Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON)

Posted By: WillEng

Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 02/29/16 02:25 AM

Hey Yall-

Im new to the area and want to start doing more duck hunting next season (only got once this season!)

Have any spots near Houston that would be worth checking out in the off season and hitting come season?

Thanks Much!

Will
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 02/29/16 02:35 AM

Welcome to the forum Will.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 02/29/16 03:06 AM

I live in brazoria county, im new to the area, but they say its a great area.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 02/29/16 03:23 AM

Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 02/29/16 04:28 AM

Welcome Will! Where'd ya come from? I was born in Minnesota, lived in North Dakota before I moved here. Also in the Houston area (Katy). Depending on how much you wanna drive, you're either gonna love it here or hate it. Straight up, public land options are slim around here...in the fresh water. Learn the salt brother! The hunting on the coast can be second to none, including my years spent in North and South Dakota. Start researching. Browse the Internet for tips on how to hunt salt marshes and what to look for. Freshwater inlets & shallow, weedy back baus are always a safe bet. I could type for hours about what I've learned in the last couple seasons, but learning it for yourself is half the fun. Feel free to post up any specific questions. I won't give spots, but I'm more than willing to help in any other way
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 02/29/16 01:19 PM

Will, I have no Idea about your area. There is a post stickied at the top of the forum with a bunch of good info for public options. I'd give it a look first.

I've never hunted the salt, but I'd imagine there are endless opportunities down that way, provided you have the means to get to them.

Good Luck

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/03/16 10:15 PM

Im actually originally from Maryland. Thanks for the advice guys.
Posted By: snowbuster

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/03/16 10:34 PM

Fishuhalik is right good hunting on the bay just a lot of redheads depending on where you go

The rivers are some good hunting as well bud, trinity is some what hard due to the fact there are a lot of people that hunt it, but if you go west you will be good to go (Colorado and Brazos) this is if you have a boat

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/04/16 01:18 AM

I dont have one ATM but I am hoping to buy a small jon boat over the summer.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/05/16 01:46 PM

Screw the coast and killing 2 redheads. Come east of Houston and hunt Anahuac, McFaddin, or JD Murphee

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/05/16 09:58 PM

Yeah, all we kill on the coast is reds

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/05/16 10:03 PM

We do kill a few of them though...

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/05/16 10:09 PM

And other assorted divers

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/05/16 10:11 PM

It just completely depends on where you go and how much time you spend scouting. If you don't like shooting reds, find other birds

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/06/16 01:20 AM

Oh, and you don't really need a boat. Sure, it helps tremendously, but there's a ton of good water to hunt by foot or canoe/kayak. I had an incredible season this year in my canoe
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Duck Hunting Public Land (HOUSTON) - 03/30/16 01:49 PM

If you want to get on duck/goose lease, Eagle Lake can be a pretty good spot to go. SW of Katy. 45 minute to an hour drive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum