Texas Hunting Forum

Blue-wings in January

Posted By: BradyBuck

Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 05:17 PM

Hunted a place this morning for the first time since last season. It hasn't had more than a dozen or so birds on it all season. I started to see some decent numbers on it this last week.

Limited in 20-30 minutes. We could have had an easy 3-4 man limit if I was allowed to bring anyone. This is a little honey hole but for now the landowner is only letting me hunt solo.

Couldn't believe it when 10 or so BWT decoyed about 10 yards in front of me. It's been a weird season. Have if you guys seen BWT in January in NW Texas?

I spoke to one guy who has been waterfowl hunting this area for 20-30 years and has never shot a BW later than November.

It was a great hunt. It's a lot if fun to hunt solo every now and then.

3 Grey, 1 Redhead, 2 BWT

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 07:05 PM

Great pictures and sounds like a good hunt. Been a weird year for sure. I haven't shot any, but I've heard the same thing about BWT.
Posted By: REQ

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 09:28 PM

Are you sure those aren't cinny hens? I've killed 11 cinny's this year, all during big duck.

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 09:38 PM

Well heck I dunno? I've never shot a cinny hen. I googled them and it's hard to tell. One if them looks like he's started to get the white stripe on his face like a BWT
Anyone know?
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Well heck I dunno? I've never shot a cinny hen. I googled them and it's hard to tell. One if them looks like he's started to get the white stripe on his face like a BWT
Anyone know?

I think he's pulling your leg. Blue wing and cinny hens are pretty much indistinguishable.
Posted By: REQ

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 10:44 PM

They can be very different to tell apart. The easiest way is to shoot the drake they come in with wink the cinnamon bill tends to be a little bit broader where the blue wing bill stays narrow all the way down. The blue wing hen will also get a faint line that goes back across the eye. It's a tough ID. Maybe someone else has some other tips.
Posted By: clydeg

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/02/16 11:00 PM

I shot a blue-wing myself earlier this week near Paris. First time I've ever seen one in this area during big duck season.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/03/16 12:08 AM

I was hunting in what i would call the panhandle once. In the teens shot a beautiful blue wing. I was shocked. Should have mounted that bird.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/03/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: REQ
They can be very different to tell apart. The easiest way is to shoot the drake they come in with wink the cinnamon bill tends to be a little bit broader where the blue wing bill stays narrow all the way down. The blue wing hen will also get a faint line that goes back across the eye. It's a tough ID. Maybe someone else has some other tips.

I also think cinnamon teal hens have a speckled bill while a blue wing hen has an all black bill
Posted By: john paul

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/03/16 01:10 AM

http://aliveagainrecreations.com/Waterfowl/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=15

I guess solid gray, not black for blue wing hen

Re: Blue-wings in January - 01/03/16 01:53 AM

I believe my first assessment was correct and these are BWT. One hen and one drake. The drake had noticebly brighter orange feet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum