Texas Hunting Forum

dove processing

Posted By: Cajun Raider

dove processing - 09/09/16 09:32 PM

Lots of different opinions about processing doves, skin breast then cut wing tendons and strip breast; us thumb to pop out breast then cut off wings and skin, etc. Any other ways and recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: dove processing - 09/09/16 09:52 PM

Use shears on wings, or twist them off, peel the breath feathers, thumb the breasts out...
Posted By: kweber

Re: dove processing - 09/09/16 10:14 PM

for fried doves w/mash taters and gravy, I pick the whole bird and split the back and gut 'em
we really like whole fried doves...
that's how they were cooked way back....
nothing wasted... gizzards and hearts included...
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: dove processing - 09/09/16 10:20 PM

Hold in your left hand, push your right thumb in under the breast plate, pull breast up from the body separating the two. Then break each wing bone at the 'shoulder' and pull off. Now, wrap index finger of right hand over the neck, stick right thumb back in the cavity below the breast and grab everything that is not breast in your right hand and pull free. Last, peels the skin off the breast and pick off miscellaneous feathers that are left (shouldn't be many). All together should take no more than 10 seconds to clean a bird. Hope this helps.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: dove processing - 09/09/16 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
Hold in your left hand, push your right thumb in under the breast plate, pull breast up from the body separating the two. Then break each wing bone at the 'shoulder' and pull off. Now, wrap index finger of right hand over the neck, stick right thumb back in the cavity below the breast and grab everything that is not breast in your right hand and pull free. Last, peels the skin off the breast and pick off miscellaneous feathers that are left (shouldn't be many). All together should take no more than 10 seconds to clean a bird. Hope this helps.
same way I do quail
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: dove processing - 09/09/16 11:18 PM

Go with someone that knows how and get them to show you.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: dove processing - 09/11/16 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
same way I do quail

If you don't save quail legs your missing out. I admit there small but they are good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum