Texas Hunting Forum

Post Season Habitat Management

Posted By: Teamjefe

Post Season Habitat Management - 01/26/16 01:09 PM

Ok so now that the season is over its time to start thinking about next year. What is everyone preparing to do to their wetlands? We will be doing early season draw downs on two of our four units. The other two will be drained quickly then burned when they dry out. We have too much woody vegetation growing in them.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Post Season Habitat Management - 01/26/16 08:14 PM

We will be draining and planting our wetland again this year. Last year we planted millet and had some success with it although we planted it way too thick. This year we are trying to decide if we want to plant corn along with it or possibly another crop.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Post Season Habitat Management - 01/27/16 12:50 AM

Adding max boards for spring floods- try mainly moist soil. Plant edges w millet were grasses don't grow later in season. Try maximize surface area until March April May
Posted By: Chronotrigger

Re: Post Season Habitat Management - 02/01/16 01:21 AM

I am considering planting some millet around a pond at my mom's place near Singleton. We primarily shoot wood ducks and would like to entice some other species in. The pond is maybe only a half acre and about 120 yards from her house. I think I can just hook up a sprinkler to water it during the summer since I have no way of controlling the water level. It would also need a hot wire around the area because of cattle / horses. Have any of y'all had good results planting in this kind of situation? Maybe I should just dump a bucket of duck weed in and call it good. Hearing about people shooting 100+ ducks a season has got me wanting to step my game up.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Post Season Habitat Management - 02/01/16 02:22 AM

Flooded corn.

Nothing else
Posted By: Blue drake

Re: Post Season Habitat Management - 02/01/16 03:18 AM

Planting millet, duck weed and trying wild rice in north east Texas.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum