Texas Hunting Forum

a tip on hitting doves

Posted By: dune2218

a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 05:45 PM

There seems to be a lot of discussion on what type of shot to use,,,heavy, light, 6's, 9's, etc. They all have different velocities and different characteristics--------- the key to hitting game is to pick one ------ any one----- and shoot that same one every year, year after year, one shell for dove and quail, one for ducks. . . Same argument about your chokes ----- I use full and Mod, for all game---- if the dove/quail/duck is 15 yds away I let him fly out to 25 yds before I shoot. simple --------- If you cant get a limit of doves with one box of shells, you are doing something wrong.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 05:58 PM

So full choke with #6's Is a good choice for shooting bobwhites over my dogs as long as I'm consistent with it?
Posted By: bentman

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 05:58 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner. ....Lt Mod on dove quail....Full on ducks geese also know your yardage I know I'm good to kill up to 40yds that's my limit anything over I seem to wing alot of birds
Posted By: Judd

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 06:40 PM

Killing birds is easy...you point and shoot where they are going to be not where they are. wink

Make sure you're full choke is rated for steel or is a steel shot full choke...if not your barrel could end up looking like this one:

bentman - I know you know this so I'm not directing at you, but there are some who might grab their lead chokes and end up in a mess that looks like this.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 07:53 PM

#calmdown Juddy!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
If you cant get a limit of doves with one box of shells, you are doing something wrong.

I read a few years ago the national average (not sure how that information was obtained) was 4 shells per bird.

I have hunted with very few people who routinely kill limits with a box of shells. I also recognize that some places hunt differently than others. I hunted with a buddy last year, 100% white wings all flying the same direction directly towards us. I killed my first 9 birds in 9 shells in about 10 minutes. Nothing like hunting the morning doves I have shot most of my life.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 08:27 PM

Let them land at your feet.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 08:34 PM

What about camo dont forget camo i get a limit every year you have to be quiet very quiet.

Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 08:36 PM

Opening morning on a good field with Mojos, pick your shots, you could limit with 15 shells.

If I pass shoot, it usually takes me a box and a half, give or take a few.

Gman
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 09:11 PM

There seems to be a lot of discussion on what type of shot to use,,,heavy, light, 6's, 9's, etc. They all have different velocities and different characteristics--------- the key to hitting game is to pick one ------ any one----- and shoot that same one every year, year after year, one shell for dove and quail, one for ducks. . . Same argument about your chokes ----- I use full and Mod, for all game---- if the dove/quail/duck is 15 yds away I let him fly out to 25 yds before I shoot. simple --------- If you cant get a limit of doves with one box of shells, you are doing something wrong.
Get off your high horse Mr Perfect.
Posted By: bentman

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Killing birds is easy...you point and shoot where they are going to be not where they are. wink

Make sure you're full choke is rated for steel or is a steel shot full choke...if not your barrel could end up looking like this one:

bentman - I know you know this so I'm not directing at you, but there are some who might grab their lead chokes and end up in a mess that looks like this.

good point on the chokes
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 09:27 PM

--------- If you cant get a limit of doves with one box of shells, you are doing something wrong.

bs
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 10:16 PM

On that same supposition I should only own and shoot one shotgun every year, year after year for all birds too. And for big game to be consistent a single rifle with a single chosen round every year, year after year for all game?

Naw, that would be boring. That is great advice for the beginner. But after hunting during 70% of my life, I prefer to rotate through several different shotguns, gauges, chokes, and loads and rifles for other game through the season or from season to season be it for the situation presented, nostalgia, to purposely limit myself, or just because I can. I can say without a doubt by using and learning the advantages and limitations of several different firearms and loads, it has greatly improved my overall hunting success and therefore experience.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 11:01 PM

While I am not disagreeing with you on your advice here OP, I can't say that it applies to everyone, maybe not even most. Ive always shot my doves with IC in the barrel because they tend to decoy quite close at the beginning of the season and after a few Dove hunts I tire of the meat and tend not to hunt them again until the short second season in December and I step up shot size and choke then as they usually stay further out and have more feathers on by then. IC/Modified in the O/U for my Quail and a custom Decoy extended Carlson choke for my ducks.
Posted By: P_102

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 11:35 PM

I agree 100% on the "1 shell" philosophy, especially 1 velocity, but can't go along with always using the same gun or chokes. For the opener I'm lucky to be able to hunt a small watering hole that is almost always covered up with birds....I shoot a 28 O/U choked skeet and improved...it would just be silly to constantly hold off on shots and have to walk further to get them for no reason.....not the same later in the season at other places. P_102
Posted By: Will

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/30/16 11:43 PM

I think the OP is taking this way too seriously. Dove hunting should be fun.

I have met very few people that can limit with a box of shells.
Posted By: Espy

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Will

Well you haven't seen me shoot my single shot 410. I'm deadly if the doves are within 75 yards. peep

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:38 AM

Yeah, Espy, but is it choked Cyl.? Lol

Will, I truly believe that more hunters could limit if they follow 2 simple suggestions: 1) Stop taking 'low %' shots, 2) Shoot only one bird at a time (unless they have a good dog). Low % shots mean more misses and shooting singles results in fewer lost birds. P_102

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:44 AM

P_102, I called Elm Fork and they are all dried up with all Sporting Clay courses open, we need to go rent a cart and soot some.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Will

I can, I just choose not to. peep
Posted By: kweber

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: P_102

Will, I truly believe that more hunters could limit if they follow 2 simple suggestions: 1) Stop taking 'low %' shots, 2) Shoot only one bird at a time (unless they have a good dog). Low % shots mean more misses and shooting singles results in fewer lost birds. P_102

very practical statement there...
but shells are cheap entertainment and I am as guilty as anyone on burning thru a couple of boxes or more for maybe a dozen birds...
that and the fact I'm fortunate to own my own place and have friends and relatives who do also, so lease or day money is not a factor...
and my wingshooting skills leave a lot to be desired

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:59 AM

Gonna bring that new 28 Buzz? There are certain posters on here that say they are simply 'pop guns' and not effective. LOL! P_102

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 01:02 AM

Understand that kweber, we don't always 'practice what we preach'. I've been known to take the occasional 'mad shot'. P_102
Posted By: Will

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 02:09 AM

I agree with you 100%. Both great points.

I am well capable of limiting with a box. I've had good shooting instruction and practice. However, I burn through more than a box on most hunts because I'm having fun, taking a few lower percentage shots, and smiling the whole time.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: kweber

very practical statement there...
but shells are cheap entertainment and I am as guilty as anyone on burning thru a couple of boxes or more for maybe a dozen birds...
that and the fact I'm fortunate to own my own place and have friends and relatives who do also, so lease or day money is not a factor...
and my wingshooting skills leave a lot to be desired

I'm in the same boat kweber. I'm much better with pistols and rifles than I am with shotguns, but I really enjoy wingshooting. At $5 and some change per box, I'm not going to stress and lose sleep over misses. I've practiced a little more this year than in the past, but it's more about being outdoors and having fun to me. I can guarantee you I'll have a load of fun Thursday morning regardless of how many birds I kill.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 02:41 AM

All good points but, IMO, the biggest problem a beginner faces pass shooting doves, is stopping their swing.... no follow thru, no dove.
Posted By: BDB

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 02:50 AM

Full chokes? The only time any of my shotguns sniff a full choke is when they get dressed up for turkey. Mod rarely see's me guns either. I/C wins the race...and most times its the only one in the race!

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 02:52 AM

Have a great opening day, gentlemen. Enjoy, shoot well and be safe.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 03:11 AM

My tip is put lots of lead in the air and hope a dove flies into it.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 04:23 AM

I tend to stay with similar velocities over a wide variety of shotguns, season starts with 410/28ga and usually ends with a 1oz 20ga load. I usually shoot fairly slow velocities and leads are all about the same.

When the birds are decoying well I can get it done with 2 boxes and a 28ga. Best streak last year was 8 for 8, hope I can duplicate it this year.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 12:39 PM

I truly believe that more hunters could limit if they follow 2 simple suggestions: 1) Stop taking 'low %' shots, 2) Shoot only one bird at a time (unless they have a good dog). Low % shots mean more misses and shooting singles results in fewer lost birds. P_102

I totally agree. I love waiting on the decoying shot into the Mojo's. That seems to only last the opening couple of days, then they wise up until new birds arrive.

Good luck and safe hunting. Aim small, miss small.

Gman
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 01:47 PM

It only takes me 15 shells to kill my 15 bird limit every hunt, unless I hit 2 or more in 1 shot, then it takes even less.

The problem I have is figuring out which 15 shells are the right ones before the hunt. I typically have to go through 25 - 35 shells before I find the right 15.

I do agree with the original poster that consistently shooting the same dove load does help tremendously. Going back and forth from a higher speed shell to a lower speed shell loaded with pellets, will make it necessary to adjust. If you've been at it a long time and can figure it out on the first couple of birds good for you. But there are for more people that shoot more than two boxes for a limit than there are that get their limit in a box. If you are a two box or more person, sticking to the same load will certainly help you.

I think the best tip, is when you think you have enough lead, lead them some more. Very few people are missing doves by shooting in front of them. Especially if pass shooting.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I truly believe that more hunters could limit if they follow 2 simple suggestions: 1) Stop taking 'low %' shots, 2) Shoot only one bird at a time (unless they have a good dog). Low % shots mean more misses and shooting singles results in fewer lost birds. P_102

I totally agree. I love waiting on the decoying shot into the Mojo's. That seems to only last the opening couple of days, then they wise up until new birds arrive.

Good luck and safe hunting. Aim small, miss small.

Gman

I find passing shots are easier then them dive bombing the decoys twisting and turning. I think they are more acrobatic than greenwings at times. Most of the time its just easier to see them when they are higher than coming in really low. At least for me where we hunt that seems to be the case.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 02:33 PM

I have to disagree with OP. Accuracy is what counts. There is not that much difference between #6 through #9 loads. Shotgunning isn't like developing an accurate load for a rifle. If you give George Digweed a 12 gauge with 9 loads or a 410 with 6 loads he will hit his target. Improper shot size or not knowing shot pattern is generally an excuse for poor aim. It is simple, more shot means smaller lighter pellets, less shot means larger heavier pellets but you still have a spread. Make sure your spread meets the target and you've got a hit. Tighter chokes are designed to improve shot pattern at a distance and more open chokes allow for a bigger shot pattern to improve the odds of a hit. I defy anyone to show me multiple targets shot by a shotgun with a shotshell in 6 through 9 load where all of the pellets hit in the same spot or created an exact pattern. This does not happen. Shot patterns are a small clouds of lead pellets spreading as they are acted upon by wind resistance and gravity. In other words, if anyone can show me a shotgun that consistently patterns a "dove sized" hole that caused a miss because they didn't compensate for it I will declare them a "shotgun sniper."
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 03:10 PM

Fact is you also have to look out for others when you shoot. You people who can do 15 with one box, or 15 with 15........You are just selfish!!!!!

I, too, COULD shoot like that, but it is bad for the economy!!!! I miss to help the workers!!!!!! The more I miss, the more shells I have to shoot and then The more shells that have to be made.

If you shoot and hit and hit and hit, well, I just don't know what to say....

I will keep shooting and missing to make 'Merica strong...
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 03:34 PM

I just shoot skeet occasionally throughout the year and at least once a week in the summer. I think most folks are just plain rusty come opening day. It's all about trigger time.

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I just shoot skeet occasionally throughout the year and at least once a week in the summer. I think most folks are just plain rusty come opening day. It's all about trigger time.

bingo
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 07:33 PM

I'm not a young buck. I don't have to shoot in the off season to kill doves Sep first. Like riding a bike.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 07:51 PM

If you cant get a limit of doves with one box of shells, you are doing something wrong.

Last trip afield I whacked 15 birds with 18 rounds. Of course, I spent hours and hours at the Skeet range to prepare for that trip.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
--------- If you cant get a limit of doves with one box of shells, you are doing something wrong.

bs
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
I'm not a young buck. I don't have to shoot in the off season to kill doves Sep first. Like riding a bike.

That's a little like what some of my buddies say opening day. Then they say that the sun was in their eyes, the gun is shooting off, there's something wrong with the ammo, ect. grin

BTW, I'm an old fart too.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

That's a little like what some of my buddies say opening day. Then they say that the sun was in their eyes, the gun is shooting off, there's something wrong with the ammo, ect. grin

BTW, I'm an old fart too.

LOL, I may have a few relatives like that. Miss a gimme then look down the barrel like it's bent or something, followed by some choice 4 letter words. roflmao

And I'm certainly not claiming to be the best shot around. I just know me. I've gone years where I shot a lot before the opener (especially when my son was just getting started) and others where I didn't do anything but change the turkey choke to IC or MOD. Very similar results with both.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 10:57 PM

I shoot year round. I'm always ready. Dubs will pile up around my feet. 😅
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: a tip on hitting doves - 08/31/16 10:58 PM

Apparently iPhone emojis won't work on here
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum