Posted By: rickym

South east Texas/ Houston area - 09/30/16 05:51 PM

Anyone seeing many birds yet?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 09/30/16 06:19 PM

Nope.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 09/30/16 06:49 PM

Nope. Saw a lot up around Bellville opening day only.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/01/16 12:58 AM

Hunted waller this evening and didnt see a single bird
Posted By: Youngone2016

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/01/16 07:56 PM

This is my first year to ever try and hunt birds/ducks, I was just thinking the same thing about not seeing any birds. I drove out to Waller last weekend to scope out the public spot and I didn't see any birds out there. But I have been called in to work the last few times I was going to try and hunt so it hasn't been that big of a deal that I haven't seen any.
Posted By: Tx Geese

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/01/16 08:10 PM

Waterfowl or doves?

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/01/16 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Geese
Waterfowl or doves?

I would imagine doves.
Posted By: Deerslayer94

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/01/16 08:40 PM

Heard some geese while bowhunting this morning lol, guessing the cold front pushed some down.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/02/16 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Geese
Waterfowl or doves?

Either or, at the moment mainly doves. But that will change goin through the seasons. We should try to keep this thread goin with area updates through the end of the year
Posted By: 1100aggie

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/03/16 05:40 PM

Hunted the Waller public field the first 2 weekends and only shot 2 birds each time, which was probably better than most as I did not hear much shooting. I only see a few birds on the power lines around town...and I truly mean only a few. No flocks or anything flying in the morning or evening to amount to anything. Same way it was last year this time in the area. Birds started to show up the week after the season closed, so maybe given the longer season this year there is still a chance.

Anyone know the current state of the Waller public field? (shredded, disced, etc.)
Last time I was there they had the perimeter and a couple of rows shredded.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/03/16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 1100aggie

Hunted the Waller public field the first 2 weekends and only shot 2 birds each time, which was probably better than most as I did not hear much shooting. I only see a few birds on the power lines around town...and I truly mean only a few. No flocks or anything flying in the morning or evening to amount to anything. Same way it was last year this time in the area. Birds started to show up the week after the season closed, so maybe given the longer season this year there is still a chance.

Anyone know the current state of the Waller public field? (shredded, disced, etc.)
Last time I was there they had the perimeter and a couple of rows shredded.

I've been wanting to go back out there and give it a check, I am hoping I can get out there during lunch this week. I just heard from a guy who hunts that field and the one up in Chappell Hill, he said they don't get better until later in the season, which we are at that point in time.
Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/06/16 02:32 PM

We need them to change the south zone start. We had birds on labor day, but now they've migrated away. Not much action in Matagorda County. Yet.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/09/16 02:21 PM

Hunted near sealy last wednesday and only saw a handful of birds
Posted By: Matpk

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/09/16 06:26 PM

You saw the birds..Lucky.
I dont see them in my backyard bird feeder even..
crying

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/10/16 03:45 AM

Didnt see any in my dads backyard oak tree today or yesterday

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/10/16 02:18 PM

A buddy of mine hunted in Sealy Saturday evening with a group of 4 people, he was the only one to shoot a bird.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/10/16 03:47 PM

I see birds flying over the north loop everyday but I have no idea where they are going. Get outside the city and nothin.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/10/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I see birds flying over the north loop everyday but I have no idea where they are going. Get outside the city and nothin.

Yep I watch them fly over the house in good numbers every evening.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/11/16 12:26 PM

We need a good cold front! I'm convinced the birds are in north Texas. We should be seeing migration birds by now.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/11/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Didnt see any in my dads backyard oak tree today or yesterday

Apparently all the doves are still up North or ..??????
Are we going to have any doves in Houston area this season????
confused2 confused2 confused2
Posted By: Hilltop0111

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/15/16 10:23 PM

Got on here to see if I was the only one that wasn't seeing any birds. I have to hunt real close to house to get a couple birds. Not even with a recently disced field is attracting birds. Can you have a feeder on property just as long as you aren't taking any birds over the immediate area? Or is there an actual distance?

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/18/16 01:06 PM

The "rules" on a feeder is going to change from one warden to the next. Me personally, 300+ yards and out of sight

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/18/16 01:07 PM

I had a decent hunt last saturday near brookshire. Couldve had a limit if i was a better shot
Posted By: Levelland

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/19/16 01:28 PM

Same story west of town (between Rosenberg and East Bernard) last week- almost no birds. Anyone know if it's better down by El Campo- or are we just going to have to wait and hope for a good second season? Maybe the cold front Thursday night will move some in.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/21/16 10:15 PM

Are you more likely to see birds right before the cold front or even after? Was working the day the front blew in. But I don't even see any birds in town now and usually they are dime a dozen in town. I wish that meant they were staying out of town but I doubt it.. Also the Hawks are flying around looking for them so maybe they all flew the coop? Live in Victoria.
Posted By: 1100aggie

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/23/16 06:27 PM

Hunted the Waller public field yesterday. Saw 3 right at sunrise while walking in. Did not fire a single shot nor even see a single bird after that point all morning. If you are willing to walk, then in the afternoons you can flush a couple up from the ground. Did this the past couple weekends and at least bagged a couple.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/23/16 11:53 PM

Birds were flying in the brookshire pattison area, Just didnt fly over us. Saw a ton of birds though

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/25/16 07:33 AM

I see 5 or 6 birds in same spot already in field but maybe one every 30 minutes will fly over me. A few flying in line with houses but don't come in range to take a shot at them. See more white wing flying than mourning dove but staying to close to houses and not flying over field. About to start hunting opossum....

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/25/16 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: 1100aggie
Hunted the Waller public field yesterday. Saw 3 right at sunrise while walking in. Did not fire a single shot nor even see a single bird after that point all morning. If you are willing to walk, then in the afternoons you can flush a couple up from the ground. Did this the past couple weekends and at least bagged a couple.

I have been wanting to get out there to the Waller field, but I haven't had the time lately. But it doesn't seem like I have missed to much out there.
Posted By: snogeese

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/25/16 08:48 PM

The dove hatch in all of SE TX was a bust this year. Too much rain last spring and early summer. The good ares for whitewings were hit hard and most birds left. I was in El Campo on the north side by Bucees a week before opening day and it looked like Argentina, huge #,s of whitewings. A week later, same place and time of day and hardly any birds.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/26/16 01:52 PM

On my morning walk which I usually see a fare amount of dove has ended seeing a single dove. I saw more ducks flying over this morning, didn't hear or see a single dove.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 10/31/16 03:47 PM

Anyone get out for youth weekend (duck)? Sounded like it was slower than usual from what I heard (Eagle Lake/Garwood area). Wondering about the regular opener now. I've given up on the doves- at least until second season- but have enjoyed reading the posts here.

Re: South east Texas/ Houston area - 11/05/16 02:41 PM

Lots more doves this morning west of town- Rosenberg and Needville areas. Anybody else seeing better numbers? Hoping for a good final week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum