Texas Hunting Forum

Stanfield Outfitters

Posted By: Ty Webb

Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 10:00 PM

Our group of 8 hunters reserved 1/15-1/17 last summer when we all sent in our deposits of $325/man. The owner, Jeff, had told us twice the week leading up to our trip that they were completely covered in mallards & geese. We were all anticipating the best.
We showed up at the meeting spot on Friday in Hobart OK and left with our guide to hunt mallards on a 1 acre tank. We hunted from 3:30 to 5:30 and halfway decoyed 2 birds during that time. We dropped the hen when the shot was called at 40 yds. The guide didn't say a word to us during the hunt.
Our gameplan to get back on track in the morning was to hunt a tank that had '2500 geese and 1000 ducks.' We caravanned to the spot through the sleet and snow that had been falling for several hours. Just before reaching our spot the guide began to slide all over the dirt road and finally buried his trailer up to the axle. There was only 1 guide for our group of 8 hunters and he did not have a gator or Polaris with him. Without a doubt, 2 guides with 2 trucks filled with blinds and decoys would've been plenty. Every hunter was willing to walk in for the hunt. We sat there until legal when we began to hear shotgun blasts ringing out from all around us from other groups dropping the hammer. We were told to wait for the owner down the road after the guide unhooked his trailer and drove off.
Jeff showed up 30 mins later and blamed the weather for ruining our morning. We mentioned that every other hunter in the area seemed to have a 'plan B' for the road conditions that particular morning. He said that based on the weather and temps, he had no way to guarantee that we could even be able to hunt Sunday morning. He decided to cancel the rest of Saturday & all of Sunday at that point. He suggested we roll our deposits over to next season and we stated that all 8 of us were meeting to eat breakfast and we would discuss that option at that point.
Via email today, several guys in our group requested that Jeff refund their deposit back to their credit card. Jeff said that wasn't going to happen. He refused to be held accountable for what happened and said that the only option was to select the dates for our hunt next season. We had a couple newbies in our group but several of us have been with dozens of outfitters both here and abroad and no one had ever seen someone so oblivious to customer service like this.

I wonder if the $2600 he pocketed for nothing was worth it?
Posted By: garrett

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 10:16 PM

1 guide is plenty for your group, no need for 2nd guide

a non-refundable deposit is just that, non-refundable, he offered to comp you hunts next season...thats the difference between a good outfit and and bad outfit

I bet the other side of the story is a pretty good one also clap
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 10:42 PM

The Stanfield bunch are ALL crooks STAY AWAY
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 10:48 PM

Does the beaver have an alter ego now?
Posted By: duckman10

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
1 guide is plenty for your group, no need for 2nd guide

a non-refundable deposit is just that, non-refundable, he offered to comp you hunts next season...thats the difference between a good outfit and and bad outfit

I bet the other side of the story is a pretty good one also clap

I agree, it's hunting and [censored] happens. Why not roll your deposit over and give it a go next season?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 11:00 PM

Guides are like every other walk of life - some are great and some just wake up each day and try to pull a plan out of their backside. Why would anyone want to "rollover" their deposit to hunt with a loser again the next season? The odds of the same cluster occurring next season are pretty high.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/19/16 11:46 PM

I have stayed and hunted with Stanfield Outfitters on several occassions. At least 4 times, each time we went every member in our party limited out. Now, they didnt not like the fact that we were bringing our own dogs (2) and could not be grouped up with other hunters because of it. They wanted to put out twice the number of decoys, therefore needed to hunt with 2 guides and other groups of 4. we were willing to put out twice as many decoys ourselves if that meant hunting with our dogs. They werent thrilled about it, but agreed. I have recommended them to others many times. Will continue to do so. That said, I once had a crummy experience with a well known goose guide in the Eagle Lake area. We asked for at least a partial refund. He refused & offered another trip during the weekdays. I think they shouldhave refunded your money.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 12:34 AM

Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

confused2
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 12:48 AM

Agreed! Sometimes you just can't catch them all or shoot them all! A lot of people don't consider guiding a job etc! We put in a lot of work, time and money into trying to put them on a waterfowl trip of a lifetime.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:11 AM

I agree that sometimes the stars just don't line up, but IF that's really how it went down I'm with the beav

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

Its even worse when the birds DO fly and being so close to the X, but the outfitter is unable to get to them due to poor organization, bad judgement and no adequate equipment to fight a 1/2 inch wet snow and "frigid" 34 degree weather, followed by a bizarre cancellation of 3 more hunts in very good conditions for the remainder of the weekend. Oh well, no biggie, there is always next adventure.

yep

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:21 AM

Well one side of the story does seem to make it sound like a bad deal, BUT we haven't heard the other side. Could that half inch of moister fallen on ground already saturated by 12 inches of rain making it travel impossible? I mean if it weren't for my tractor and wagon most of our trips would have been cancelled in Weatherford

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:26 AM

A comped hunt?
That's your take on the facts I listed earlier?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Ty Webb

A comped hunt?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

So your an expert on goose hunting and driving on rural muddy roads? Why do you even need a guide then?

I'm not taking up for Jeff, I'm just saying as a guide also I know every story has two sides
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:44 AM

A comped hunt?
bolt

So your an expert on goose hunting and driving on rural muddy roads? Why do you even need a guide then?

I'm not taking up for Jeff, I'm just saying as a guide also I know every story has two sides

Cause perhaps the guide leases the most desirable thousands of acres next to a refuge in the middle of the migration confused2 nidea

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:56 AM

A comped hunt?
bolt

Cause perhaps the guide leases the most desirable thousands of acres next to a refuge in the middle of the migration confused2 nidea

Then maybe you should hang out your shingle

Dutchys guide service

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:04 AM

This story reminds me of a pancake in a way

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:09 AM

Douchys Guide Service would be a terrible name for a business, IMO

Jesters Guide Service...that's bad also really

Royal Blue Outfitters "where we treat you like a king"...that actually has a ring to it, good set up to cater to the high rollers

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:10 AM

I bet you would be the first one in line

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:13 AM

At royal blue? Depends on price really, I'm poor folk from down in cedar chopper country

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:15 AM

My question is why do you ( beaver ) change guides every year?? 90% of mine have been hunting with me for years!! Some were setting in the blind with BB guns and are in college now. But you change every season

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:25 AM

My question is why do you ( beaver ) change guides every year?? 90% of mine have been hunting with me for years!! Some where setting in the blind with BB guns and are in college now. But you change every season

Cause i enjoy traveling and hunting different states and different species, not just ducks.

Just like playing golf, i like to play different courses. I never understood people belonging to one club and playing the same course for 20 years.

I have clients i have to meet in illinois and arkansas every year, and they take me out after business.
For the other states such as kansas and oklahoma i hire guides. I like to hunt 4 different states every year. We dont chose the expensive guides. Just average pricing.

I do not change guides every year. I hunt with the once i had the most fun with together with great success.
I prolly hunt ducks/geese or cranes a total of 45 days per year. 10 of them are guided. The rest are on my own leases.

Run n gun, muddy waters, prairie thunder, blake, and panhandles best are just a few good ones to name

I like to try different states and enjoy the road trips with some americana.

Also, these last 10 years, Texas has a lot of duck drama, too many fighting guides, too many hunters, not enough public waters, etc...You go up north, its different and usually better. Anywhere between southern oklahoma and northern nebraska is amazing, not just pondpopping. The real deal.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:31 AM

Well I seem to remember you bragging about him, now your burning on him

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:42 AM

im not burning him, nor did i started this thread.
Sometimes a mild burn is good for you, helps you readjust and reset your priorities.
Like i said, 8 hunters ended up pissed off and were shocked the entire trip was cancelled at 9 am while the weather was just fine and the birds were there. Some guys made 1 phonecall to another local outfitter who took them out on sunday and they shot a limit within minutes. Other guys of my group made 1 phonecall at 10 am on saturday and we got to hunt a very successfull hunt starting at 2:30 pm, (thanks muddy waters) Thousands of hungry birds.

You not making the extra effort, im going somewhere else with my cash, Its that simple. Too bad we had to improvise on our own plan B.

I also like to hunt with the owner of the guiding service who is as passionate as myself about Bird hunting.
It usually works better that way and is usually possible if you book long in advance.

Just like in the restaurant business, the service is usually better when the owner is there every day.
Too many out fitters are just in there for the money nowadays. Follow your passion and the money will follow.
Follow the money and things like this will happen frequently.
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:47 AM

Douche's guide service does have a ring to it.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:52 AM

I am leaning to the beaver on this one.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:55 AM

im not burning him, nor did i started this thread.
Sometimes a mild burn is good for you, helps you readjust and reset your priorities.
Like i said, 8 hunters ended up pissed off and were chocked the entire trip was cancelled at 9 am while the weather was just fine and the birds were there. Some guys made 1 phonecall to another local outfitter who took them out on sunday and they shot a limit within minutes. Thousands of hungry birds.
You not making the extra effort, im going somewhere else with my cash, Its that simple.

I also like to hunt with the owner of the guiding service who is as passionate as myself about Bird hunting.
It usually works better that way and is usually possible if you book long in advance.

Just like in the restaurant business, the service is usually better when the owner is there every day.
Too many out fitters are just in there for the money nowadays. Follow your passion and the money will follow.
Follow the money and things like this will happen frequently.

yawn

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:56 AM

Instead of starting this thread to help other hunters avoid what we went through over this past weekend, I really should've re-taken that class I skipped at school a ways back. I would've been much better equipped to deal with elder and garrett today. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:58 AM

Oh so we are trolls because we want to hear the other side of the story..... Ok

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:59 AM

I remember Ivan saying how great Jeff was and now he sucks.. Ok

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:06 AM

Never said he sucked. You reading in between the lines again.

Yes, i said good things about him in the past and sent many hunters his way. Most were happy, some not.

After 3 consecutive bad hunts (3 days each) in knox over the years, the outfitter urged me to book in oklahoma and that our group was gonna be on the top of his list.

Not.

Sometimes in life you have to forget and move along.

Trust me Jeff, if you were there with us, you would have understood. We are pretty tolerant people, but nough is nough.
Posted By: Arbor Guy

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:13 AM

That's a tough situation. I always seem to have bad luck when hiring guides(both fishing and hunting). I always seem to get my expectations too high and something goes awry in the plans about 40% of the time (Foul weather, flooding, bite stops, etc) usually through no fault of the guide.

It happens and you can't get too upset b/c there are no guarantees...but when the guides quit efforting or when I find out that I'm more interested in the trip than the guide I get irked.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:14 AM

Ok Ivan I believe you. For once you made a decent post

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:31 AM

I'm impressed by "well spoken beaver", he needs to post more

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:41 AM

Your well spoken posts make post like that more tolerable clap
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:26 AM

Ive had more less than desirable experiences with outfitters than good. It is one of many reasons I don't pay people to do what i can do myself. I used to drink too many free beers at banquets and end up in pissing contest.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Elder
Ok Ivan I believe you. For once you made a decent post

Posted By: Lost Hound

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:26 AM

Usually because the fishing guide doesn't say we are covered in 1000s of fish, or promising a great day. I have never asked for a comped hunt, I am smart enough to know when someone is blowing smoke and someone is honestly trying.

I hunted with Stanfield once in 2004, I have never recommended him or his outfit when asked or even considered using him since. He had the chance to make it right and didn't, his loss.

The guide is only as good as his marketing, if he has to do it, I am not interested, but if his clients are doing it for him with positive reviews, I am interested.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 01:58 PM

I drove by Stanfield's operation once! Dude was outside and didn't wave at me. I'll NEVER hunt with that guy. realmad
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:00 PM

Man this got stupid fast. Point is, the outfitters employee compromised a hunt, and the actual outfitter cancelled two days worth of hunting. Options should have been to roll remaining money over to next year, or refund. Period. End of story. If the outfitter cancels hunts, he should refund that money. If you have bad hunts due to lack of weather or birds, just how it goes sometimes I guess.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:18 PM

A comped hunt?
bolt

I would have to add to this comment.... There are three sides to every story. Truth is always somewhere in the middle. This is why it is called hunting though. It happens and getting free go at it again is all that a guide can do. Trust me, none of us like it. Every trip cost us time and money, therefore, it is a bigger loss to us guides when we have to do it again for free. I have no problem doing it, but it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth halfway through the morning when I realize they aren't enjoying themselves as they imagined and the next one will not cover fuel and maintenance costs. This year especially, I think something broke every trip I went on. Suck it up is what I tell the OP and quit being a Diva about it.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:21 PM

Would you comp it if you got your sweet Argo stuck halfway to the blind and didn't take your guys anywhere else that morning? There's a big difference between birds not showing up and your guide not getting you to the hunt. Add in cancelling the remaining hunts when you're already there and I'd say that's grounds for a full refund on at LEAST the hints they never got to. But like I said that's only IF that's how it went down. Sure would like to hear the outfitters version of it...
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:25 PM

I don't use guides or outfitters. I spend much time scouting, knocking on doors etc. Would probably be cheaper in the end to just pay for the experience.

I consider myself to be pretty good at what I do. Stuff goes wrong constantly. Birds disappear overnight, stuff breaks, some days the barrel of my gun seems bent. It's hunting. If a man wants a 100% sure fire shoot, they should take up tower shooting pheasants or hunting planted birds.

I cannot phathom being an outfitter for a living. Work your arse off and sometimes it just doesnt happen. Then dealing with all the "EXPERT" sports.

As Ramball stated, IF guide cancels he should make it good. Otherwise, shiz happens

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:34 PM

Thats how it went. We were half a mile from the hunting grounds. Told the guide we are not opposed to grab a few duck decoys, layouts and walk there since we knew the birds will be flying after the snow at 9 am anyway. It was only 5:40 am when he got stuck. We had PLENTY of time to proceed to plan b. I would have left the trailer and make two runs to the field. 800 yards is not that far. He was more worried about trying to get his trailer out. They had birds everywhere in a low cieling clowd cover. It would have been a great hunt with a cool story. It just went south real quick. The cancellation of the remainder of all 3 other hunts was bizarre. Like i said, we made phonecalls to 2 other outfitters that day and they had NO problems whatsoever. They were giggling.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:35 PM

The purpose of a deposit is if the client cancels, outfitter gets compensated appropriately, not if guide cancels hunt because he cannot deliver.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Would you comp it if you got your sweet Argo stuck halfway to the blind and didn't take your guys anywhere else that morning? There's a big difference between birds not showing up and your guide not getting you to the hunt. Add in cancelling the remaining hunts when you're already there and I'd say that's grounds for a full refund on at LEAST the hints they never got to. But like I said that's only IF that's how it went down. Sure would like to hear the outfitters version of it...

Happened last weekend on some guys that came from Chorpus Christi. Not only did I stick the argo, but the steering broke and I hit a concrete culvert sending one of the guys over the front of the machine. We were a mile from the truck and two miles from the blind. The other argo took two guys to the blind to finish the hunt. Two guys stated that it is fine and agreed to sit on a levee and watch and take pictures because they did not want to get to blind after LST and ruin for other people. This trip cost me around $800 with parts arriving tomorrow. I offered to give them their money back as I do not require a deposit, especially a year in advance. I'm gonna hunt regardless, so if you show up and don't pay first, you don't go.

These were standup guys though. Told me to keep the money and they understood that it is hunting and it was something out of my control. I'm taking them after some geese in march and they are hunting opening weekend next year free of charge. Hunting ethics and a little understanding goes a long way. The man got stuck, he can't help that. Yes, I would of taken them somewhere else the next day, but maybe he didn't have that option. No one likes taking money like that.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:38 PM

Apparently ole stanfield doesn't mind it?

I'm a little concerned that some of you think this is okay

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

Happened last weekend on some guys that came from Chorpus Christi. Not only did I stick the argo, but the steering broke and I hit a concrete culvert sending one of the guys over the front of the machine. We were a mile from the truck and two miles from the blind. The other argo took two guys to the blind to finish the hunt. Two guys stated that it is fine and agreed to sit on a levee and watch and take pictures because they did not want to get to blind after LST and ruin for other people. This trip cost me around $800 with parts arriving tomorrow. I offered to give them their money back as I do not require a deposit, especially a year in advance. I'm gonna hunt regardless, so if you show up and don't pay first, you don't go.

These were standup guys though. Told me to keep the money and they understood that it is hunting and it was something out of my control. I'm taking them after some geese in march and they are hunting opening weekend next year free of charge. Hunting ethics and a little understanding goes a long way. The man got stuck, he can't help that. Yes, I would of taken them somewhere else the next day, but maybe he didn't have that option. No one likes taking money like that.

He did not have an option? Yes the trailer got stuck till 4:30 pm with all his gear. He was only 100 yards into the bad stuff. All it took was a local farmer with a tractor to pull him out between 6 am and 4:30 pm thats plenty of time. If i were to be the outfitter i would go like: no hunts today, we fokked up, but tomorrow or even this afternoon i ll make it up. We would have been more than ok with it. When we pulled over in town at 7 am to grab some breakfast we talked to 4 local farmers there having coffee at the gasstation offering for help, but thats not my call. Im not the outfitter. You could have hunted saturday all day since it was low cieling, windy, birds everywhere and hungry. But thats ok, im already over it and will not fight for the refund and will certainly not go back there. Third time is a charm. Some of us still had a great hunt sat afternoon and sunday elsewhere anyway.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:01 PM

I'm not saying it is ok if this is exactly how it went down. I was in this exact situation though literally less than 5 days ago. Didn't turn out this negative. A crap day turned into repeat customers, one of which got a little bruised up. We aren't hearing both sides of the story. If the guy was truly a jerk, sure, don't go back.

No reason to be concerned though. I have taken guys that only cared about killing ducks. I put them on the ducks and have turned them down for hunts afterwards. Guys that hunt for the now are the ones that get upset when it doesn't pan out. Guys that truly enjoy seeing birds, listening to a good call, watching a dog work, and laughing with a complete stranger are the ones that make the hunt enjoyable.

It is a horrible feeling not making it to a hunt and to be honest, it is a little embarrassing. My gut tells me that the guy was at a low point and heard complaining. Not a good mixture. Just my opinion.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:04 PM

If the truck was so easy to pull out, why didn't y'all pull him out? confused2
Posted By: BDB

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:05 PM

One side only but if true the outfitter dropped the ball big time. 8 dudes paying that much....your a$$ better be prepared.

That folks is called incompetence.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:09 PM

It was. And the previous duck afternoon hunt was a joke as well.
Posted By: Gengo

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:09 PM

Seems like the guides will always be on the guide's side on this one. I'd say if the guide canceled the rest of your hunts then it is on him to refund the rest of your money minus the 1 hunt (sounds like a sucky hunt, but still went I guess). It is the guide's responsibility to get your to and from your hunting area.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:31 PM

Like i said earlier, this sums up the day we had

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 03:34 PM

if the outfitter blew up your rocket I agree, you should have gotten a refund, or at least he should have paid for the rocket

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:07 PM

If the outfitter canceled the hunt, he owes you money. If the birds didn't show up, slow morning whatever, then thats hunting. YOu paid your money you takes your chances. If they can't get you to the field then they owe you a refund. A refund, not a return trip none of that other bullcrap. Cash back in hand. To keep a man's money under these circumstances (I know all to well there is another story to be heard) is BS.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:10 PM

if the outfitter blew up your rocket I agree, you should have gotten a refund, or at least he should have paid for the rocket

I bet you can remember a similar goose hunt? grin

And the catch and release goose.... rofl rofl rofl

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:19 PM

Pretty much

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg

oh yeah, I'm still mad about my rocket getting blown up on that trip, I should have whooped Matt Hughes arse that trip up

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg

oh yeah, I'm still mad about my rocket getting blown up on that trip, I should have whooped Matt Hughes arse that trip up

Matt was glad that we held you back since he was on the back side of his UFC career. grin
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
If the outfitter canceled the hunt, he owes you money. If the birds didn't show up, slow morning whatever, then thats hunting. YOu paid your money you takes your chances. If they can't get you to the field then they owe you a refund. A refund, not a return trip none of that other bullcrap. Cash back in hand. To keep a man's money under these circumstances (I know all to well there is another story to be heard) is BS.

I absolutely agree! If the story is as told that guide messed up and owes you a full refund. A deposit is to guarantee your spot for the dates you pay for and to cover the guide if the party cancels last minute. It is not for covering the guide if he messes up and cancels the rest of a trip! Offering to reschedule a comped trip at a later date is fine to offer but if the customer prefers a refund then the guide owes them. If he refuses that's complete BS! I think you'd have a case in small claims court! (And I'm not normally one to advocate something like that because I think America has become too lawsuit happy....but that's a whole other topic!)

Whatever happened to customer service?

Like stated if this is truly how it went down its sad to see people, especially other guides, who think it's ok! I'll take notes from this thread because one who posted in this thread was one I was considering trying out next year with a good sized group of fire fighters!
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:39 PM

I do not normally agree with the Beaver on everything but he has been on and around plenty of guided trips to know when a guide is not doing the right thing.

Regardless of how many guides on the THF agree or disagree with this post, it is obvious this guide did not do the right thing here.

Thanks for starting this post so people know what to expect from hiring this outfit or any other on the THF that thinks you were not dealt a fair hand on this hunt.

For the record, you got shafted, plenty of ducks in that area and the weather did not keep others from killing them.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:40 PM

I agree. Most guides are fully booked anyway since the huge influx of people moving to Texas.
On the long run though, attitudes like that will hurt them. I dont care, i just dont want to be them. And im not.
And remember, 8 guys were dissapointed, not just me. Some were their first trip and others hunted for 40 plus years. I kept communication with the guide and hunters since june of 2015 on a regular basis, and now I look like an idiot and lost credibility...no more. Done!
There is a morality to this story, it makes other guides look good.
I have been hunting with run-n-gun, blake, muddy waters and some other outfitters on this forum and never had a bad hunt. Yeah, some days birds were slow, but it got washed away by their passion, jokes, good food and other stuff that completes a hunt. Birds were just a bonus these days. But when you are 800 yards away to 3000 geese and the same amount of ducks ( the outfitter claimed 30,000 geese and 10,000 ducks the day before, but I know better...) with ideal hunting conditions, its game on! I guarantee you that the 3 guides just named would still have hunted. I could already hear their voices and their cell phones speed dialing: F this trailer, lets walk, lets go! Lets kill some birds!

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:41 PM

pancake

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:47 PM

What does pancake mean garrett?

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:56 PM

took you long enough to ask, its not even funny now hammer

stories are just like pancakes, they always have 3 sides clap

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 06:59 PM

and for the record, if the events are as said you got the chingalay in a big way
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:00 PM

Alls I know is this is doing Stanfield no good for advertising. Doesn't really matter what the two sides, if there are two sides to this one, customer was cancelled on two days hunts. Refund the money. The bad word of mouth this stuff creates will lose the outfitter more money in the long run guaranteed....

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:09 PM

Ah, ok, forget the waffle order mam, i ll have the pancakes filled with 'deez nuts' and a 'shut up juice' to go along with it. My bat.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: GravyWheels
Alls I know is this is doing Stanfield no good for advertising. Doesn't really matter what the two sides, if there are two sides to this one, customer was cancelled on two days hunts. Refund the money. The bad word of mouth this stuff creates will lose the outfitter more money in the long run guaranteed....

there are all sorts of variables that could come into play on this deal...maybe the outfitter is just a jerk and said screw it, maybe the hunters were huge pests and he just didn't wanna deal with him, which still doesn't justify keeping the money, but who knows how someone thinks? Maybe he is a greedy old coot that just cares about the paycheck?

Like i said, I agree that if the facts are all there they got screwed, but since I dont know the beaver personally or anyone in his crew I would like to wait until I pass judgement.

Caveat Emptor when dealing with outfitters, I would say the good ones only make up 10%

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:12 PM

Ah, ok, forget the waffle order mam, i ll have the pancakes filled with 'deez nuts' and a 'shut up juice' to go along with it. My bat.

pretty sure the filling you requested is against health codes in this area

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:13 PM

The guide called the outfitter at 6:00 am to tell him he was stuck. No answer, he was still asleep.
I giggled.
Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:29 PM

We control the controllables to the best of our ability and most of the time everything else falls into place. Sometimes Mother Nature doesn't agree with us, but way more times then not everything works out for the best when you give it every opportunity to do so. Luck doesn't just happen, it's when hard work, preparation and opportunity all meet. The more of these you do the more luck you're going to have, PERIOD!

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 07:34 PM

Plus daniel worked hard since april prepping his fields.
Very impressed with his operation. And im sure im not the only one. Even el super nino screwed a bunch of texas, he still managed to do well. Our september teal/fish combo was very good, and we will book back this year.
Posted By: Guitars&Guns

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 09:03 PM

Was $325/hunter the deposit or the full price?

If $325/hunter is the full price, then its my opinion that you messed up for prepaying the entire hunt. I never prepay for any service in full, as you have little leverage should something go wrong. Lesson learned.

If however the $325 was truly a deposit and the remainder was charged to a credit card, you can always dispute the charge with your credit card company for lack of services. The problem you'll likely run into, however, is that the guide offered to make it right by rolling your funds over to next season.

You are likely out of luck

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 09:25 PM

He might be out of luck so far as funds coming back to him. He can always go out there and tell his story. Let the chips fall down wherever they may.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:02 PM

If this story is 100% true, I'd be pretty upset.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster
If this story is 100% true, I'd be pretty upset.

Are you kidding me, no story is ever 100% true. grin

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:25 PM

$325 was the deposit per person
The full price was prolly $250 times 5 hunts times 8 people
Daamn, thats a lot of cash...

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:30 PM

I bet he took that $10k and invested it into the stock market

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:31 PM

i have been guiding myself for 10 yrs in holland and belgium, 1 yr in Oregon and 1 yr only in Texas.

And i would never have put my hunters in that kind of a situation.

I know it sounds dramatic, but it is what it is.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:33 PM

I bet he took that $10k and invested it into the stock market

No, he only took $ 325 x 8

He said he had to pay the farmer on our sat mud no hunt morning

Bullcrap! I know better!

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 10:40 PM

I bet he took that $2.6k and invested it into the stock market

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 11:10 PM

$2.6 thousand is not enough to invest in the stock market unles you are 2 months old.
Posted By: JRR

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 11:38 PM

I know of 2 groups this year that were told they would have their own group and own field.......grouped together and neither one happy and will never return. Amazing odds that I knew both groups. One group was told "I don't care what you were told, I make the decisions here".......said it sounded more like a calling contest than a goose hunt, if I remember correctly it was 11 or 13 hunters and killed 23 geese. Funny about the food sucking, they said the exact same thing, I think it was chicken spaghetti or something like that. My buddy called out the guide to walk back behind the layouts and discuss it when he started cussing, my buddy wasn't going to discuss anything......
Posted By: JRR

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 11:40 PM

both groups were firemen so they didn't lose 11 or so future hunters but hundreds, bad news travels very fast in those circles
Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/20/16 11:54 PM

Plus daniel worked hard since april prepping his fields.
Very impressed with his operation. And im sure im not the only one. Even el super nino screwed a bunch of texas, he still managed to do well. Our september teal/fish combo was very good, and we will book back this year.

We're looking forward to having y'all back!

That's the part most people don't understand is that prep work starts in the spring. Hell we are already game planning work and what we'd do different and this season isn't even over yet. We'll start meeting with our landowners in Feb to discuss what they will or won't let us do in the "offseason" to prepare property for next season.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 12:06 AM

True Story

Last hunt with the Stanfields. we pulled in the evening before our hunt, all excited. We asked "what's for dinner"? He said Hamburger Stew ( which was more like soup). Then the he said " shoulda been here last night, we had ribeyes" really???

in my opinion. there are TOO MANY "guides and outfitters" a bunch of really lousy ones who lease bad land with no game and gladly take hunters money and just say, "sorry, guess they weren't flying, biting, out, today...you shoulda been here last weekend we killed them."
There are also many really GOOD guides who do their homework. Lease great spots. These bad guides give the good ones bad names.

Also you get what you pay for.

and I will admit nothing is 100% guaranteed,

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 12:07 AM

Also, it IS ON the client to do his homework when looking for a guided trip, ask for and call references. If the guide gives no references haul buns!!!

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Yardboy
As a precursor I will say that beaverswipe is a bumbling moron on this forum and I don't feel sorry for him. However, Stanfields is a halfass outfit resting on his laurels from the 90's. He doesn't really care how you do and the food sucks. If you want to kill birds in Knox, call Justin at Ranger Creek.

And here comes the greenhorn cavalry in full force.

He's on your side on this guide deal confused2
Posted By: BlackJack1

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 01:17 AM

So how can those guys stay in business for 20+ years and suck so bad? Sounds like you guys might have gotten culled. Not all business is good business and the customer can get fired!

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 01:41 AM

Tank turd with a solid point, kinda goes back to the pancake
Posted By: BDB

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 01:42 AM

Yo Beaver is it safe to say you ain't booking with 'stinchfields' anymore? lol I couldn't resist.

Anybody ever notice there always a "front" that moves in a day or few before sept 1st? "boy we were covered up before this rain/front moved them out" How can there be that many local doves hoarding outfitters field across tx? Then poof....they all in Mexico I guess.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 01:44 AM

I've had a couple of hunts so good I thought it was yesterday
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 12:05 PM

Well said sir. Beaver has hunted all over the country and been on enough guided hunts to know when a outfitter failed to do his part. Im siding with Beaver on this one.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 01:34 PM

As a precursor I will say that beaverswipe is a bumbling moron on this forum and I don't feel sorry for him. However, Stanfields is a halfass outfit resting on his laurels from the 90's. He doesn't really care how you do and the food sucks. If you want to kill birds in Knox, call Justin at Ranger Creek.

That aint right calling a man a moron. You might disagree with how he is but that doesn't give your the right to treat the man so disrespectfully.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BlackJack1
So how can those guys stay in business for 20+ years and suck so bad? Sounds like you guys might have gotten culled. Not all business is good business and the customer can get fired!

loco
Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 04:19 PM

That aint right calling a man a moron. You might disagree with how he is but that doesn't give your the right to treat the man so disrespectfully.

Right on! Whatever happened to the brotherhood of Waterfowlers?!

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller

It aint my fight but the forum has dropped attendance over the last couple of years. I think it is headed for the same fate as the other forum that crashed exploded melted and burned. It was a core group of people that started off as being funny but they went way too far. They got to the point where others couldn't even join in conversation. Lets face it. The forum sustains itself by advertisement. We are allowed to enjoy the forum for free as long as we follow the guidelines. When sponsors get the red hinder because the core group of people are just nasty to the others. The sponsors inevitably they start making demands for the money they paid. It is real simple, don't be rude to people. If your going to act like a jack arse I would just rather not read it. Send whoever you have a beef with a PM.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 06:15 PM

Wal is right, we are all on the same team here up

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 06:41 PM

What Wayne says. Ribbing someone is one thing, being a bumbling jerk is another.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
What Wayne says. Ribbing someone is one thing, being a bumbling jerk is another.

if your a bumbling jerk you have to at least have some good quality to make up for it, like being a good gumbo maker or something like that

yardbird, since you started this how are your gumbo skills?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:38 PM

I like to walk that line grin

You know like the line in your drawers after your nite before duck hunting dinner rofl

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

I like to walk that line grin

You know like the line in your drawers after your nite before duck hunting dinner rofl

Wow Wow! What? eek2 clap
Posted By: Judd

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:44 PM

Was that over the line Gdogg? confused2

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Was that over the line Gdogg? confused2

Nope. Not one bumbling idiot or jerk comment. You're good. up
Posted By: Cast

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:47 PM

Bunker in 10...9...8

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:49 PM

if cast is going to start posting on this thread then I am out
Posted By: Cast

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:51 PM

Sorry man. I'm gone.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 07:52 PM

ok I'm back in

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 08:29 PM

It aint my fight but the forum has dropped attendance over the last couple of years. I think it is headed for the same fate as the other forum that crashed exploded melted and burned. It was a core group of people that started off as being funny but they went way too far. They got to the point where others couldn't even join in conversation. Lets face it. The forum sustains itself by advertisement. We are allowed to enjoy the forum for free as long as we follow the guidelines. When sponsors get the red hinder because the core group of people are just nasty to the others. The sponsors inevitably they start making demands for the money they paid. It is real simple, don't be rude to people. If your going to act like a jack arse I would just rather not read it. Send whoever you have a beef with a PM.

Attendance has fallen off because of social media like Facebook. The younger guys are all over it. I ask my clients how they found me and its either Facebook or google. You add onto that a terrible duck season the posting of kill pics drop off and then the older guys that just don't post pictures of their hunts ( you included Wall) and there just isn't much traffic
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 08:34 PM

^^^^ This.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 08:42 PM

Attendance has fallen off because of social media like Facebook. The younger guys are all over it. I ask my clients how they found me and its either Facebook or google. You add onto that a terrible duck season the posting of kill pics drop off and then the older guys that just don't post pictures of their hunts ( you included Wall) and there just isn't much traffic

I think you're right about social media. Another thing on pictures: since photos taken with smart phones can contain data that gives location away, many people, including me, are hesitant to post pictures.

As for the original topic, does Stanfield post here? Does anyone know if we are ever going to get the outfitter's story?
Posted By: Yardboy

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 10:25 PM

if your a bumbling jerk you have to at least have some good quality to make up for it, like being a good gumbo maker or something like that

I believe it might have been posted on here before, it's pretty much the industry standard. It tastes much better with non-trash ducks, so you might be s.o.l...
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 11:23 PM

[quote=Yardboy]As a precursor I will say that beaverswipe is a bumbling moron on this forum and I don't feel sorry for him. However, Stanfields is a halfass outfit resting on his laurels from the 90's. He doesn't really care how you do and the food sucks. If you want to kill birds in Knox, call Justin at Ranger Creek.

Attendance has fallen off because of social media like Facebook. The younger guys are all over it. I ask my clients how they found me and its either Facebook or google. You add onto that a terrible duck season the posting of kill pics drop off and then the older guys that just don't post pictures of their hunts ( you included Wall) and there just isn't much traffic [/quote
You and Wal nailed it.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/21/16 11:59 PM

I hate face book. I used to have a bunch of you guys as friends on there, I deleted all of you, as well as many others, made it private, pretty much all family and child hood friends now.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 12:06 AM

social media is killing good old "talking"

not a fan

but i'm old and in the minority, the mellinials , all they do is text and tweet and gram. most will be broke soon, hard to make a living tweeeting

I like to talk to people face to face, its harder to call someone a "moron" to their face than it is here

I too have noticed this forum going downhill, thought about starting a thread to find out why

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 12:19 AM

Twitter is having all kinds of troubles. 'Bout time.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 01:11 AM

I believe it might have been posted on here before, it's pretty much the industry standard. It tastes much better with non-trash ducks, so you might be s.o.l...

That a boy up

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 10:52 AM

I would agree but to a much lesser degree. I see a lot of people from this forum through dog training. Of the people with whom I have talked to about the forum, the general consensus is they don't visit the mig section because they don't like how the conversations seem to always and up.

If Facebook and the other social media is to blame how can we explain other sites that have never missed a beat, actually get larger by the day.

I don't think it is appropriate to mention names of other sites but two come to mind right off hand. One allowed the conversation to run wild and it crashed so hard I don't see them ever getting it back. The other puts up with zero. If one gets out of line, they won't even discuss it. He gets the boot.

Bar discussing new young hunters that like Facebook. Look at all the people that left the mig section over the last decade. There is a very small core group that still remains. So if we lose old heads because they don't like the BS and new guys to facebook, ask yourself what that will continue to do to the mig section. It isn't a hard bridge to see.

When people continue to get on here and just simply act like an arse, it will only force the owner into a corner. The more we attack each other the worse it will be. I compare it to us burning the ship because there are a few rats on board. It just doesn't make sense.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 12:13 PM

I would agree but to a much lesser degree. I see a lot of people from this forum through dog training. Of the people with whom I have talked to about the forum, the general consensus is they don't visit the mig section because they don't like how the conversations seem to always and up.

If Facebook and the other social media is to blame how can we explain other sites that have never missed a beat, actually get larger by the day.

I don't think it is appropriate to mention names of other sites but two come to mind right off hand. One allowed the conversation to run wild and it crashed so hard I don't see them ever getting it back. The other puts up with zero. If one gets out of line, they won't even discuss it. He gets the boot.

Bar discussing new young hunters that like Facebook. Look at all the people that left the mig section over the last decade. There is a very small core group that still remains. So if we lose old heads because they don't like the BS and new guys to facebook, ask yourself what that will continue to do to the mig section. It isn't a hard bridge to see.

When people continue to get on here and just simply act like an arse, it will only force the owner into a corner. The more we attack each other the worse it will be. I compare it to us burning the ship because there are a few rats on board. It just doesn't make sense.

Wal, you are 100% correct.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 12:46 PM

I move that we disband the silver creek Mafia in the interest of the forum's integrity

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 12:52 PM

I move that we disband the silver creek Mafia in the interest of the forum's integrity

I know nothing of the clique of which you speak. But, I'm not in here that often. Just like to occasionally book a duck hunt and look in here to learn a thing or two. If the old guys that actually know something and are willing to teach leave, then it's worthless; becomes a bunch of hunters acting like golfers. bolt

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 12:58 PM

I agree completely Wayne. It ain't other social media sites, that's BS. It's not complicated.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 01:10 PM

Lol, I don't see it happening. They will probably get their own avatar soon.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Stanfield Outfitters - 01/22/16 01:51 PM

I agree completely Wayne. It ain't other social media sites, that's BS. It's not complicated.

Yep
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum