Texas Hunting Forum

Close it up

Posted By: wal1809

Close it up - 01/31/16 02:09 PM

Long story short. The girls wanted to close the season with us. This was my worst season EVER! Time just came up and bit me in the arse.

The rancher called and said my pond had mallards stacked like fried chicken in a bucket. Mallards were a no show but the wooducks were like mosqitoes. Had a good shoot, good visit, awesome weather.

My wife and I stayed to look for arrowheads. 3 hours 3 heartbreakers.

Re: Close it up - 01/31/16 02:17 PM

That is my little black bitch, Seeketh. She didn't miss a bird. Our ponds are super tough for a dog. There are a lot of rush plants at one end. All wounded birds go straight to the rush. It is tough for us to walk through, absolutely draining for a dog. They have to jump up and over with every step. We are going to kill it all next year. Well she is 11 years old and stomped that pond like boss. I was really proud of her.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Close it up - 01/31/16 03:47 PM

good shoot and great way to close it out. still offshore over here
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Close it up - 02/01/16 02:19 AM

Nice
Posted By: oilag

Re: Close it up - 02/01/16 03:01 AM

Brandon - you work offshore oilfield? If so, glad to see you still headed out there!tough times right now...

Re: Close it up - 02/01/16 06:24 AM

Times are bad tough for oilfield guys.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Close it up - 02/01/16 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: oilag
Brandon - you work offshore oilfield? If so, glad to see you still headed out there!tough times right now...

I do, in my line of work we either complete the wells or abandon the wells, . Times are tough and like I said in my other post, I appreciate everyones business this year. Yall definetly helped keeping food on the table for my family and a couple of others.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Close it up - 02/01/16 07:09 PM

Nice. Love the Prowler back there. Ours bit the dust finally so we dismantled and burned and torched it to pieces over the deer season. Nice to get the rat nest out of camp.

Re: Close it up - 02/01/16 07:27 PM

The guys in that Prowler found it last year for 500 bucks. They did good. They built a huge porch with cedar and old barn tin. They got a nice setup.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Close it up - 02/02/16 12:30 AM

Congrats on the hunt and the arrowheads. It always amazes me when people find arrowheads. In all my time afield, I've never found one and I'm always looking.

Re: Close it up - 02/02/16 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Misfire
Congrats on the hunt and the arrowheads. It always amazes me when people find arrowheads. In all my time afield, I've never found one and I'm always looking.

Finding one that just lost is hard to do. Finding a whole bunch of them because you get below a hill where they camped from 400 years ago to 8000 years ago is a whole different ball game. We just got lucky. We also go on paid dogs and hammer the artifacts.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum