Texas Hunting Forum

How close is too close

Posted By: Winchester1894

How close is too close - 07/18/16 01:34 AM

On the property I'll be hunting this season I am wanting to hunt over a stock tank but there is a deer feeder about 50 yards away. Do y'all think this is too close? I was looking at the laws on this and it wasn't too helpful. This may be an obvious answer here but want to be sure. Thanks
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 01:51 AM

If there is corn in, or near, the feeder, I would not do it. Most likely, it would not effect doves near the stock tank, however, the issue is bait.
Posted By: Astater

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 03:22 AM

Too close. It's a judgement call by the warden from what I understand. If he or she decides the corn is affecting the birds then you're in a pickle. I wouldn't take that chance.
Posted By: bentman

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 03:49 AM

I would, your 50yds from a feeder and you are not set up on the feeder. I have a lot of hunters on my place and the game warden checks them every yr. There is a right of way with a feeder about 20yds back in the trees, guys line up the right of way and shoot plenty of birds game warden has never said a word. They are not set up on the feeder. Turn your feeder off a couple of weeks before dove season if you are really worried about getting a ticket.
Posted By: bentman

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 03:52 AM

I would, your 50yds from a feeder and you are not set up on the feeder. I have a lot of hunters on my place and the game warden checks them every yr. There is a right of way with a feeder about 20yds back in the trees, guys line up the right of way and shoot plenty of birds game warden has never said a word. They are not set up on the feeder. Turn your feeder off a couple of weeks before dove season if you are really worried about getting a ticket.
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 05:19 AM

Just turn the feeder off and be done with it.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 03:35 PM

never know. It would make sense for them to set a distance whatever it may be...but then there would be no gray area and they like it like that. The law reads you can't hunt migratory birds that are being influenced by bait. So pass shooting birds in the flight path going to a baited area a mile away is illegal(however in the hell you prove that idk), but hunting birds 100yds from bait that aren't influenced is legal. Once again, not sure how you prove either one. Most all baiting cases that aren't just completely obvious whats going on get thrown out if you contest it. When they "say" your're hunting a baited area and you also have a plug out, lead shot, too many, etc. you get gotted. these bizarre sounding tickets you hear of people getting more often than not get thrown out if you contest it. but most people would just rather pay it and not have to deal with it since it normally isn't that much anyway
Posted By: Wacm

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 04:43 PM

We turn ours off when we are in doubt. Unplug the battery and stuff the funnel with a rag. Then go dive hunting
Posted By: elephantman

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 04:45 PM

Yeah feels like to much room for interpretation, I'm surprised there's not an exact distance
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 06:04 PM

50 yards will be too close ,especially if a fed shows up.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 07:10 PM

As others have said, it's a judgement call for the GW. We had the same issue last year at the place I leased. The owner talked to the GW in that county and was told as much. He turned the feeder off about three weeks before the season started and scraped up as much corn off of the ground as he could. The GW said if you shoot a bird flying toward an active feeder on your property, it can be presumed the bird was flying to that feeder. Again, each GW has their own interpretation and some are more hard nosed than others. Better to be safe than sorry.
Posted By: 68A

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 07:16 PM

If it's your feeder or you know who's it is then turn it off and cap the funnel with a rag, like was already said. If not, I wouldn't hunt it.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 07:36 PM

It all depends on the game warden I had one tell me no hunt on the property if it had a feeder
Posted By: Gacman

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 07:44 PM

I don't think that's a big problem very often as long as you're not set up on the feeder. Or the day before you hunt, plug the funnel, remove the battery, and the deer should have cleaned up the ground by the time you hunt.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: How close is too close - 07/18/16 08:31 PM

what else always bothered me about how this works is that a neighbor could put some out to keep you from hunting your own place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum