Texas Hunting Forum

Doves down south

Posted By: Erich

Doves down south - 09/20/16 06:01 PM

Any reports for the up coming south zone opener? I will be headed deep south around Hebbronville to do some deer season prep work. I plan on taking the scatter gun though. if birds are moving I will make time to shoot a few. If not, I've got plenty other things to do.

when I was down in july I surprisingly enough saw bird movement. pretty early for down there. when I was there in august I saw hardly any birds at all. so im not sure what this weekend will bring.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Doves down south - 09/22/16 12:55 AM

My buddy is in the south zone scouting and he said it's loaded
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Doves down south - 09/22/16 01:47 AM

A few, but not many birds flying in SE Duval County last weekend. I have to work the big opener but hopefully it will pick up for all who are there this weekend.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Doves down south - 09/22/16 01:41 PM

Here in Victoria and Calhoun Counties the birds have slowed in the past week but they are still strong. Two weeks ago they were almost Argentina like numbers, flocks of 50-200 left and right and most were white wings. Im watching the forecast closely right now and it doesn't look so hot for the weekend around here. Im just hoping that it'll hold off until Saturday or Sunday so that I can get a few good hunts in on Friday before the rain scatters the birds.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Doves down south - 09/26/16 02:39 PM

The birds flew a little for us. seemed to fly the best right before dusk. with the wind they were moving high and fast. I only got 3 for way too many shells. got some good work done for deer season though. driving down it seemed like I saw the birds moving better around benavides. so possibly they are not quite that far south yet. I think especially with the fronts and the rain hitting the san Antonio area and north of there today the birds will start to push south fast. I won't be back down until oct 21st. I'd bet they are moving good by then.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Doves down south - 09/26/16 03:07 PM

I had to work last weekend but just off the phone with some of the guys that hunted...the birds were thick! They tore them up, lots of limits.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum