Texas Hunting Forum

Do robber duck decoys keep ducks away?

Posted By: chaseh2003

Do robber duck decoys keep ducks away? - 08/10/16 01:58 PM

I plan to get some new decoys this season. Was thinking of getting some widgeon because there are a fare amount where I hunt and with the color they would show up on the water pretty good. I'm wondering though if anyone has had experience with dekes flaring ducks that dont want to deal with widgeons' thieving ways.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Do robber duck decoys keep ducks away? - 08/10/16 03:54 PM

get the biggest decoys you can buy ----- breed is not relevant ------- ducks can see big decoys from far away and will come check it out,,,, ducks mostly see silhouettes,,, by the time they can identify the type of decoy you have already shot them.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Do robber duck decoys keep ducks away? - 08/10/16 05:03 PM

uh...no. if you see wigeons while scouting it won't be a problem. like said already, silo's and the color white is the main deal to me. Whether it be in the form of pintails or diver decoys
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Do robber duck decoys keep ducks away? - 08/10/16 10:23 PM

Op I think like a duck, ducks think like me, and we both feel your pain.

And the sad truth of the matter is yes some ducks will flare when they see robbers on the water.

For example when I see my old friend garrett at the restaurant or bar, I lite the f out! Seriously, C-YA!!!

It's just the way thangs are. I suggest some good old fashioned grey duck dekes.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Do robber duck decoys keep ducks away? - 08/11/16 05:32 PM

I have never seen ducks flare because of widgeon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum