Texas Hunting Forum

first report from Kansas

Posted By: Erichugh22

first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 03:31 AM

We spent 3 full days chasing pheasants with almost no luck. We packed up the truck and headed east. We arrived in North central Kansas yesterday morning. We did a little scouting and tried a mid day hunt hoping to catch birds coming off of the nearby corn fields. We saw lots, tens of thousands, we were just in the wrong place. Still finished the afternoon with a few mallards and a goose though. This morning was a bust. The birds skipped the water and went right to the fields. Packed up around 10 or so to drive around and check out the massive waterfowl refuge. More birds than I could even begin to describe. Thousands upon thousands of ducks and geese. Clouds of birds that literally with block the sun. It's unbelievable. We found a walk in point way in the back of the refuge. As we started walking in we could see mallards pouring into a flooded field on the edge of the wetlands. We made our way over there and set up a few decoys and crawled into the cat tails. In less than an hour we had 12 mallards and 2 gwt. We packed it up and just sat back to watch the birds stack back in there. Today definitely goes in the books as one of my most memorable hunts ever. I still have 3 more days up here until I head home. More updates and pictures to come.

Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 03:39 AM

Cheyenne Bottoms is my guess
Posted By: wal1809

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 12:26 PM

Nice stack of birds!
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 12:46 PM

Nice. Love the pics
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 12:49 PM

Nice pics and great report
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
We spent 3 full days chasing pheasants with almost no luck. We packed up the truck and headed east. We arrived in North central Kansas yesterday morning. We did a little scouting and tried a mid day hunt hoping to catch birds coming off of the nearby corn fields. We saw lots, tens of thousands, we were just in the wrong place. Still finished the afternoon with a few mallards and a goose though. This morning was a bust. The birds skipped the water and went right to the fields. Packed up around 10 or so to drive around and check out the massive waterfowl refuge. More birds than I could even begin to describe. Thousands upon thousands of ducks and geese. Clouds of birds that literally with block the sun. It's unbelievable. We found a walk in point way in the back of the refuge. As we started walking in we could see mallards pouring into a flooded field on the edge of the wetlands. We made our way over there and set up a few decoys and crawled into the cat tails. In less than an hour we had 12 mallards and 2 gwt. We packed it up and just sat back to watch the birds stack back in there. Today definitely goes in the books as one of my most memorable hunts ever. I still have 3 more days up here until I head home. More updates and pictures to come.

that needs to be framed & hung on a wall
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TrackQuack
Cheyenne Bottoms is my guess
+1
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 09:22 PM

Thanks everyone. We stacked up a 15 green head limit this morning. I'll post up some pics in a little while. This place is awesome.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/24/15 10:51 PM

Great stuff
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/25/15 12:01 AM

Saweet!
Posted By: dove_buster

Re: first report from Kansas - 12/27/15 05:01 AM

Great pics. What refuge are you hunting?
Posted By: ntxaviator

Re: first report from Kansas - 01/05/16 06:30 PM

awesome pics!
Posted By: Matpk

Re: first report from Kansas - 01/05/16 06:36 PM

laugh laugh laugh

Excellent pictures,great hunts and.... food
Posted By: LandAgent

Re: first report from Kansas - 01/09/16 06:59 AM

Let me know if you need an extra gun on the next trip roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum