Texas Hunting Forum

Idas.

Posted By: brazosboyt

Idas. - 12/13/15 12:40 AM

Met up with a group of guys from all over the country for some east coast sea ducking last week. This isn't third time to hunt with Reilly Mccue of rpm outdoors. He's just an absolute pleasure to be around and works his butt off to put you on birds. Due to the lack of cold weather, we saw about 1/100th of what we've seen on previous trips but still got what we were after.

Set up the first day and took turns shooting outta the layout and off the beach.

Didn't take long to knock out limits of big eiders with the 410s.

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 12:43 AM

We hunted for three days and it was pushing high 60s every day. The birds were really scarrce but Reilly tried several sets each day to make sure we got what we were after.

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 12:45 AM

such cool birds and experiences.

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Brazosboyt;363363
And the seafood up in the Boston /NH area does not suck.

If your looking to try something different, give Reilly Mccue at rpm outdoors a call. Great accommodating guide and he gets it done.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 12:53 AM

Nice trip! It's a tossup for me whether the hen or the drake is the prettiest waterfowl we can shoot.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 12:56 AM

Very Cool! up

Maybe one day....
Posted By: FeetDown

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 12:56 AM

Brazos, that looks amazing! Bet it was cool shooting from the beach and the layout boat.

I live in Boston now and have heard good things about Reilly. Photos look like the north shore - Plum Island area? I surfcast for stripers up that way, and got my first black duck last season in the salt marshes.

I recall you are a fan of sea ducking the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I'm headed there around New Year's to visit my folks, and will be gunning out of the layout boat if plans work out. Hopefully we get some arctic air by then.

Way to nail the pronunciation of eiders wink

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Nice trip! It's a tossup for me whether the hen or the drake is the prettiest waterfowl we can shoot.

I think the hen eiders are really one of the prettiest and underrated birds. We really took our time and picked out big mature hens. They just look red on the wing. The younger hens look black.

Posted By: Canvasback

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 01:38 AM

cheers
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 01:57 AM

Outstanding. Great pics

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 08:32 PM

I'm a big believer in giving praise and support to those that earn it.

If you are looking for a great experience on a sea duck hunt where you can get eiders, all 3 scoters, old squaw, black duck, and others, give Reilly McCue a call at (802) 233-6621.

I've hunted with Reilly 3x over the last 10 years and have seen his customer service and overall experience get better with every trip.

I'm also big on realistic expectations. Not every day can be the best hunt ever. In an area where tides change out at 10+ feet per day and winds can produces seas that will kill you; your guides job isn't only to get you ducks, it's also to keep you alive and get you home safe each and every day. On the second day he held us in the bay on what seamed like an average swell. We only shot 8 birds all day. I just learned that a local commercial fisherman died crashing his boat into the jetties in that swell, that day.

What I can say about Reilly is that every trip we get what we are after and get home safe at the end of the day. That sounds simple but it's a pretty big burden for a guy that takes a bunch of type A/ GO type personalities on a 3 day tour.

Thanks to Reilly another great experience and I'm looking forward to taking the family up for our June striper trip with the red headed Viking.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Idas. - 12/13/15 10:27 PM

Man that looks like a great time and those ducks are beautiful.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum