Texas Hunting Forum

If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be?

Posted By: TrackQuack

If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:29 AM

I know this has been talked about multiple times. My main criteria is realism and durability.

From research I am thinking Dakota Decoys. I have heard good things on Avian X and I get a good deal on Tanglefree but no exposure to them. Opinions? Looking at floaters and full body duck decoys
Posted By: wal1809

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:36 AM

G and H for durability for sure.
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:42 AM

I like the Avian X stuff and the Tanglefree mallards
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:46 AM

Plastic i like Flambeau, first choice is cork.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:52 AM

Realism is an over rated and over thought out issue for duck decoys. Geese and cranes are an entirely different game.

G&H for the longevity out of current market plastic deeks. I have some 25 year old flambeaus that are still ticking. The new breed of chinese junk is just junk

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco
Realism is an over rated and over thought out issue for duck decoys. Geese and cranes are an entirely different game.

G&H for the longevity out of current market plastic deeks. I have some 25 year old flambeaus that are still ticking. The new breed of chinese junk is just junk

Agreed
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 02:01 AM

Higdon
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 03:44 AM

Why higdon?
Posted By: TXPride

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 03:45 AM

G and H are durable and American made. I've hunted over them when I was a guest on a hunt. We hammered the birds, but I kept thinking how goofy they looked.

However, I stopped and talked to some other hunters on my walk back in one morning and they had avian x decoys out, and I couldn't stop staring at them because they looked so good, and rode perfectly in the water.

I won a bunch of Greenhead Gear decoys so that's what I use and they are ok, but I'm not sure I would recommend them
Posted By: BDB

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 03:54 AM

I think realism is overrated so durability is what i go for. I went with avian x. Very durable. (but they do look good also) 2 seasons slinging them around and they are fine. I do not use slot bags either. Your budget will determine what brand you go with. I know of some guides who detest the latest and greatest in decoys because of the price now days. But $60 to them for a half dozen is not the same for me or you....or maybe it is for you. Like I said, your budget is different than mine or someone's else. If price is no concern Avian or dakota will be hard to beat.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 04:06 AM

Avian X
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 05:00 AM

I've got both Dakota and AvianX and without a doubt Dakotas are far more realistic in both looks and movement with wind. AvianX decoys look pretty good (not as good as Dakota) but they don't seem to react to wind as well. I'm sold on Dakotas.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 12:29 PM

G & H hands down!

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:39 PM

In the last two years I have sold off some 300-400 decoys. Some I have had for 30 years. I am switching to all G and H. The realism part is what I don't really understand. I see a little of what your talking about in the mallards. The redheads, pintails and widgeon are outstanding looking. I think the pintails and widgeons are some of the best looking on the market. Honestly it doesn't matter. A bird coming in at 40 miles per hour will not be able to distinguish the little details.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 01:50 PM

Full Curls
Posted By: Lost Hound

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
A bird coming in at 40 miles per hour will not be able to distinguish the little details.

Combine that with some of y'alls calling and you'll see less birds
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 02:17 PM

Wooden blocks for me.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 02:24 PM

I ain't carrying no heavy wood deeks to only have to carry them back to the truck, you must be a healthy boy
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 02:45 PM

For full bodys, GHG is the only way to go. IMO, motion is the most important think for full bodys. There are others that are a little more durable or realistic, but GHG is the only brand that gets any movement in less than 15 mph wind. Dakota, Avian X, and Hidgon make good looking fullbodys, but you need a tornado to get any consistent movement out of them.

As for floaters, I would go Avian X or Dakota.
Quote:
A bird coming in at 40 miles per hour will not be able to distinguish the little details.
maybe a bird flying by at 40 can't tell the difference, but a flock circling 3 times at 60 yds sure can. Realism certainly isn't the most important thing, but it makes a little difference. Location, concealment, and motion are far more important, but all else being equal, the guy with more realistic decoys is going to shoot a few more birds.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Originally Posted By: Lost Hound
I ain't carrying no heavy wood deeks to only have to carry them back to the truck, you must be a healthy boy

That what Barney Who is for.

Combine that with some of y'alls calling and you'll see less birds

Well there you got a point.
Posted By: Avian Assassins

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 02:51 PM

Used to use GHG and swore by them for a lot of years. the last few years though have been noticing that the quality of the paint has gotten very poor and the durability of the decoy as well. I have switched to Avian X and love them. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but it's because they are worth it.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender

That what Barney Who is for.

I cain't afford a bird boy, I am thinking of buying me some of those inflatable decoys, I could probably stuff 3-4 dozen in my pockets
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mallard Mafia
Used to use GHG and swore by them for a lot of years. the last few years though have been noticing that the quality of the paint has gotten very poor and the durability of the decoy as well. I have switched to Avian X and love them. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but it's because they are worth it.

Yep my 10 year old ghg's look better than my 3 month old ones as far as paint sticking.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Originally Posted By: Mallard Mafia

Yep my 10 year old ghg's look better than my 3 month old ones as far as paint sticking.

The only decoys I have now that arent G and H are the GHG 3/4 bodies. They have held very well. When I go to the north country I consider the GHG an essential gear for where I am hunting. In the slotted bags I put a float decoy in the belly of the 3/4 decoy and then both into the slot. 2 dozen per bag, 2 bags is plenty and sometimes too much depending on the river.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
For full bodys, GHG is the only way to go. IMO, motion is the most important think for full bodys. There are others that are a little more durable or realistic, but GHG is the only brand that gets any movement in less than 15 mph wind. Dakota, Avian X, and Hidgon make good looking fullbodys, but you need a tornado to get any consistent movement out of them.

You cannot be more right about this. I love me some GHG full body and the GHG shells work really well also.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Buffs 1

As for floaters, I would go Avian X or Dakota.
Quote:
maybe a bird flying by at 40 can't tell the difference, but a flock circling 3 times at 60 yds sure can. Realism certainly isn't the most important thing, but it makes a little difference. Location, concealment, and motion are far more important, but all else being equal, the guy with more realistic decoys is going to shoot a few more birds.

I guess all of my hunts only produce STOOPID birds then. I shot these in a field on my last hunt with the keels stabbed down in the dirt. As stated, the realism on duck decoys is for the buyer. Those birds circled more than a couple times.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 05:51 PM

I never said you can't kill birds without top of the line decoys. I've shot plenty of ducks over 30 year old water keels with hardly any paint on them. I said that all things being equal, realistic decoys can make a difference.

Nice pile by the way.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 05:59 PM

pato where'd you get a whoopin crane permit?

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

Naw, you mis ID'ed another one. That's a Double Crested cormorant and a lesser one at that. Got a depredation tag.

I guess I been lucky with my cartoon G&H decoys all year.
Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 06:48 PM

Naw, you mis ID'ed another one. That's a Double Crested cormorant and a lesser one at that. Got a depredation tag.

Say what?

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 06:50 PM

Hmmm., I've never seen a cormorant look like a sandhill.....popcorn bolt
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns

You clearly don't know what a Sandhill or Double Crested cormorant look like.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 07:47 PM

Dakota
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 08:10 PM

I must have missed the pic. mad
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 08:22 PM

If you say realism doesn't matter then why would durability, if the paint comes off then they aren't realistic yet you spend 4x as much on decoys that hold paint?

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/28/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns

You clearly don't know what a Sandhill or Double Crested cormorant look like.

Well it sure looked like a Sandhill to me. What's clear is the evidence is now deleted....I guess we'll never know.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: TrackQuack
If you say realism doesn't matter then why would durability, if the paint comes off then they aren't realistic yet you spend 4x as much on decoys that hold paint?

Its the stay afloat part that we are speaking of. Chinese deeks bust keels, loose chunks when strafed.

Pic was of 4 mallards, 2 pintails and a lesser sandhill. I realized that posting pics was a topwater barney move and removed it. Carry on

Edited to add: I wanna grow up to be like the Beav
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 12:23 AM

Dakota are hard to beat.
They look the most realistic out there.
They look beefy.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
Higdon

Foam filled

Look good

American made

Great customer service if you have a problem you talk to a person on the phone and they mail you what you need.

I had a pulsator short out and they sent me a new timer and bilge pump. I lost the heads off 2
Decoys and when I called to order some more they sent me 4 replacement heads free of charge.
Posted By: Littlejr13

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 09:48 AM

I run avian X and Dakotas, mallard decoys it's Dakotas and it's not even close! Now the rest of my decoys are all avian X! Def love the X's pintails an gadwalls! And I do have avian X mallards but beside the Dakotas it's huge difference! Now durability I love on the X's!

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 11:13 AM

Higdon

Foam filled

Look good

American made

Great customer service if you have a problem you talk to a person on the phone and they mail you what you need.

I had a pulsator short out and they sent me a new timer and bilge pump. I lost the heads off 2
Decoys and when I called to order some more they sent me 4 replacement heads free of charge.

I did not know Higdon was still made in America. That's good to know.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 12:11 PM

I'm going with Dakotas next year. Realism may not matter to the ducks but it gives me a little extra confidence in my spread. Especially sine I'll be spending a lot more time in the great state of kansas.

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 01:33 PM

Higdon

Foam filled

Look good

American made

I did not know Higdon was still made in America. That's good to know.

Heck they may not be. I'm not sure, but their customer service is great.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 05:55 PM

Higdons for me, they are solid but heavy if do not boat in.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: If you had to pick one decoy brand what would it be? - 01/29/16 06:24 PM

I'm sold on ghg. It's all I have and the weighted keels are awesome. They've gone through a couple years of real hard use and are still looking good. I'm sure there's others that are more realistic, but I'm on a budget and for the money, I don't think they can beat. If you're only buying a couple dozen, spend the money on something better. If you're like me and need to have a diver spread of 60 (and growing to 150 by next year) and a puddler spread of 54, spending $140 a dozen isn't doable
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum