Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf

Posted By: Pintail711

Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/18/16 09:30 PM

I'll be in Elmendorf for 8-10 days this week. I'd like to dove hunt while I'm down there. If anyone has any leads to day leases or would be willing to let me tag along, I'd appreciate it. I'll buy the beer and dinner.

Thanks,
Jordan
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/19/16 11:49 AM

Go to tpwd and get a annual hunting permit, more places to choose from there, heard doves
are down at 3 rivers area, south of SA area.

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/19/16 04:11 PM

I've got my annual public permit. I looked in the book last night. I didn't know if you could really whack em on the public places down there or not.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/20/16 05:52 PM

some of the south zone public places are very good. there's a field off hwy 85 in dilley that is outstanding. the south zone places on the public roster tend to be much better than the central ones. they are farther away and require more effort and planning to get to so fewer people go to them. there will be plenty people at the dilley place, but the birds are good.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/20/16 06:02 PM

I hunted #2378 Mimosa Farms last year while working in Carrizo Springs and had pretty good luck, we never limited out but I thought it was pretty good for public land. With it being as big as it was there never was anyone close by. But we did notice that the guys who had a good mojo dove set up had more birds come in to them. Of course the no hunting area was covered in dove and you could get a limit by throwing a rock.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/20/16 06:11 PM

those mojo decoys are amazing. should maybe almost be illegal. I've had excellent luck with them in areas where the grass/brush was low. the birds see them and come right in. I haven't had much luck with them in south texas I think mostly because our place is pretty brushy. its hard to get them in an area where the dove passing by can see them all that well.

its been a while since I've bought the public permits. always enjoyed them though. I have a friend who hunts the dilley place every year and shoots easy limits. so he tells me. also though at the end of the year you can get the harvest reports for the public places. the ones that require onsite registration also require you to report all game taken. the harvest reports for the dilley area public grounds are way high compared to everything else. so must be some truth to it.

when I was buying the public permits there were places in runge and Beeville that we always did really well on.

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/20/16 09:45 PM

2378 is the place near dilley? Is that what you're referring to Erich? Im going to go check out the places near on the E and W side of 35, the 2 just south of San Antonio and the 2 places around big foot. I figured the places that open up this weekend will loaded up. I've got plenty of mojos. we use them up here for dove and teal season... a buddy of mine has been shooting 5-6 man limits of teal down around corpus but he's got to head back to Longview saturday for a wedding. He also leased a place in the central to dove hunt and they haven't been killing many dove the past week. If i could drive my truck and pull my boat, id find 5 people to hunt with me and it'd be on for sure. I feel so out of my element not knowing anything about that area etc... I figured i would drive around and try to find a field that has a bunch of birds and try to barter steaks or beer to hunt. thats what i used to do when i lived in lubbock.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/21/16 12:20 AM

3 Rivers area should yield some doves for you, thinking about a trip later in Oct down there in that area......
Have AHP permit, would be game if someone had some tips...... not into private ranches, they want too much
for day lease unless its priced right.....

hunt safe........

Re: Dove Hunt Near Elmendorf - 09/21/16 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogflyer
3 Rivers area should yield some doves for you, thinking about a trip later in Oct down there in that area......
Have AHP permit, would be game if someone had some tips...... not into private ranches, they want too much
for day lease unless its priced right.....

hunt safe........

Yeah I'm out here right now at the public place just south of San Antonio and it's been shot to death... There's some people hammering that butt back towards the east of me... I talked to one of the hands out here and he said that there was so many people out here opening day that they couldn't even plow the field... That's about right. Out of my element down here with no contacts either.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum