Texas Hunting Forum

Building a flooded food plot

Posted By: Blue drake

Building a flooded food plot - 07/26/16 09:26 PM

Ok guys. I am thinking about building a flooded food plot below my pond this spring or summer. I want to know if its a good idea or not.
Currently my 3.5 acre lake holds a decent amount of ducks. The problem is it varies year to year because the water level varies. This pond has about 1 acre of shallow (2-4) feet. Which is perfect for ducks. By the end of a dry spring and summer there is not much shallow left and far away from the blind.

Would it be a good idea to build a flooded food plot area just below the damn Would majority of the ducks go to the big water or fly into the flooded area with Millet planted?
I would pull water from a stock tank which has no fish and no cattle and the rest from the big lake depending on the year.

Thanks in Advance
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Building a flooded food plot - 07/27/16 03:36 AM

how big of an area are you thinking of levying off? make sure that you have the amount of water in your holding pond figured pretty close. amounts of water do not go nearly as far as people think when you start flooding an area. and as far as where are they going to go....they are going to wherever they need to in order to eat. adding millet will also add to your current variety of ducks. describing what you are, would broadcasting jap millet on the mud flats as the pond dries each summer work?
Posted By: Blue drake

Re: Building a flooded food plot - 07/27/16 11:55 AM

I am thinking about flooding a acre or so. I should have enough water every year to flood that area. The stock pond is only a few hundred yards away and I will have to run about 100' of pipe to get over a slight rise.
I did attempt to broadcast jap millet in the mood flats but it was to wet to work. Some standing in water. The areas now that I could have worked are a good 15 yards from the water edge. So I just hand through out on the mud flats area. Better than letting it waste. I did this July 4th weekend. Maybe should have waited a couple weeks and could have used the tractor and disced it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum