Texas Hunting Forum

Teal?

Posted By: ntxaviator

Teal? - 09/12/16 05:54 PM

Went and scouted two coves early last week and found a group of approximately 25 blue wings in one spot and about 30 in the second spot. The difference between the two coves was concealment. I chose the cove that had the larger group of birds in it and more cover for the hunters. We got rained out Saturday morning so we went sunday. This was 4 days after I scouted and we saw nothing but wood ducks. Did the rain and the cooler weather push them out?
Posted By: Woodlands Water Turkey

Re: Teal? - 09/12/16 05:58 PM

Yes, that little front moved them south. They are very fickle.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Teal? - 09/12/16 06:39 PM

I almost never hunt teal in the same place during the early season. Very hit or miss. You just got a get out and see what happens
Posted By: GoBears870

Re: Teal? - 09/12/16 07:11 PM

I found a good amount in one cove on a public lake Friday afternoon. Didn't make it out Saturday because of lightning. Tried again Sunday morning even though I figured they had been pushed out, but managed to shoot a couple right at first light. Also had a group of 50 streak overhead later on. Great hunt? Not exactly, but better than I was expecting. You just never know until you get out there.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Teal? - 09/12/16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: GoBears870
I found a good amount in one cove on a public lake Friday afternoon. Didn't make it out Saturday because of lightning. Tried again Sunday morning even though I figured they had been pushed out, but managed to shoot a couple right at first light. Also had a group of 50 streak overhead later on. Great hunt? Not exactly, but better than I was expecting. You just never know until you get out there.

I didn't know I scouted and hunted with you! Same exact deal, except we killed the 3 that came in right at LST. I think my big group that buzzed over from behind me only had 49 tho... and I did expect at least one more group to decoy.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Teal? - 09/12/16 10:53 PM

Teal, here today and gone tomorrow. Its not an old saying for nothing.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Teal? - 09/13/16 01:06 AM

We hammered them in Garwood, 96 teal sat. Morning 80 sun., we had alot of Hunter shut most groups limited their was 1 or 2 groups that were slow.
Posted By: Fowl Language

Re: Teal? - 09/13/16 03:44 PM

PM hunt opening day on one of the big lakes. Surprised me when we saw 40 right off. Then it slowed. Ended with 3 when a small group dumped in. 9 month old lab made her 1st retrieve. So it was good day overall. Maybe we'll give another lake a try this weekend. Why, because we can! bounce
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum