Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting over deer feeders

Posted By: fishon1017

Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 12:08 AM

Someone told me that you can hunt dove by a deer feeder as long as its turned off and no corn is on the ground. Even if the feeder is still full. Sounds fishy to me. Can someone confirm. Thanks
Posted By: Guy

Re: Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 12:24 AM

If the corn is in feeder and not on the ground, and the birds cannot get to the corn, it cant be baiting JMO. That is like getting a ticket for hunting near your house with corn in your house.

That being said, there is the 10 day rule, so corn needs to be off the ground (where dove can get to it) for 10 days.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 12:31 AM

You can't hunt over a baited area until 10 days after all bait has been removed. Now proving on what exact day all the bait had been removed would be difficult to prove. This is why it is best not to hunt near a feeder to avoid potential problems.
Now you may be saying to yourself, I haven't had this feeder on since last deer season and there hasn't been any corn on the ground for months. The important question is, can you prove that? Now you may be saying, can the game warden prove that there was corn here less than 10 days ago? Congratulations, this is the problem that I was referring to. There are a lot of variables to consider and as the old saying goes "you may beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride." I personally would rather avoid this situation.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 12:33 AM

You better play it safe and lock the gate behind you
Posted By: fishon1017

Re: Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 01:01 AM

FWBanger: I love that. "You can beat the wrap but you cant beat the ride." Soooo True.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: FWBanger
You can't hunt over a baited area until 10 days after all bait has been removed. Now proving on what exact day all the bait had been removed would be difficult to prove. This is why it is best not to hunt near a feeder to avoid potential problems.
Now you may be saying to yourself, I haven't had this feeder on since last deer season and there hasn't been any corn on the ground for months. The important question is, can you prove that? Now you may be saying, can the game warden prove that there was corn here less than 10 days ago? Congratulations, this is the problem that I was referring to. There are a lot of variables to consider and as the old saying goes "you may beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride." I personally would rather avoid this situation.

It is sad that we give up our gun rights because we are fearfull of being found guilty until proven innocent because/and some GW has not done his homework. From what I have seen/heard, baiting busts happen from fed GWs, and they do their homework, they been onto you. State GWs, they are looking for obvious baiting violation, but saidly you have other state GWs that I guess are Fed GW wanabees.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Hunting over deer feeders - 08/18/16 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
If the corn is in feeder and not on the ground, and the birds cannot get to the corn, it cant be baiting JMO. That is like getting a ticket for hunting near your house with corn in your house.

That being said, there is the 10 day rule, so corn needs to be off the ground (where dove can get to it) for 10 days.

My feeders are dry for that reason- if corn is in feeder- I know of situation ticket was written.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum