Texas Hunting Forum

Dumb Question ( magazine plug )

Posted By: syncerus

Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 04:38 AM

I've only hunted ducks a few of times, and I used my BPS 10 gauge, so this question never occurred to me.

I just bought a 12 gauge auto that will supposedly shoot 2.75, 3 and 3.5 inch shells. If I can fit two 3.5 inch shells in the magazine or three 2.75 inch shells in the magazine, how does the game warden check for magazine size compliance? Obviously, if you have more than two rounds in the magazine under any circumstances, you're wrong, but let's say I only have 3.5 and 3.0 shells in possession and only two of those sized shells will fit in my magazine. Am I legal?

Not trying to be a lawyer here, just curious and try to make sure that I'm within the law.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 04:43 AM

U need a lawyer
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 05:34 AM

A magazine designed or factory plugged for two 3.5 inch shells should not hold three 2.75 inch shells. The lengths given are for fired length of those shells, and there will be some small differences in loaded length between different loads or brands of shells, but the difference in lengths between 2.75 and 3.5 inch loaded shells will still be about the same.

3.5 + 3.5 = 7
2.75 + 2.75 = 5.5
7 - 5.5 = 1.5

Magazines are going to be slightly over sized to make up for the differences in loaded lengths of shells, but should not be enough to allow a third 2.75 shell. If your 3.5 inch shotgun magazine holds more than two 2.75 inch shells, I doubt it has a plug in it or it has the wrong size plug.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 09:28 AM

Try it yourself before you hit the field. If three 2 3\4 shells go into the magazine with the plug installed then you would have a problem.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 01:12 PM

I am with Sniper John, I would set that magazine to hold 7" worth of shells (Maybe 7 1/4" - 7 1/2" to give a little wiggle room). Then there is no way that three 2 3/4" shells can fit, as they would need 8 1/4". I would just play it safe.

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 02:31 PM

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I am with Sniper John, I would set that magazine to hold 7" worth of shells (Maybe 7 1/4" - 7 1/2" to give a little wiggle room). Then there is no way that three 2 3/4" shells can fit, as they would need 8 1/4". I would just play it safe.

You would have to adjust those figures for the loaded length of a 3.5 shell. A 2 3\4 inch shell for example is really around 2 5\16 loaded length.
2 3/4 is the length of the fired shell.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 07:00 PM

Does it hold 3 2 3/4 shells now?

If it has the factory plug it should only hold two of any size shell that is 2 3/4 or larger. No math needed.

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 08:21 PM

The manual confused me, which is why I posted. It said one 3.5, two 3 or three 2.75 shells. I'll find out for sure tomorrow or Sunday.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 09:14 PM

Have never tried to do the math but have owned 3 different 3.5 inch chambered 12ga shotguns, a Remington and a Mossberg and a Benelli. All 3 will hold 2 shells in the mag with the plug in but a third will not fit no matter the shell length.

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/26/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Have never tried to do the math but have owned 3 different 3.5 inch chambered 12ga shotguns, a Remington and a Mossberg and a Benelli. All 3 will hold 2 shells in the mag with the plug in but a third will not fit no matter the shell length.

You're a blast from the past. Haven't see you post in the mig section in forever and 21 days.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/27/16 03:04 AM

Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man's here. We need a live... is it a live rooster? We need a live rooster to take the curse off Jose's glove and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present...is that about right?

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/27/16 03:18 AM

Candlesticks always seem to make a nice gift, and, uh, maybe find out where she's registered and a place setting or maybe silverware is always good.

wink
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/27/16 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

Never done the math, either, but this I'd how my Stoeger works with its factory installed plug.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/27/16 07:15 AM

7 - 5.5 = 1.5.... Put the factory plug in. They have a tool with a line on it they stick in there. If they can measure 3 2.75 (7.25 inches or more) inch shells you will get a ticket no matter what regardless of what shells you have on you.

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/27/16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
(snip)They have a tool with a line on it (snip)

That's what I thought. I've been checked by wardens while big game hunting, but never while hunting birds. Thanks for the information. The manual is really weak, so I'll try a bunch of shells today and see what fits.

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 02/28/16 11:47 PM

By the way, the paragraph below from the owner's manual is what prompted this entire discussion. The information is entirely erroneous. As the majority of you suggested, the actual magazine capacity is 2x3.5 or 2x3.0 or 2x2.75. Three 2.75 shells will not fit unless the factory plug is removed.

Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 03/05/16 02:22 PM

this should answer your question...happy hunting!
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 03/16/16 03:11 AM

I"ve never heard of a 3 1/2" 12 gauge shell---------

Re: Dumb Question ( magazine plug ) - 03/16/16 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
I"ve never heard of a 3 1/2" 12 gauge shell---------

loser8
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum