Texas Hunting Forum

Prevent Freezer Burn?

Posted By: Mykol

Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 01:41 AM

What is the best way to prevent dove from freezer burn?
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 01:48 AM

Water. Freeze them in water. Will hold 1 year or more
Posted By: 12shotgun

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 01:48 AM

Probably a vaccum sealer, but there's a tip in twpd website about storing them in a ziploc with enough water to cover them, then freeze the bag. I was a bit hesitant but after trying it I'd say I was very surprised by the results. I didn't have them there for a very long time, maybe a couple months, no more than 4, and just leaving the bag in the sink to thaw had them ready for prep. Really surprised.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 02:16 AM

I've been freezing all my game in water and Ziploc bags with all the air squeezed out for about 25 years. I've never had anything freezer burnt.

I have cooked rabbits and ducks that were 2 years old, although I try to eat everything before the next season. Sometimes a pack or two used to get buried in the chest freezer.

I've hunted with people that use the vacuum sealers and have taken home duck breasts that were vacuum sealed.

I have had multiple cases where the bags failed and birds would get freezer burn if not cooked quickly enough. If you're planning on eating everything within 6 months or so, it shouldn't be a problem and it will save space. But IMO, you cannot beat ziplocs and water for longterm protection.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 10:25 AM

Dove, ducks, and fish in a zip lock covered with water. Fill bag with water and squeeze out all air. I vacuum pack venison. No water touches my venison or beef.
Posted By:

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 10:33 AM

vacuum pack it, buy a foodsaver from wal mart
Posted By: ETHunter39

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 12:05 PM

Some guys like to marinate their dove in Italian dressing before cooking. As an alternative to water, I freeze several portions in Italian dressing, that way they're already marinated when I thaw them out. food
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: deftsound
vacuum pack it, buy a foodsaver from wal mart

I have a couple of these- not worth a crap- about 10 years old. Are the new ones any better?
Posted By: Bird_Dog

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 01:24 PM

I've been freezing meat in ice water for as long as I can remember, never had an issue
Posted By: RayB

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
I vacuum pack venison. No water touches my venison.

I quarter my deer and cover it with ice and water for 3 to 5 days, my relatives who say they don't eat deer meat never know the different till I tell them
Never have enough doves to save
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Prevent Freezer Burn? - 08/29/16 02:43 PM

I like to have everything seasoned and vacuum packed prior to freezing. It saves time for when it comes time to cook. This is one of those tomato tomatoe debate.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum