Texas Hunting Forum

Bird #'s have really slowed down

Posted By: sallysue

Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/07/16 08:28 PM

here in Bell County
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/07/16 08:30 PM

I'm just going to blame everything on the rain.

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/07/16 08:34 PM

Plus there more hunters than I ever seen out there
Posted By: Espy

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/07/16 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue
here in Bell County

Hunted Northern Bell county a couple of times and the birds were scarce.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/08/16 01:30 AM

They musta all come down here. I'm in the Jourdanton/Pleasanton area and the birds just showed up THICK. We had decent numbers but all of a sudden I started noticing huge numbers today
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/08/16 01:58 AM

Its probably all the folks from CA moving to Austin hunting the WMAs in that area.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/08/16 03:03 AM

here in Bell County
they typically do after first weekend. Sometimes sparse even after the first.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/08/16 07:34 PM

Huge numbers of WW's down here in Calhoun Co. I can't wait to get a crack at them in a few weeks, that's if they are still around.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/08/16 08:50 PM

here in Bell County

Some of my guides hunted Granger on the opener, they all shot limits. The following day the birds were gone. I have seen a huge increase in doves the last couple of days in my fields here near Corpus. I think your birds just showed up....
Posted By: pervis

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/08/16 09:45 PM

We didn't shoot anything hardly in granger other than the bull. For 2 yrs down there now it's been slow. I go to visit and catch up with friends we see once a yr there. More about the good times than the birds. When I was younger the birds were great down there. Been hunting it since I was 13. I'm 36 now. Lots of good hunts in that area
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 02:03 AM

Shot a limit opening morning, had a few people over that evening, there were 40 birds shot that evening,then confused2, Have not been since. Had a guy come out Monday, he shot 7 times, he said he shot just to shoot at something. Where o where the birds be?????

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 02:07 AM

Oh and those 40 were 5 people hunting!!!
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: pervis
We didn't shoot anything hardly in granger other than the bull. For 2 yrs down there now it's been slow. I go to visit and catch up with friends we see once a yr there. More about the good times than the birds. When I was younger the birds were great down there. Been hunting it since I was 13. I'm 36 now. Lots of good hunts in that area

If you ever pass through Circleville on your way to Granger stop in and tell Joe hi. He's my uncle and the owner.
Posted By: LuckyVictim

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 08:47 PM

We hunted opening day and experienced lighter than usual number of birds in North East Texas.
Got to talking with family in Nebraska. They usually get a day or two at the start of the season before the birds start moving south. However, they're reporting back, weather has been extremely mild and the birds are still flying strong up north.

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LuckyVictim
We hunted opening day and experienced lighter than usual number of birds in North East Texas.
Got to talking with family in Nebraska. They usually get a day or two at the start of the season before the birds start moving south. However, they're reporting back, weather has been extremely mild and the birds are still flying strong up north.
Thats good to hear
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 09:23 PM

Well another big problem is people living in town are feeding birds more often now than ever and also doves have started adapting to eating dog and cat food . You hear right ! Where I live in town I know any morning you can go outside to the alley and the highline wires are just loaded with doves cause some neighbors feed early morning and the doves have seen the grackles taking dog food from bowls in peoples backyards so the doves have checked it out and started eating dog food ! Not anything anyone can do about it . Then up in the day they are roosting in town trees and evening back to their food sources . I know , I see everyday !!
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/09/16 09:29 PM

That's why they are called migratory..

Re: Bird #'s have really slowed down - 09/10/16 03:27 AM

STXHO, Joe Boy?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum