Texas Hunting Forum

Duck boat question

Posted By: Quackshack80

Duck boat question - 12/24/15 08:58 PM

Guys I got a 77 evinrude that runs..somewhat. I got a carb kit, new fuel pump kit and all new gas lines it will run if you squeeze the bulb. Any idea what could make it not run when you don't keep squeezing the bulb
Posted By: clydeg

Re: Duck boat question - 12/24/15 10:41 PM

I'd suspect its the fuel pump. Did you already replace it and the lines?
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Duck boat question - 12/24/15 11:36 PM

I'd get rid of or replace the bulb first.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Duck boat question - 12/25/15 05:45 PM

Leak in the fuel line would be my first guess. 2nd, fuel pump.
Posted By: Cooter II

Re: Duck boat question - 12/25/15 08:09 PM

Anywhere there is a seal. Some years ago my gas cap rubber was bad, liked to never had found it.
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Duck boat question - 12/26/15 01:07 AM

Gas line and bulb I would replace also
Posted By: pervis

Re: Duck boat question - 12/26/15 03:15 AM

Ok few things to check. Like stated above check or replace the bulb. Then replace the two fuel clips ie the ones from the line to the tank and the one from the line to the motor. I'm almost certain those are your problem. I had the same issue. Those clips are in the marine section at Walmart for around 5$ each. Then make sure your gas tank is vented when u are running. And other than that. Post up and il try to suggest more.

Re: Duck boat question - 12/26/15 07:19 PM

The bulb is brand new, I replaced everything in the summer and it ran great for trot lines but here comes duck season thinking it was in great working order. Get out and hunt a few times boat runs but you have to squeeze the bulb, I had replaced all the gaskets in the fuel pump and a new filter. New gas lines all the way thru and new gaskets and all new parts on the carb. But recently saw I was fouling the plugs. Today I'm replacing the plugs due to me breaking one and gonna put brand new gas and oil mix in it. Maybe water in the gas or too rich? I'm just trying to get it back and running so I don't use my bass boat...thanks again for all the help.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Duck boat question - 12/26/15 10:23 PM

If you are fouling the plugs it is too rich.

Did you replace the pump itself?
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Duck boat question - 12/27/15 04:10 AM

Is the tank vent open? When you did the carb did you replace the float?

Re: Duck boat question - 12/28/15 10:07 PM

Got her up and running, replaced plugs and a new tank of gas, guess I mixed two oils together or too much oil or even a bad batch of gas. Thanks for all the help you guys!!
You guys respond better than the TFF member, I appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum