Texas Hunting Forum

San Antonio duck hunters

Posted By: stevelabo

San Antonio duck hunters - 10/08/16 04:19 PM

From what I'm reading there aren't many options to duck hunt around San Antonio, and most people head to the coast. I've only been duck hunting a few times, and most recently my buddy that was teaching me the ropes, took a job overseas. Right now I mostly fish at the coast and dove/turkey/hog/deer hunt. I'm looking for someone/group that wouldn't mind letting me tag along, or would just be willing to give me some advice. I know that is asking a lot, duck hunters hold on to their spots/secrets like their daughter's innocence. Not looking to take someone's spot, I'm looking for people to hunt with. It would be cool to get a group together in San Antonio and grab a beer and talk duck hunting. First round would be on me. Let me know if anyone would want to hunt, or at least meet up as a group and talk duck hunting. I live in the Cibolo/New Braunfels area.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/08/16 04:36 PM

I probably know less about it than you do, but have been a few times also. Company lawyer took me to Bluewing just south of town a couple of times many years ago. Very hoyty-toydy, country club set (lawyers, doctors, bankers - basically 09ers), but neat to see that old of a private club.

I'll buy a round too, if you can find someone to take us "under their wing". ('Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/08/16 04:52 PM

Shoot me a private message and we can get together for a beer or two sometime

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/08/16 05:59 PM

PM Sent

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/08/16 06:04 PM

Creekrunner,

How did you do at the club? I'm assuming it was mostly for teal? If we don't have a lot of response, I still would be up for grabbing a beer.
Posted By: RayB

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/09/16 01:35 AM

Mind if I join y'all?

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/09/16 03:01 AM

Sounds good to me.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/09/16 05:20 AM

Sure thing. Anyone that wants to can join up. I won't give out my hotspots, but there's lots of great, well-known spots I know of that I won't mind sharing and you're guaranteed to kill birds at. Anyone that's interested, send me a pm and I'll get you my phone number
Posted By: wal1809

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/09/16 02:57 PM

I am sure I will hosting another unnofficial coastal duck hunt again this year. Plan on making that. There will be airboats, regular boats, duck boats. There will be a thread on here. Just join in and buddy up with someone. Last year we didn't have a huge turn out, however we did have a great time.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/09/16 03:03 PM

wal1809, sounds good. I'll try and keep a lookout for that post.
Posted By: JEmberson

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/10/16 02:40 AM

I'll gladly join. There's a few of us in the area that could make a day of it. Be nice to meet a few people and have some time out chasing ducks.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/10/16 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I am sure I will hosting another unnofficial coastal duck hunt again this year. Plan on making that. There will be airboats, regular boats, duck boats. There will be a thread on here. Just join in and buddy up with someone. Last year we didn't have a huge turn out, however we did have a great time.

I'll definitely try to make it and will try to watch for it.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/11/16 01:10 PM

Others that were there last year might post some pics also.

This is either a good day or a bad day, depending on how you look at it. Do you call it a bad day because you destroyed a belt? Do you call it a great day because Captain Kendricks called a buddy to come tow us in? I choose great day because I have been out there a lot longer.

Posted By: Nick1

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 12:47 AM

I dove/ deer hunt but never duck. Any room for a complete duck newbi in this group? I live in nw San Antonio. Always wanted to learn. Thanks.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick1
I dove/ deer hunt but never duck. Any room for a complete duck newbi in this group? I live in nw San Antonio. Always wanted to learn. Thanks.

Absolutely! There will probably be a thread about it as we get a lot closer. Just start in the conversation. Tell all all you are a newbie and partner with someone else coming down. We will base out of the condos in Port O'Conner like we did last year. There is plenty of spots within a short boat ride. Last year we didn't hunt any further than 4 miles. We shot plenty of birds. Well Hogman shot "At" plenty of birds anyway. He is the guy in the picture holding my birds.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 12:54 PM

You know what? No reason not to fire up the Unofficial Texas Hunting Forum Duck Hunting Get Together thread right now.
Posted By: garrett

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 02:57 PM

You know what? No reason not to fire up the Unofficial Texas Hunting Forum Duck Hunting Get Together thread right now.

so did you start a thread? I need to sign up to reserve a spot

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 03:09 PM

Yes I did. You're already signed up because of your miscreant ways. We have to balance out the good, the bad and the ugly. I am the good, you're the bad, so that leaves Hogman only one spot. Now go to the thread and "Talk it up".

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 03:13 PM

its in the news section, seems like an odd fit, you should have put it in the migratory section

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 03:23 PM

nidea

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 03:37 PM

I'm just trying to help here bang

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 05:11 PM

loser8 eeks333

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 09:31 PM

Yes I did. You're already signed up because of your miscreant ways. We have to balance out the good, the bad and the ugly. I am the good, you're the bad, so that leaves Hogman only one spot. Now go to the thread and "Talk it up".

Okay, I haven't even finished my first martini (although it is rather "stiff", the martini I mean) and I can't find the dam thing (the thread I mean). You gotta provide a link for us old guys.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/12/16 11:51 PM

Sorry there was a little hick up. Here you go.
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._Hu#Post6491916
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/13/16 01:19 AM

Your birds. I believe you were busy chasing Decoys across the bay

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/13/16 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
Your birds. I believe you were busy chasing Decoys across the bay

3 times

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/13/16 12:50 PM

if you'd get better weights you wouldn't have to chase decoys

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/13/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

Or maybe I could hunt with three guys that know how to set decoys.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/13/16 03:34 PM

I blame the choice of hunt location.

Re: San Antonio duck hunters - 10/13/16 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

I blame the choice of hunt location.

I blame Hogman. He was trying to tell yall to go get the decoys but he sounded like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum