Texas Hunting Forum

TIPS on Redhead hunting in Rockport, Port Aransas area

Posted By: duck enticer

TIPS on Redhead hunting in Rockport, Port Aransas area - 12/17/15 02:16 PM

I am new to the forum. I like how this forum has lots of activity. I love my ducks and geese and can talk them all day long. I look forward to conversing with some of my fellow hunters....Back to the topic at hand.

We are looking at staying in Rockport around Mid January to hunt Redheads. A friend of mine did real well last year. Said he basically hunted the islands with lots o' decoys. They killled all the redheads they wanted, but no pintail or wigeon. Is there a certain area where we might kill more puddle ducks than divers or at least closer to a 50/50 mix?

I guess I am just checking to see if any of you do this and what your recommendations might be for the hunt. Where to stay/not stay. What general areas are better to hunt. Back in the marsh or on the open bay?

We will be running my tunnel hull boat but we won't be attempting to get into super shallow water. Right now the plan is to Bring lots of decoys and hide the boat with burlap or park it down the beach from where we hunt.

Any and all tips are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: wal1809

Re: TIPS on Redhead hunting in Rockport, Port Aransas area - 12/17/15 03:30 PM

Sent you a pm
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: TIPS on Redhead hunting in Rockport, Port Aransas area - 12/17/15 05:20 PM

You will get your red heads, predominant duck there.
Not a bad spot down there and you will be fine boat wise, just say out of Estes flats if you don't know the channels.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: TIPS on Redhead hunting in Rockport, Port Aransas area - 12/18/15 02:45 PM

Most guys will guard their pintail spots to the death, for the reasons you stated. Anyone can shoot a limit of reds down there. Pintails, well, they just take more scouting. In my experience, they typically like to loaf in areas that have a sandy shoreline. Also, if you have a dozen other guys setting up around you, odds are the pins are gonna be elsewhere. As far as wigeon and other puddle ducks, I'm still trying to figure them out. Good luck to ya!
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: TIPS on Redhead hunting in Rockport, Port Aransas area - 12/18/15 08:54 PM

Well there called "puddle ducks" for a reason, not too many "puddles" in the salt bays if you know what I mean, wigeons like the grass flats but you gotta find the right grass, Find their drinking hole or set up a close as you can to it If your gonna hunt the salt water
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum