Texas Hunting Forum

Walked up on a wounded duck

Posted By: bull279

Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 07:30 PM

Went deer hunting this morning (saw alot of white fluffy tails heading the other way). So I figured that I would walk down and check out where the trail went. I walked down about a 1/4 mile and found my uncle's other blind. Walking back, I saw a nested duck just off the trail. It never moved. I stepped a bit closed and it still never moved. I figured that it was hurt and just hoping I would pass it by. I finally got close enough to see it more clearly.

Turns out it was a G&H decoy that had evidently floated away during one of the last few floods. It was probably 1/4 mile away from the creek.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 07:32 PM

G&H Gadwall. Nice find. up
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 07:43 PM

You should put it back where you found it. This is their breeding season.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 08:07 PM

Plastic birds don't taste very good. They are fun to shoot when they're not yours though.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 08:26 PM

If you don't have a duck stamp you should not have picked it up.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

rofl
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 10:11 PM

elmer
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 11:13 PM

I was hunting pheasant on a preserve and shot a bird that fell into marshy area of high grass. I sent my springer in and she brought back a mallard. I sent her back in and she brought back my bird. There I am hunting with lead shot and a duck in hand. I talked to the owner who figured it had to have gone at least half mile from a local duck pond that had had some shooting on it that morning. I cleaned the duck it had one piece of about #4 steel shot in the breast. That was 20+ years ago. I've always wondered how I would have explained it to a game warden.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/23/15 11:37 PM

Wonder if someone crossed your property to hunt the creek and dropped a decoy?

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 02:14 AM

It's ok, they already hatched and flew away

Originally Posted By: Judd
Wonder if someone crossed your property to hunt the creek and dropped a decoy?

I doubt it, it's a fight to get back to the creek in that part of the property, more than likely someone upstream was duck hunting and lost/left the decoy and it got swept away in one of the floods, it just settled where I found it and the water receded.

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Plastic birds don't taste very good. They are fun to shoot when they're not yours though.

I hear they are like Longhorn steaks, boil them with a horseshoe ans when the horseshoe is tender, throw the steak away and eat the horseshoe.

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
If you don't have a duck stamp you should not have picked it up.

I wonder if you gotta have a special stamp for that type of waterfowl.

Originally Posted By: nsmike
I was hunting pheasant on a preserve and shot a bird that fell into marshy area of high grass. I sent my springer in and she brought back a mallard. I sent her back in and she brought back my bird. There I am hunting with lead shot and a duck in hand. I talked to the owner who figured it had to have gone at least half mile from a local duck pond that had had some shooting on it that morning. I cleaned the duck it had one piece of about #4 steel shot in the breast. That was 20+ years ago. I've always wondered how I would have explained it to a game warden.

That would be a good one to see but, bad one to live through. I believe the proper way to start that conversation is, "Sir, you are never gonna believe this..."
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 03:16 AM

lol

I could tell it was a decoy from the first pic. I have started a nice collection of decoys I have found.
Posted By: Mud

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 03:56 AM

They bite when cornered.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 04:39 AM

Good one!
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 02:35 PM

LOL, I think you just wrote G&H's next commercial.
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 04:58 PM

I like g&h made in America flag .i thought it was real from the pics up

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/24/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Central texas
I like g&h made in America flag .i thought it was real from the pics up

It looked real until I got right up on it. The tip of the bill had been worn/chewed off but other than that it was in good shape. I am going to fix the nose and put it with my other dekes.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Walked up on a wounded duck - 12/25/15 05:12 PM

That duck dont look good

Imwould have ran to the closest vet with it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum