ebay about 3 years ago. Paid like $80 for a 22 inch led bar. Works perfect. They are even cheaper now. Came with plastic mount, so I upgraded it. I have had no problems. I've used them on my boat in floods, rescues, hunting, rain, sleet, you name it.
I'd love to have Rigids. They're brighter, will probably last longer and built solid. But I bought cheap ones for my ATV that I run through EVERYTHING and it's going on year 3...I expected 1 or 2 years max, so they've already paid for themselves in my eyes. They're plenty bright. I did silicone them before I even mounted though. I'd def do that on a boat. Oh...and my ATV is stored outside in the elements 80% of the time.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BDB
Or do you have evidence/proof that cheaper lights are a safety issue?

I have had several sets of the Chinese LEDs, from the pods on vehicles to a couple of different bars on my layout, and everyone of them has had to be sealed, whether it was the harness or the lens. Everyone of them has had condensation creep into them eventually. I have never had a set of Rigid lights get condensation in it.

You can spend your money how you wish, but when the visual/clarity differences between them is obvious, why take a chance on a lake in suboptimal conditions.
Posted By: Astater

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 12:52 PM

I have had several sets of the Chinese LEDs, from the pods on vehicles to a couple of different bars on my layout, and everyone of them has had to be sealed, whether it was the harness or the lens. Everyone of them has had condensation creep into them eventually. I have never had a set of Rigid lights get condensation in it.

You can spend your money how you wish, but when the visual/clarity differences between them is obvious, why take a chance on a lake in suboptimal conditions.
Any LED will be an upgrade for him. No chances taken.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:17 PM

I never looked at the price until I saw this thread. Jesus, Joseph and Mary!!!!! If I had your kind of money I would burn mine. I have 3 light bars. That would be 5 grand in their language!
https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-88621-RDS-Light/dp/B00IKGKRNQ

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:18 PM

I never use those lights I currently have, that I posted, those are useless. For the last few years, I use no lights on front of my boat. I got a 12v head lamp with 3 prong plug I use, uses power from boat battery, very bright. All I need really. But it would be nice to have some lights up front as well, and maybe I don't need to mess with the 12v head lamp all the time.

A friend sent me this setup, he said I could post the pic. These are Cree, he has been running this for 4 years and it works great, under $100. I'm going to go the cheap route, I'll make a decision this weekend. I want to put the lights on the gatortrax bracket as shown, comes on and off real easy.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:22 PM

I would go for the on off feature and mount it on the GT light assembly.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 01:37 PM

I have a single 12" bar and it works pretty good but if I had the real estate on the front of the boat and was doing it again, I think I would buy a couple of 10" or 12" bars. One thing that is annoying about a single bar is that the illuminated area moves with different attitudes of the boat. It would be nice to have one adjusted for idle/trolling speeds and another adjusted for running at cruising speed.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 06:01 PM

That's a very nice set up your buddy has. He will regret the mounting brackets that came with the 2 on the outside. I had those exact lights and those brackets are made of very cheap, very thin aluminum. Once the front of the boat bounces around, those brackets will bend very easily. They also don't stay tight. Just something I've learned and experienced. Maybe he's smarter than me and found a better way to mount them though.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 06:47 PM

I have a set of Rigid's and a set of Vision X 4" Cannons under the bench, one set will be on my new boat when it is done.

It's a one and done with a quality set, Wal, you actually putting 54" curved light bars on a boat?

Why do y'all have a mud boat, any old riveted boat will get you there, with an outboard and a push pole, you can go anywhere.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 10:54 PM

My lightbar is sitting on my kitchen table until I can find the right size locknuts that the stores here don't carry.
Last time I got it out to use I had to find the bolts and put it back together as it had vibrated loose.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/19/16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: CinchMan
That's a very nice set up your buddy has. He will regret the mounting brackets that came with the 2 on the outside. I had those exact lights and those brackets are made of very cheap, very thin aluminum. Once the front of the boat bounces around, those brackets will bend very easily. They also don't stay tight. Just something I've learned and experienced. Maybe he's smarter than me and found a better way to mount them though.

Interesting. I think he just added the 2 side lights.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 12:04 AM

I have 3. One on the ranger, one mounted high on the Airboat and a third sitting in the barn. I am probably mounting it to the ducktoon this weekend.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 12:42 AM

Not possible. The cheap ones are just as good as the Rigid. smile

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 05:19 AM

It's sideways as usual. But that's my set up now. It will change in a week. I only use rigid

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 05:20 AM

4 pods and a 20 in for now. Soon to be a 10 on one side 20 in the front and 6 on the other side. Have all the stuff just no time.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 12:06 PM

I think it makes a big difference if you permanently mount them to your boat (as I believe cinchman did), vs what I plan on doing and what my friend did, mount them to the easy on/off gatortrax bracket. I will put them on the way to the duck hole then they will come off and go in storage. You leave them on all the time, especially if you leave your boat outside, water will get in and lights will overall take a beating, in this situation, Rigid quality pays off.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 12:17 PM

My set up now, which I do not even use any more because the lights are not bright at all, but the bracket just pulls on and off, and has a 3 prong plug for power...

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 01:15 PM

I never use those lights I currently have, that I posted, those are useless. For the last few years, I use no lights on front of my boat. I got a 12v head lamp with 3 prong plug I use, uses power from boat battery, very bright. All I need really. But it would be nice to have some lights up front as well, and maybe I don't need to mess with the 12v head lamp all the time.

A friend sent me this setup, he said I could post the pic. These are Cree, he has been running this for 4 years and it works great, under $100. I'm going to go the cheap route, I'll make a decision this weekend. I want to put the lights on the gatortrax bracket as shown, comes on and off real easy.

Was that a written permission or verbal? Will it hold up in a court of law?

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

I think it was a contract signed in blood...why you might ask? Because that's how Guy rolls...unless it's LED's then he's gonna buy the cheap [censored] like me rofl

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

I think it was a contract signed in blood...why you might ask? Because that's how Guy rolls...unless it's LED's then he's gonna buy the cheap [censored] like me rofl

Seems LEGIT

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 03:20 PM

Judd, do you have a picture of your light set up? nuts

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 07:07 PM

Yes, currently this is my light setup. And I didn't ask anyone permission to post it because....well, I'm a baller like that.

grin lol35

Disclaimer - I'm not old enough to have a couch like that and it was a picture I stole from Google, but it is in fact my current light setup.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 07:18 PM

I could see you sitting on that couch jamming out to some Miranda Lambert

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 09:39 PM

I'm trying to post a pic of Judds boat. I had my lawyer draw up a contract giving me permission then had it sent certified mail.

So in a couple days we will be good.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 09:42 PM

I ain't signing it....

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Yes, currently this is my light setup. And I didn't ask anyone permission to post it because....well, I'm a baller like that.

grin lol35

Disclaimer - I'm not old enough to have a couch like that and it was a picture I stole from Google, but it is in fact my current light setup.

I need to build one of those.

And for the record, I never asked for permission to post that pic, a friend texted me the pic, and just offered that I could post it on here. Just didn't want the forum to think if you send me a pic I'll go post it on the net, that would not be cool, I got my internet cred to protect.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/20/16 10:38 PM

Guess I need friends like guys.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/21/16 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: pervis
4 pods and a 20 in for now. Soon to be a 10 on one side 20 in the front and 6 on the other side. Have all the stuff just no time.

Why 10 on one side and 6 on the other? Why not the same on each side? I assume you mean 6 inch and 10 inch lights.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/25/16 02:12 AM

I think it makes a big difference if you permanently mount them to your boat (as I believe cinchman did), vs what I plan on doing and what my friend did, mount them to the easy on/off gatortrax bracket. I will put them on the way to the duck hole then they will come off and go in storage. You leave them on all the time, especially if you leave your boat outside, water will get in and lights will overall take a beating, in this situation, Rigid quality pays off.

I never had a problem with the actual lights. Just the brackets they came with. Never had water or anything get in mine and they worked perfectly. However, I don't see the brackets holding up on those gatortrax the way you guys drive them.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/25/16 05:57 PM

10in on the starboard side 6in on the port side. That way it doesn't interfere with my trolling motor mount.

Re: Boat Led head Lights... - 10/25/16 06:00 PM

Il post some pictures when I do the swap. And get it fully sorted. Should be about a week or so. Waiting on my rigid 40in to show up. Then il be swapping lights around
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum