Texas Hunting Forum

Red river

Posted By: JoeyV23

Red river - 09/19/16 03:16 AM

Anyone ever duck hunted the red river up by Gainesville or over toward st Joe. Just wondering if you do, how is it? And what do you look for when deciding to park the boat at a spot or when scouting. I don't expect anyone to reveal the secret spot but just looking for any insight and advice. I appreciate yalls help.

Thank you,
Joey
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 02:36 PM

Call the Love County game warden, he'll help you. Don't forget to tell him you're from Texas up
Posted By: BDB

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 04:16 PM

Where do plan on launching this boat from ?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 05:39 PM

I hunted mallards up there in the late 60s. We drove in through some fields near Telephone, Texas. And set up on a slough with a beaver dam. They came in n the sand bars several times. We moved there.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 06:36 PM

Get an Oklahoma hunting license.
Posted By: JoeyV23

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 10:07 PM

Thank y'all. Just never river hunted much and wondering what kind of areas people look for when scouting to have success. Would be launching near gainsville or in that area.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Get an Oklahoma hunting license.

Txduckman is saying this because the Oklahoma Gamewardens do not recognize your Texas hunting license. And they seem to love stopping folks with TX boat stickers on their side of the river. You should also know Oklahoma and Texas are in constant debate at where the state line begins and ends.

Re: Red river - 09/19/16 11:27 PM

We simply walked in. Here are a couple of pictures taken near our blind on the slough.

Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Red river - 09/20/16 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I hunted mallards up there in the late 60s. We drove in through some fields near Telephone, Texas. And set up on a slough with a beaver dam. They came in n the sand bars several times. We moved there.

You hunted up near riverby farms... I've seen mallards in the bar ditches and feed lots loaded to the gills.
Posted By: Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Red river - 09/20/16 12:10 AM

Lots of duck hunters but still some good spots ....sloughs off the river hold ducks. Make sure you have both licenses like stated above. The old River channel which is the boundary is Not the same that it used to be. Used to be really good when they still farmed peanuts in that area. Good luck
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Red river - 09/20/16 11:52 AM

Bill, no camo? How did you ever kill ducks?!

Re: Red river - 09/20/16 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
Bill, no camo? How did you ever kill ducks?!

I could tame a wild duck at that time with my call.
Posted By: Gary Willmann

Re: Red river - 09/20/16 01:53 PM

Entire river is considered to be Oklahoma, all the way to the Texas bank. If you are in the water, you are in OK.

Not sure where you think you'll be able to launch unless you have some sort of private access to the river and can dump a boat in. Pretty sure there aren't any ramps in that area.

Okies love TX trespassers, they may not even call the GW at all (if you catch my drift).

Lots and lots of windshield time. . .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum