Texas Hunting Forum

Craig Strickland

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 01:08 PM

Just reported on Fox and Friends.

Here is background on the story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/back...er-duck-n487161

I personally had never heard of him or his music but a good reminder to make sound choices.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 01:27 PM

That water will get you no matter who you are. Been in a couple really bad scrapes on the water and hopefully never again. A prayer for the man's family.

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 03:30 PM

Agree. His last Tweet turned out to be terrible foreshadowing.

I spent the weekend in Northwest Arkansas and drove through eastern Oklahoma yesterday on my way home. Every river was a disaster and what were fields last week when I drove through, before the rain, were under several feet of water. In some cases it looked to be four feet or more of standing water in flooded fields. I can't imagine being in a boat on one of those rivers or lakes, especially in the dark.
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 09:05 PM

That link doesn't say they found Strickland?
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Just reported on Fox and Friends.

Here is background on the story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/back...er-duck-n487161

I personally had never heard of him or his music but a good reminder to make sound choices.

I won't even put out dekes solo without life jacket. Life too short- tragic for young men and families- Prayers w them

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 11:16 PM

I got caught in a riptide, trapped under a concrete bulkhead and pummeled by waves for 45 minutes. It was a brutal arse whoopin that sent me to the hospital. Had I been alone death would have been certain. I was down there long enough I had already decided "this was it", "this is where I am to die". It was actdually peaceful not heightened with fright. About that time an extension ladder whacked me on the head and saved me.

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/29/15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I got caught in a riptide, trapped under a concrete bulkhead and pummeled by waves for 45 minutes. It was a brutal arse whoopin that sent me to the hospital. Had I been alone death would have been certain. I was down there long enough I had already decided "this was it", "this is where I am to die". It was actdually peaceful not heightened with fright. About that time an extension ladder whacked me on the head and saved me.

Jesus. The thought paralyzed me. Fishing?

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/30/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
That link doesn't say they found Strickland?

The link was to provide background on the situation. I heard that Strickland was found on Fox and Friends. As was noted in the OT thread on this topic, it appears the report I heard this morning was incorrect and they have not found Strickland's body, only his friend's body.

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/30/15 12:22 AM

Yes I had worked my night shift and me and a buddy drive to Freeport. We bought croakers and headed north on the beach. We got to the car bodies south of San Luis pass. I made it to the 2nd sandbar, he was too short, thank God. He stayed on the beach fishing the first guy. We both hooked up when all went to hell. A riptide fired up as a big wave knocked me into the guy. It was over. I was in the first guy unable to do anything. Once it got me to the bulkhead I was in a death trap. The waves rolled me up and down the granite rocks and then smacked me into the bulkhead. I was so worn out I accepted the fact I was about to drown. I was beat so bad I lost my shirt, watch, shoes, life jacket ect. Everything but my torn to shreds pants were gone. It was a life changing event.

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/30/15 03:35 AM

Man have fished the pass before. Thank God u had someone w you. Rip tides worst during sustain times of the year- or is it a moon phase occurance?

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/30/15 11:35 AM

If you follow the South beach of the pass, offshore not in the direction of the bay, about 3\4s to a mile is a house on a bulkhead. The Freeport beach ends at that house because of the bulkhead. That's where it happened, below that bulkhead. In calm waters it looks peaceful. When a rupture starts it stands the waves up to 5 and 6 footers. It was as brutal as throwing a cat in a dryer for 45 minutes.

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/30/15 04:03 PM

Geez
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Craig Strickland - 12/30/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
It was as brutal as throwing a cat in a dryer for 45 minutes.

This line reminds me of paddling the Washing Machine of the Cossatot river in Arkansas. The picture below isn't me, but it gives you a good idea. That river trashed me in high school when I had no business being on it, but it's way different when you've got guys standing around with ropes ready to save you.

(Photo Credit)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum