Texas Hunting Forum

Mud Motor Question

Posted By: Deerslayer94

Mud Motor Question - 06/08/16 10:57 PM

So Iv always heard that a mud motor or go devil doesn't have to be registered in Texas because its not viewed as an outboard and what not. I read a few things that got me double thinking it. I bought a go devil frame and put a honda 4 stroke on it. I shouldn't have to register it correct? Just wanted some opinions.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 01:33 PM

That only applies to Go-Devil popcorn

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 02:00 PM

So no registration required then? its just the go devil frame
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 09:46 PM

Lol , are you talking registering the motor? Or the vessel its pushing?
Anything moving besides paddle power has to be registered on public.
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 10:24 PM

this^^^^^
Posted By: Judd

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 10:48 PM

Title for the motor but no registration...BadLander is right on the boat registration. I don't have any clue what they do for motors that are homemade and you want a title.

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 10:59 PM

No my boat is registered thats all good. just read somewhere that the mud motor has to be registered? I always thought differently, thats why Im asking for opinions on here. The motor is basically homemade a go devil frame with a honda 4 stroke on it.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Title for the motor but no registration...BadLander is right on the boat registration. I don't have any clue what they do for motors that are homemade and you want a title.

Hey don't you have a story to tell?
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/09/16 11:29 PM

I did the same thing and built one. Game warden just wanted to see boat registration

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/10/16 12:03 AM

Awesome thats what I heard originally. Thanks
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/10/16 03:14 AM

Call TPWD. If they can't give you a straight answer, call one of the wardens in your area

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/10/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
Originally Posted By: Judd

Hey don't you have a story to tell?

About???
Posted By: pervis

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/10/16 05:32 PM

I have a 55 mag mud buddy and it's titled.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/10/16 11:13 PM

From what I remember, the only reason to title the motor is if it's gets stolen, they can trace motor back to you because of SN.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/11/16 08:42 PM

TPWD says the motors have to be titled. Why, so they can tax you for it and make money on registering it.

I personally do not have my mud motor titled, I have the MSO if there is ever a question of ownership.

My boat is registered and titled, been checked by State and Federal Gw's in different states and have never been asked to see a title for the boat or motor.

If my rig, boat or motor ever gets stolen I do not want it back anyway, I have insurance. Even if it gets stolen you would not need a title to recover as long as you have the serial number and can prove ownership, IE mso, bill of sale, or receipt.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/12/16 08:40 PM

I have a collection of old motors and a mud motor. I think I may only have 1 or 2 titles. Never been bothered before about the motor when getting stopped. If it were me, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/12/16 09:50 PM

Thats the conclusion iv pretty much reached at this point lol

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/13/16 01:36 AM

Not a bad approach if you plan on keeping it forever...I personally won't buy a rig without titles for boat/motor. TX don't do trailer titles so that's different.
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/13/16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: mohunter
TPWD says the motors have to be titled. Why, so they can tax you for it and make money on registering it.

bingo...state gonna get theirs. And just for the record, the state sees any motor that is powered by fuel and can be taken on and off a transom to be considered an outboard motor..doesn't matter who built it or the design... a manufacturer or Cooter Brown
Posted By: garrett

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/14/16 01:11 AM

Lots of good info here up

Re: Mud Motor Question - 06/14/16 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster
I have a collection of old motors and a mud motor. I think I may only have 1 or 2 titles. Never been bothered before about the motor when getting stopped. If it were me, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Would there be a fine if I were to get stopped and didn't have a title but had proof of sale? My boat and trailer are both registered and good to go.
Posted By: cdbdog

Re: Mud Motor Question - 08/27/19 11:37 PM

I just had an experience with this topic. I want to pass along what I learned first hand. This is for Texas. As of January 1, 1994 all internal combustion outboard motors must be titled. Mud motors are considered outboards by TPWD definitions. As with an automobile, you are not required to have the title with you while out operating the boat/motor. The title will be registered in the system. If law enforcement runs the serial number on the motor, they will know if it is titled or not. Even though game wardens may not always run the motor serial number during a routine check, they can do so. If they do and it is not titled, you could receive a citation or could even risk having your vessel seized for a property hearing. Having a proof of purchase or MSO does not negate the requirement of title. If a person ever tries to sell an untitled motor, the new owner will not be able to title it under their name until the original owner gets a title. A person has a "reasonable time" (20 days) to apply for title after purchase. Penalties can also be applied if the application is not made in a reasonable time (20 days).
Posted By: Guy

Re: Mud Motor Question - 08/28/19 12:06 AM

Thx, good first post. up
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Mud Motor Question - 08/28/19 02:58 PM

Read and know the law folks

"Sec. 31.045. OWNERSHIP OF VESSELS AND OUTBOARD MOTORS; CERTIFICATES OF TITLE.

a. The ownership of a vessel or of an outboard motor is evidenced by a certificate of title issued by the department, unless the vessel or the outboard motor is new.
b. The ownership of a new vessel or a new outboard motor is evidenced by a manufacturer's or an importer's certificate executed on a form prescribed by the department.
c. Separate certificates of title are required for vessels and for outboard motors.”

Effective January 1, 1994, all motorboats and all outboard motors must be titled. Also sailboats 14 feet and over in length must be titled.

All motorized boats, regardless of length;
All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
All internal combustion (gasoline/diesel/propane powered) outboard motors must be titled.
Boat trailers are handled through your local County Tax office.
Posted By: steve@hydrodynamics

Re: Mud Motor Question - 08/28/19 07:46 PM

i'm a Texas boat dealer.

any engine must be titled!! $27.00 and sales tax paid on it. 6.25%

only the boat has to be registered. $53 for registration and $27 for title along with the 6.25% (unless it's under 16' then it's only $32 for registration)

if it's a home built engine... it's easy enough to get it titled. no big deal..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum