Texas Hunting Forum

Rather bird hunt than deer hunt?

Posted By: Slimpickin

Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 07:56 PM

Took my Church Pastor and friend Dove hunting on Stompy's place. Their shooting ability needs a bit of help, but both are ready to go back! Pastor has now determined Dove hunting is more fun than Deer hunting! This was his second Dove hunt and he' s hooked!
There's no guarantee when hunting doves, but I've had three great years at Stompy's place. My 2.5 day hunt, I harvested 38 birds. It's great to introduce new hunters and see their excitement for the sport! Sometimes the environment makes the difference! cowboy texas
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:06 PM

I enjoy bird hunting over hunting with a rifle by far. I enjoy watching the dogs work and the stalk and lack of a guarantee.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:09 PM

x2 on the bird hunting with dogs
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:17 PM

I gave up deer and pig hunting because when you shoot one the work starts Plus I luv watching my hunting gal Miss Dee
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:17 PM

let's seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sit in a stand for 16 days x 5 hrs per day ==80 hrs,,, and mabe pull the trigger one time.

or fire a box of shells, get your limit,,, hide it in the truck and do it again in 20 min. . I know which one I"d take.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:18 PM

I'd rather deer hunt any day than dove hunt. They are both fun but WT are just such a majestic and fun animal to try and out smart.
Posted By: Poke81

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:19 PM

Dove hunting is more fun that deer hunting!

1. You get to shoot a lot!
2. You do not have to be quiet
3. You can hang out with your buddies-Talk trash
4. Perfect for kids- Start them off as a bird dog and move them up

Deer Hunting
1. Tons of prep to take a single shot
2. You have to be quiet
3. Never tell your buddies where your hunting
4. Kids have a hard time being quiet and still
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 08:37 PM

Deer hunting is actually hunting. Dove "hunting" is just skeet shooting, but you can eat your target. For me, I shoot dove cuz they're delicious and a good warm-up for duck season. Thats about it
Posted By: BDB

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Deer hunting is actually hunting. Dove "hunting" is just skeet shooting, but you can eat your target. For me, I shoot dove cuz they're delicious and a good warm-up for duck season. Thats about it

I have found sense moving to tx in 89 that very few deer hunters "hunt" for deer. I'm not knocking it cause I do it to but lets call it what it is. I have a very average 8 pt I shot in 96 in N.E. Tx with my selfbow in a "tree stand" (sitting on limbs) in a natural funnel with no feeder anywhere to be found. Its my most special trophy. That deer died about 150 yards from the spot I cut the tree down to make the bow I took back and ended his life with. I have P/Y animals, caribou, elk etc. That 8 pointer is my trophy.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 09:13 PM

I love to shoot doves. Very social activity.

But i wouldn't give up chasing mule deer to go dove hunting
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 09:30 PM

My favorite is Elk but I enjoy all hunting, even hunting for big Bass.
Enjoyed having you again Pick.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 10:15 PM

Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy bc I don't have a stand and feeder on my place, we've seen some good deer out back but I just don't care enough to try em. I will however wake up at 1:30 to drive 2 hrs for 6 ducks
Posted By: Poke81

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I love to shoot doves. Very social activity.

But i wouldn't give up chasing mule deer to go dove hunting

Yeah talking trash while deer hunting doesn't go far!

Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/05/16 11:05 PM

I have always preferred bird hunting to deer hunting. I don't care to do all that prep work and spend all that time scouting to bag an animal that I don't care to eat. I prefer the action of bird hunting. There's nothing better than duck hunting but dove hunting runs a close second for me.
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 03:16 AM

You must be kidding. Dove hunting actually takes skill and that skill has to be kept up with via hours at the range. Shooting a deer is about as challenging as shooting a cow. Someone who has never fired a gun in their life can pick up a rifle, aim it at a deer, and kill a deer. Not so much with dove hunting.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kman2017

You must be kidding. Dove hunting actually takes skill and that skill has to be kept up with via hours at the range. Shooting a deer is about as challenging as shooting a cow. Someone who has never fired a gun in their life can pick up a rifle, aim it at a deer, and kill a deer. Not so much with dove hunting.

Your overselling it a bit.

Dove hunting isn't that hard if you know how to shoot a shotgun.

Once you get it down its like riding a bicycle
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: kman2017

Your overselling it a bit.

Dove hunting isn't that hard if you know how to shoot a shotgun.

Once you get it down its like riding a bicycle
haven't shot my shotgun since last dove season and shot 3/5 birds I got a shot at. It really is t that hard point and aim.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 03:31 AM

I never practice and usually one of the first with a limit. Beer is a major motivation.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 03:52 AM

My opinion is overall bird hunting in more fun, especially duck hunting.

However, there is nothing more satisfying than bagging that old mature buck after putting in countless hours for that one moment when you take that one shot.

Shooting deer isn't hard where I grew up and hunt in Brady. Shooting a 6.5+ old Buck is a different story.

I still find myself choosing duck huntimg over deer hunting the last few years.

Posted By: machine73

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 05:30 AM

I pretty much like any sort of hunting that has to do with dogs. I just like watching dogs work.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: BDB

I have found sense moving to tx in 89 that very few deer hunters "hunt" for deer. I'm not knocking it cause I do it to but lets call it what it is. I have a very average 8 pt I shot in 96 in N.E. Tx with my selfbow in a "tree stand" (sitting on limbs) in a natural funnel with no feeder anywhere to be found. Its my most special trophy. That deer died about 150 yards from the spot I cut the tree down to make the bow I took back and ended his life with. I have P/Y animals, caribou, elk etc. That 8 pointer is my trophy.

Agree 100%. I haven't hunted deer since I moved here in '14 from Minnesota. There's no challenge. You have to feed to have deer on your property, and I have no desire to stand over a pile of corn and kill a deer while it's eating supper. To each their own, but if I'm gonna deer hunt, it's gonna be fair chase. With that said, I might shoot a doe or two this year off a buds property, but just cuz it's cheap meat to fill my freezer.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 12:04 PM

Love to hunt all upland birds and be around my dogs.

Don't care for venison.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 12:35 PM

I'm just glad we live in a country where we can make these choices without fear of reprisal.

I used to hunt trophy free range deer...it's a ton of work, but the satisfaction after the harvest is phenomenal.

Now, I spend most of my time chasing thunderchickens, and a couple of dove hunts each year.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
let's seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sit in a stand for 16 days x 5 hrs per day ==80 hrs,,, and mabe pull the trigger one time.

or fire a box of shells, get your limit,,, hide it in the truck and do it again in 20 min. . I know which one I"d take.

Wow. Really? A real sportsman here.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: machine73
I pretty much like any sort of hunting that has to do with dogs. I just like watching dogs work.

I couldn't agree more.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 02:10 PM

I love being able to get my brothers, their families, my family and friends all out to my place. I'll mow strips around the place find a nice shady spot back the beer truck up under the shade turn on the radio put out some mojos watch the ladies talk about how "their guys are nothing but big kids" during dove season. Dad is working the grill and Mom is sitting in her chair next to him saying "look at your boys". Lol... This is my favorite time of year! grill
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218

I see the problem - you need a bigger truck.
I can hide 6 or 7 deer in mine before it gets 'full' !!! nuts
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 02:16 PM

bird hunting of any kind by far. I still deer hut periodically in the afternoons, more or less duck scouting with a rifle with me just in case. I just can't get fired up about todays deer hunting in texas.(mulies out west or out of state is a different animal) You might as well go shoot a brangus yearlin at a creep feeder, same level of difficulty, cheaper, more meat, and it tastes better.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/06/16 02:40 PM

I'm gad I'm not the only one who thinks venison is low on the desirability table.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/07/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I love being able to get my brothers, their families, my family and friends all out to my place. I'll mow strips around the place find a nice shady spot back the beer truck up under the shade turn on the radio put out some mojos watch the ladies talk about how "their guys are nothing but big kids" during dove season. Dad is working the grill and Mom is sitting in her chair next to him saying "look at your boys". Lol... This is my favorite time of year! grill

Sounds awesome.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/07/16 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

Sounds awesome.

It is really awesome because my parents have hit their 70's and still come out for the dove hunts.
Posted By: bermise

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 04:12 AM

Agree 100%. I haven't hunted deer since I moved here in '14 from Minnesota. There's no challenge. You have to feed to have deer on your property, and I have no desire to stand over a pile of corn and kill a deer while it's eating supper. To each their own, but if I'm gonna deer hunt, it's gonna be fair chase. With that said, I might shoot a doe or two this year off a buds property, but just cuz it's cheap meat to fill my freezer.

Yanks hunt a cornfield full of corn and then bash Texans for hunting feeders. What's the difference? The cornfield is not natural, it is man made & maintained just like a feeder pen.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy bc I don't have a stand and feeder on my place, we've seen some good deer out back but I just don't care enough to try em. I will however wake up at 1:30 to drive 2 hrs for 6 ducks

Hey ole buddy ole pal.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Hey ole buddy ole pal.

Season lease for $200/acre
Posted By: garrett

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Hey ole buddy ole pal.

Season lease for $200/acre

lodging?
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 01:28 PM

That's about the rate for collin county!
My stand and feeder only take up about 100 square feet. I'll do the math, checks on the way! roflmao
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Grandpa Lee
I enjoy bird hunting over hunting with a rifle by far. I enjoy watching the dogs work and the stalk and lack of a guarantee.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/08/16 08:08 PM

Each has it's own niches to differnt folks. I enjoy hunting, the chance of lots of shots at dove to the solitude and peace while deer hunting. It's being afield and the seasons changing and type game changing with weather changes is what gets me going.Wouldn't pick one over the other since bother mean something special to me for it's own reasons.
Posted By: Alan S.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/09/16 08:22 PM

Dove season use to always kick me into gear for the season and remind me that the heat of summer Would actually end at some point.
Few dove hunts, Some teal and then I'm out looking for something mo' bigger.
Lots of shooting, BS'ing, Way easier to get into for the money. Good Stuff !

Actually I would rather hunt both. . .
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/10/16 02:46 AM

I was in the army stationed at Fort Knox Kentucky and used to hunt deer exclusively. I would spend months scouting and hunting. With all tags I could and did kill 6 deer a year, some were does because there were doe tags only. I enjoyed blackstrap fried in Tony's and flour and also made tons of summer sausage. Hunting was easy because there was plenty of food, red oaks, white oaks, corn and soybeans. I hunted with a friend but basically that means we drove to the woods together.

I got into wild turkey hunting there which is still my passion. I usually hunt with a buddy and we work together to call in a tom. It's social, exiting because you call in the bird and pretty exciting when they are gobbling.

Duck hunting is my next favorite. I like the ability to call in or decoy the birds, it is very social, we get plenty of shots and I get to work the dog.

I do not deer hunt anymore primarily because it takes away from duck and the land is too expensive. If it was more convenient, I might reconsider but I will stick to ducks and turkey for now.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/10/16 03:10 PM

I love it all for very different reasons!

Dove, lots of action and fun to have a few beers and BS with family and friends. It kicks off the new season.

Duck, I get a big kick out of the strategy involved. Being out on the water at sunrise, watching them cup up over the dekes, and watching the dogs. I hunt duck the most cuz that is what I can do locally.

Deer hunting is like a vacation. It's the only thing where I routinely leave home for several days at at time. Me, my brother, and my son... all the boys without the mom or daughter filter. It's where I've always treated my son like an adult, where he first drove a truck and had a sip of beer (not at the same time). It's also different because to me all the "hunting" fun is in the prep work. Don't get me wrong, when a shooter walks out I get amped up, but pulling the trigger isn't the challenge. I also prefer venison to duck meat... process them myself and end up eating deer at least a few times a week all year round.

Spring turkey is one of my favorite things to do. Duck season has been over a while, kind of gettin' the itch to be in the woods. Working a gobbler in with the call is really rewarding. There's nothing like having one gobbling away as he gets closer... so loud you can feel it.

Quail... what is that? If they were still around in good numbers anywhere close to me I would spend a lot of time doing it. I have a very well trained Brittany, but she only gets on birds once or twice a year. I love watching her work, it's like a switch goes off in her head when she hits the field. It's what she lives for.

Hogs are good for something to do in the off season. Every lease I've been on has had a ton of them. I have two rules: (1) I'm not cleaning a nasty arsed hog if it's over 75 degrees outside and (2) anything big is just getting the backstraps taken out. They're a PITA to clean.

Predator hunting is something I admit I'm not good at. I've got calls and lights but it never seems to work out for me. Maybe I shouldn't drink as much beer, but it does happen at night while I'm at the lease so prolly not gonna happen.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? - 09/12/16 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By: bermise

Yanks hunt a cornfield full of corn and then bash Texans for hunting feeders. What's the difference? The cornfield is not natural, it is man made & maintained just like a feeder pen.

1. All I've ever hunted for deer is big woods, so your argument is invalid.
2. You've obviously never hunted Midwestern farmland. When every piece of property within 200 miles of every direction is planted crops, you aren't hunting cornfields. You're hunting their resting areas and traffic lanes
3. I never bashed anyone for hunting feeders. It's a necessary evil in this state. If you don't feed, you won't have deer. There's really no way to have deer on your property without it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum