Texas Hunting Forum

FYI BRA Duck Hunts

Posted By: dgilbert

FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/09/16 01:24 PM

http://www.brazos.org/About-Us/News/Current-News/ArticleID/524
Posted By: FowlTrouble

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/09/16 10:04 PM

First Ive seen of this type waterfowl hunting in Texas.
How long has it been going on?
So if your chosen and pay your fee do you get the spot all season long?
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/09/16 10:36 PM

Lake level has shut this down for a few years. We did PK a few years back. Everyone in the draw got a spot. Spot was ours year round. Didn't do it again because we were the new guys and somehow the 4 new guys were all "drawn" last. If I did it again I would look close to or actually on the river. There's some sweet hunting up stream. Get as far up as possible, Sandies like you wouldn't believe too.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/11/16 12:29 PM

No birds out west...move along, nothing to see out here.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/11/16 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: FowlTrouble
First Ive seen of this type waterfowl hunting in Texas.
How long has it been going on?
So if your chosen and pay your fee do you get the spot all season long?

Been going on for years. Links have always been in the public hunting sticky. Just have to click through with some of the links to find stuff like this one. Like the S-ville blind draw where it sounds like there is a buddy system from those that went, I often wondered if the BRA draws had that problem. Hope not. I do know there are always unclaimed spots with the BRA so it may not be that great a deal for some.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/12/16 12:02 PM

No buddy system @ P.K., been hunting there for years, throw your license in the hat and get the luck of the draw. Back when there was peanut farming going on we had outstanding mallard hunting, now it's pretty much hit or miss.

There are some folks that try to stack the deck in their favor by bringing wives, friends, etc., but that's the exception not the norm.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/18/16 11:35 AM

Peanut farming up Proctor, good memories!
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/18/16 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlie817
Peanut farming up Proctor, good memories!

Best kept secret in centex from '96 thru '01 until 1) govt cut the peanut subsidies and 2) Phil Robertson opened his big mouth. Used to stack green like cordwood. Always got my 5. Couple of Rolexes from there during that time as well.

Posted By: Guy

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/18/16 10:32 PM

These were the good years...weren't mallards everywhere back then? Heck I remember Lavon stacked with green.

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/18/16 10:57 PM

Skipped many a morning class at Tarleton back then to hit up Proctor 'in the good ol' days'. Great memories.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/19/16 01:19 AM

The skies over Ray Roberts were blackened with mallards when it was surrounded by peanut fields. Now during season it's just surrounded by nuts.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/19/16 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
These were the good years...weren't mallards everywhere back then? Heck I remember Lavon stacked with green.

WTH happened to the peanut farms?
Posted By: Guy

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/19/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Originally Posted By: Guy

WTH happened to the peanut farms?

They dried up with the funding.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/19/16 01:58 AM

I was just a kid then, but can remember just how many ducks were around when we were quail hunting in some areas with peanuts. duck shoots in the am, quail hunt rest of day. and pretty much what guy said, the government quit paying them or giving tax breaks whichever one it was to quit planting them.
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/20/16 04:42 PM

I would put the mallard hunting on Proctor in it's prime against anywhere in the country. I would have gotten out of college a whole lot faster if the peanuts had left earlier. I still have video of birds from back in '99 that most people don't believe....
Posted By: Windrider

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/21/16 12:07 AM

Much of the peanuts have been replaced by cotten. Ducks don't eat cotten.

I looked it up a few years back and Texas had become one of the top cotten growers in the us
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: FYI BRA Duck Hunts - 07/21/16 12:52 AM

yeah wind, youre right. if all the cotton was corn, rice, and or beans we'd be just like Missouri, Arkansas, or Kansas lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum