Texas Hunting Forum

Teal

Posted By: Charlie817

Teal - 08/25/16 02:34 AM

Finally seen some teal in the area! Group of four.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 02:39 AM

Yup typically last week or so August
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 03:53 AM

Had some show up at our club this week also.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 10:51 AM

That's awesome Flock Knocker!
Posted By: nacgoat08

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 04:47 PM

Must have been the same four I saw yesterday!

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 05:02 PM

next full moon around the 9th I believe
Posted By: garrett

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 05:09 PM

next full moon around the 16th I believe
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

Garrett, you get some new waders yet, or you going with trash bag and duct tape for 1 more year?

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender

Garrett, you get some new waders yet, or you going with trash bag and duct tape for 1 more year?

I have spent the off season working on the trash bag and tape method, I dont have river crest money over here.

the key I have found is the tape, has to be good tape, the silver HVAC duct tapes works good
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 06:00 PM

Next full moon is the 16th

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender

I have spent the off season working on the trash bag and tape method, I dont have river crest money over here.

the key I have found is the tape, has to be good tape, the silver HVAC duct tapes works good

Glad to hear you've been doing R&D

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 06:34 PM

its what I do, I'm a thinker

speaking of, you ready for another season full of scientific research?
Posted By: Gladesgator

Re: Teal - 08/25/16 06:40 PM

Saw several flocks of 20-30 birds yesterday while fishing the north end of Florida bay.

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 12:44 PM

Scouting looks like more of an average BWT opener. Still week away- didn't see big buildup yet like last year. Saw only group of 8 birds yesterday flying. Nada on water, but wasn't out there @ first light
Posted By: john paul

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 12:53 PM

Rumor has it most of the rice fields in SETX are loaded up. We typically don't get any birds in the marsh until people run them out of the rice.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 01:55 PM

Seen a few flocks down here in Victoria/Calhoun counties. Getting water pumped into our back ponds as we speak so hopefully theyll be back there come time for the opener.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 02:18 PM

saw more than a normal amount in early and mid august, but numbers as of today aren't quite what they should be in this area anyway. but we do have five days until opener and one day can make a world of difference with bwt.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 03:00 PM

We saw flocks with hundreds in them around Katy on opening of day of dove. Didn't see but 4 doves but massive flocks of teal were in the area.

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 03:11 PM

its what I do, I'm a thinker

speaking of, you ready for another season full of scientific research?

The lab coat has been dry cleaned.

Re: Teal - 09/06/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
We saw flocks with hundreds in them around Katy on opening of day of dove. Didn't see but 4 doves but massive flocks of teal were in the area.

south tx doesn't count eek you guys always have teal this time of the year.

I believe in NTEX 2nd week appears to be better.........all about the moon
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Teal - 09/07/16 01:28 AM

We saw a few hundred jump off the lake driving out to the dove field two days ago. It was around 5pm. I'm hoping by Saturday there will be more. I'm going to scout Thursday because I can't Friday.

Opening day the last two years has been the best of the three weekends.

Re: Teal - 09/07/16 02:17 AM

One of a couple groups

Posted By: Teamjefe

Re: Teal - 09/07/16 06:36 PM

Had zero teal until yesterday as I was roller chopping to open up water. About an hour into it I had about 50 birds land in the open water behind the tractor!! First birds of the season! Need a few more to show up before Saturday. The past few years the second weekend has been the knockout weekend
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Teal - 09/07/16 08:42 PM

I have seen Teal, Spoonies, Blue Bill and, Red Heads in CenTex already. Saw at least 35-40 on one Lake Sunday afternoon.

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 01:03 AM

NTEX not so much- hearing more birds today- they will get here- if u have right water and food-
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 03:19 AM

Matagorda is loaded up
Posted By: Brasso

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 10:19 AM

We haven't seen any
Posted By: Brasso

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 10:20 AM

Looked all over east.. Haven't seen much of anything.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

south tx doesn't count eek you guys always have teal this time of the year.

I believe in NTEX 2nd week appears to be better.........all about the moon

If teal are in south Texas which appears they are, they went through NTX to get there, they just didn't stay in NTX, which is normal. They are just harder to find in NTX vs south/central TX.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Matagorda is loaded up

Look who is so in tune with the birds he even migrates in and out of the board...impressive sir wink
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 02:43 PM

Any decent central TX teal sightings? In past years I've usually seen a few coming into tanks during opening week of dove season, haven't seen much so far.

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 04:33 PM

My scouting trip this morning revealed that we should shoot some birds but I don't think it'll be anything crazy like last year's opener.

Hoping the full moon next week and these light fronts will push some in next week.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 05:33 PM

I was north of college station last weekend and saw maybe 8 flocks of 10 or twenty going down highway 7. Not huge flocks like we saw in Katy and that was the most I've ever seen.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 06:00 PM

we've never had a bad opener in Colorado Co...
sux I cant make it this yr...
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Matagorda is loaded up

Look who is so in tune with the birds he even migrates in and out of the board...impressive sir wink

Well word on the flyway was Guy was getting sassy so I buzzed his rig
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad Max
Any decent central TX teal sightings? In past years I've usually seen a few coming into tanks during opening week of dove season, haven't seen much so far.

Been looking everyday for two weeks in Belton/Temple/Rogers area and haven't seen A teal yet. We're hoping this little front and the full moon on the 16th will push some birds our way. I don't think much will change between now and Saturday so I think I'll fish opening day until I start seeing them.
Posted By: Canvasback

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 07:59 PM

Saw a couple strong groups while dove hunting (Milam county) last weekend. Heading out this evening hoping to see more. We have a weak front bring storms Saturday but I'll be out.

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 10:00 PM

NTEX saw first sighting today a few on water- group of 8 Canadas as well, 20+ barreling in wetland @ 7;45 when my scout was leaving.......build up has started!!!

Re: Teal - 09/08/16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
My scouting trip this morning revealed that we should shoot some birds but I don't think it'll be anything crazy like last year's opener.

Hoping the full moon next week and these light fronts will push some in next week.

what I said earlier in thread and agree- 2nd week will be better
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum