Texas Hunting Forum

Dakota Decoys

Posted By: outfitter1

Dakota Decoys - 08/09/16 09:44 PM

Wondering what you think about them.
Posted By: dockhigh

Re: Dakota Decoys - 08/09/16 09:46 PM

The ones that need the heads installed look great but are not worth the trouble. I had to resort to gluing them on to keep them in place. And the flocking came off pretty much from the beginning.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Dakota Decoys - 08/10/16 03:31 AM

look good in the macks book, that's about all I can say. I have stuck with GHG primarily for the different head positions....love all the feeder types. flocking looks good on dakotas, but we hunt with way too many most of the time to handle decoys with that much care, or put in a 12 slot bag. its more like throw the t rigged decoys in an aluminum boat we drag around behind a four wheeler.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Dakota Decoys - 08/10/16 03:32 AM

if I was only going to hunt over 10-20 decoys and wanted to be very realistic, it would be a strong consideration
Posted By: VegasMallard

Re: Dakota Decoys - 08/10/16 11:31 AM

I love Dakotas. I haul my gear on my yak, so I only put out 2 dozen dekes and wanted top of the line gear. I keep them in a slotted bag and they still look great, and haven't had any problems with heads falling off. If you throw them in a mesh bag and handle them rough, they will probably lose their flocking.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Dakota Decoys - 08/16/16 09:17 PM

Dakotas have their place. As Woodduckhunter mentioned above, I think they are ideal for the guy that only hunts over 1-2 dozen decoys and shoots mostly mallards. They look fantastic on the water and they hold up great, but they are heavier than most other decoys on the market. I would keep them in a slotted bag to protect my investment and hope that most of the places I hunted would be boat-in and not walk in.
Posted By: outfitter1

Re: Dakota Decoys - 08/17/16 04:27 PM

Thanks Guys. I picked up Blue and green wing teal and the gadwall, they look good.Looked at the Mallards but decided to stick with my Pro Grades.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum