Texas Hunting Forum

Shooting near power lines

Posted By: hovercat

Shooting near power lines - 08/14/16 05:42 PM

Does anyone know just how much damage a load of 7.5's actually does to a power line? I always wondered.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/14/16 06:42 PM

It can't be good
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/14/16 07:12 PM

Posted By: David Maas

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/14/16 07:42 PM

My wood duck hole is under a high power transmission line, has been for yrs, no issues because you rarely shoot that direction
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/14/16 08:27 PM

Skillet shot..... clap
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/14/16 10:47 PM

It will cost you a pretty penny if you do shoot one.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/15/16 12:21 AM

Lead or steel shot? Either one could break a HV insulator. Steel could damage trans line which is usually alum outer strands with a few steel inner core. Arrestor are porcelain. Be safe and don't do it.
Posted By: hovercat

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/15/16 01:11 AM

I don't, but you know it happens every dove season. I have seen dove shot off lines.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/15/16 02:02 AM

From far away it won't hurt it. From 10 feet away it may be in two pieces afterwards. Just walk towards any bird that is on a line and it will take off and you can shoot it safely.
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/15/16 03:28 AM

I've seen several shot off lines over the years. Never thought it was a good idea.
Posted By: Poke81

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/15/16 07:23 PM

You might do some damage if you point blank one. As far as distance hitting I wouldn't worry about it. Power lines are ACSR which is a few aluminum strands and a steel strand. Steel shot may put some damage on it but lead 7.5 most likely won't. It's possible that the insulators would hold up to a shot as close as 50' but I wouldn't want to Guinea pig that one. The newer polymer insulators would probably take a shot like a champ.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/17/16 02:55 AM

I've never heard any complaints.
Posted By: crice8

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/18/16 06:43 PM

Wow I have never thought about this. I'm guilty of shooting many off of lines over the years. I have never had anything bad happen. I will have to think more about this next time. But I would not think that the lead shot most of us dove hunt with would cause any damage.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/22/16 07:27 AM

I asked why there was a metal thing on the powerline where I was hunting. Buddies dad shot the dang thing in half a few years earlier. Cut the power to the ranchers house for a day before they could splice it back. It can happen. I know some hunters shot one down near Abilene a few years ago. Think it started a fire and made the news.

I always make them fly off of it before shooting personally though a 15 bird limit skillet sure has been tempting! grin I had a hunt where every bird would stage on the powerline before dropping to a tiny puddle from a broken water pipe but I let everyone wait its turn. They can be dumb when never shot at.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Shooting near power lines - 08/22/16 12:39 PM

I know first hand it's not a good idea. I paid $300 to have one spliced together at the field I hunt in.
The outside of line became all unravelled, but wire held. Told LO it was probably me that caused it, as the dove seemed to like to fly right down that line, it was only like 20' off the ground.

Couple days later he said $300 will cover it, had it for him the next day. Told me not to shoot so close to or at the lines. I said yes sir and I'm sorry. Did not skillet shoot off the lines, but being that I was shooting into lines over the 15 years I hunted there the damage accumulated.

I do skillet shot out of a tree though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum