Texas Hunting Forum

Cows and Your Duck Ponds

Posted By: BallerCaller

Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 05:30 PM

I have heard people say they scare ducks off and people say cows do not bother ducks....what is your take?

From my experience ducks seem skittish and do not want to commit when they can see cattle around the pond I hunt.

Thoughts?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 06:04 PM

I'm not sure about cattle, but a herd of jackasses will flare dux every time.

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 06:06 PM

Actually I've hunted around cattle quite a bit. Never had a problem with them... other than the craters they leave along the shoreline. Not fun when picking up dekes.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BallerCaller
I have heard people say they scare ducks off and people say cows do not bother ducks....what is your take?

From my experience ducks seem skittish and do not want to commit when they can see cattle around the pond I hunt.

Thoughts?

Buddy yesterday was telling me 2 cows followed him as he was walking up to a tank to check it. 14 gadwall never even gave him a second look and he got up to about 20 yards from them. might be changing our tactics come second split!
Posted By: zbot11

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 06:14 PM

Could be a strong addition to your blind set up.

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Originally Posted By: BallerCaller

Thoughts?

Buddy yesterday was telling me 2 cows followed him as he was walking up to a tank to check it. 14 gadwall never even gave him a second look and he got up to about 20 yards from them. might be changing our tactics come second split!

Apparently there is a market for it:

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 06:18 PM

haha ZachW a few years ago you'd be onto somethin!
Posted By: Creek2Creek

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 07:10 PM

Ducks don't flare over cattle. Their hooves are killer on duck food though. The SC lakes I have got a lot of cattle around them. No problems at all. Where we plant and flood, we keep the cattle out 6 months of the year.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 08:51 PM

The only problems I have with cows are:

1)They eat damn near everything.
2) Cow holes.

I've seen a duck land on a cow's back. bolt
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ZachW

Used to use something similar to sneak on snow goose feeds in NoDak. We just used a plywood cut out in the shape of a cow and some paint. Worked awesome for sneaking up to em & when you dropped your shied and let the Saigas bark...quite the sight to see
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

So you have hunted with Dave Speer, Garrett and Hogman too?
Posted By: john paul

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Originally Posted By: ZachW

Used to use something similar to sneak on snow goose feeds in NoDak. We just used a plywood cut out in the shape of a cow and some paint. Worked awesome for sneaking up to em & when you dropped your shied and let the Saigas bark...quite the sight to see

We have had great success using the real geese cow silhouette. I was amazed how well it worked the first couple times we used it!

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

So you have hunted with Dave Speer, Garrett and Hogman too?

peep

The cow silhouettes would be great for sneaking up on snows and skillet shootin' em. Wait, does that ring a bell as a thing last year or two or did I just imagine that?
Posted By: teal.slayer14

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 09:49 PM

In the book, A Hundred Years of Texas Waterfowl Hunting, it talks about training cows to slowly walk up to ponds while hunters followed behind so they could jump shoot ducks and geese.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 10:41 PM

Well...sounds like we've finally found a use for a cow besides eating them.

I love to eat them but I sure hate to hunt around them...they are stupid and will mess with you. Don't even think about trying to build a blind where they are...there isn't much they won't eat.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/09/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Well...sounds like we've finally found a use for a cow besides eating them.

I love to eat them but I sure hate to hunt around them...they are stupid and will mess with you. Don't even think about trying to build a blind where they are...there isn't much they won't eat.

And where they eat, is where they chit!

Layouts become even a bigger mess.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/10/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: teal.slayer14
In the book, A Hundred Years of Texas Waterfowl Hunting, it talks about training cows to slowly walk up to ponds while hunters followed behind so they could jump shoot ducks and geese.

Not cows, they used steers
Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/11/15 02:19 AM

That was a pretty entertaining read and some good thoughts/points. Thanks!
Posted By: shalor

Re: Cows and Your Duck Ponds - 12/11/15 03:06 AM

I will add to this discussion, that where ducks are on tanks or other water and are routinely scared off by someone feeding cattle, they are generally used to coming back in a short period of time...as they don't typically get shot at when run off by the person feeding. This tends to lead itself to good opportunities to Drive up and kick the ducks off the tank throw a few decoys down and let them come back …At least that's been my experience hunting our places which all have cattle on them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum