Texas Hunting Forum

Will dove still be as active after a cold front?

Posted By: Hilltop0111

Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/29/15 06:56 AM

Never hunted much on 2nd season but going to try to get some hunts in this year. What is everyone's experience with 2nd season hunts in the winter?
Posted By: Levelland

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/29/15 12:08 PM

We had some really good hunts this time last year in Rosenberg/East Bernard area- mainly in the afternoon. Seem to be a good number of birds around this year too. Hoping to get out this week. Good luck.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/29/15 05:10 PM

I had 200-300 scratching around in the snow in my fields yesterday. Saw the same big groups this morning now that the snow melted. Part of that field is flooded and had over 80 Ducks in the flooded water. Lots of all kinds of birds flying around this morning.
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/29/15 05:17 PM

Always killed limits in second season after duck hunting. On really cold/windy days, we would walk through mesquite patches as they would tend to be on the ground. Jump them up, sit down, and wait for the them to circle back and so on. Just how I do it, but again, seems to be a lot of them around as everyone is saying.
Posted By: Hilltop0111

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/29/15 08:18 PM

Ok. Thanks folks. I only had one mojo so going to buy another one and some clip on dove decoys. I seen some this morning but not enough to wake the neighbors. Going to give it a serious go this evening.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/31/15 12:43 AM

I saw thousands today up north hitting a milo field really hard, even after that storm
Posted By: Canvasback

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/31/15 03:26 AM

Limited twice so far.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/31/15 04:58 AM

This last rain seems to have pushed all of our birds out. It's been slow. Haven't seen this few of birds ever.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/31/15 05:16 AM

Friday and Saturday was nuts. I'm down in Jourdanton and just pass shooting em as they fly over the field my shop sits in. Saw thousands of birds. Sunday, maybe saw 200 and got 3. Didn't go Monday or Tuesday, but this morning while I was working they were EVERYWHERE! Thought they mighta left but I guess they were just hunkering down for the storm
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/31/15 05:29 PM

See alot midday
Posted By: garrett

Re: Will dove still be as active after a cold front? - 12/31/15 05:44 PM

yes
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum