Texas Hunting Forum

Decoy Help

Posted By: raw10628

Decoy Help - 07/28/16 08:13 PM

I just got on a lease for the first time this season and need to purchase some decoys. I'll be hunting down around El Campo and Danevang area.

How many and what species of decoys should I be buying? I was thinking about 5 dozen of the below. Does this sound about right or should I get more/less of one of the species?

2 dozen mallard
1 dozen pintail
1 dozen gadwall
1 dozen bluewing
Posted By: 68A

Re: Decoy Help - 07/28/16 08:17 PM

How big is the tank?
Posted By: raw10628

Re: Decoy Help - 07/28/16 08:21 PM

Some are ponds and some of it is flooded rice fields.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Decoy Help - 07/28/16 08:26 PM

I would throw some redheads in the mix if you have some open water
Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Re: Decoy Help - 07/28/16 08:29 PM

Prob won't need those mallards.

Pintail
Gadwall
Wigeon
GWT (blue wings are gone by the time they plume out and they'll land in any other species during early teal)
Coot if you want some confidence decoys (I like em/might be worthless)
Posted By: Srj79

Re: Decoy Help - 07/29/16 01:41 PM

Scout and be where the ducks want to be, won't need many decoys. We hunt a 3 acre slough with a dozen and half. From my experience gadwall and many other birds will land in mallard decoys.
Posted By: oilag

Re: Decoy Help - 07/29/16 02:06 PM

Id get more teal - they are usually pretty cheap and easy to handle and work great on the prairie
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Decoy Help - 07/29/16 02:57 PM

do away with the mallards and get more pintails, do away with the gadwalls and get more pintails or even some spoonbills. spoons have a lot of white and show up better than gadwalls. and the majority of areas along the coast that have ducks will have some spoonbills. gadwalls are good to add for realism later on, but IMO they look too much like a hen of any other specie.
Posted By: Blue drake

Re: Decoy Help - 07/29/16 03:58 PM

Scout which ducks want to be there. If you only have groups of 10 fly over a couple dozen is a good number. But if you have wads of ducks coming in 5 or 6 dozen are good too. Always depends on the day and year. Could change from hunt to hunt.
Also don't be afraid to add or subtract or move your decoys during the hunt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum