Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone tried Monarch dove loads?

Posted By: Jase

Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 02:47 PM

Academy has them on sale right now for $4.99/box. Are they worth it?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 02:54 PM

I am going to pick up a box today to see how they feed through my Beretta auto, I am hoping so, the light loads have toruble cycling through it.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 03:07 PM

I shot several boxes through my SXS 20ga last year at dove and this year at clays. I've been impress so far. They are a little dirty but don't let that stop you form shooting them. Ran a box through my SBE II and had no issues. The 20ga loads had good knock down on the birds. Haven't fired any 12ga at live targets yet.
Posted By: 1100aggie

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 03:28 PM

Shot 4 boxes of the Monarch 12ga #8 1oz loads through an old 1100 at clays and did not have a single failure.

I have not tried them on live targets but you would think traveling at 1350 FPS they would get the job done.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 03:36 PM

Shot this last dove season 12ga 8s and no problem in my OU. I like the speed. Also shot the 20 7.5s in my Benelli auto with no problem. I like the speed. Are they made by RIO out of Marshall TX and branded Monarch for Academy?
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 03:53 PM

They're light on shot, but heavy on the dram equivalent, so you shouldn't have any problems putting them through a Beretta. My 390 and SBE II both shoot them without issue.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 04:10 PM

I shoot whatever is on sale...
I'd hate to limit on just a box....
Posted By: msj7x57

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 04:58 PM

I have shot some at clays with no problems. Went to pick up some yesterday in Conroe, but they had Remington heavy dove on sale for 54.99 so I couldn't pass that up.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: NTX RAIDER
They're light on shot, but heavy on the dram equivalent, so you shouldn't have any problems putting them through a Beretta. My 390 and SBE II both shoot them without issue.

I actually just went to my local Academy and they were out of the Monarch's in 12, so I went with my usual Remington Hevi-Load, I have the Beretta 3901 and love the gun, I have only had it a year and need to do more experimenting with various ammo.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 06:08 PM

I tried them last year and really liked them. That's what I look for now whether dove hunting or skeet shooting. Seem to be good quality to me. Last year, the guys I was dove hunting with commented that I was hitting some long shots on dove with them. I have 8 boxes of 7 1/2 ready for this weekend. Hopefully the birds cooperate.
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 07:29 PM

Haven't tried them on live birds but I've burned several hundred rounds at the trap field. I've had no issues and would have no qualms about using them in the field.
Posted By: crice8

Re: Anyone tried Monarch dove loads? - 08/30/16 09:54 PM

I bought the Rio Game loads in 12ga 7.5 that academy had for $54.99 a box last week(= Everyone speaks highly of them and I have had issues with Remington heavy dove cycling my sportsman 58, so i'm giving them a shot. I may grab a box of the monarch to test out as well in the sportsman 58.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum